Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why exactly did Roy Jones Jr not fight Lennox Lewis after defeating Ruiz?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roy started his career as a JMW.

Him going to HVWT was just the icing on the cake. He really didn't even "HAVE" to do that. He could've been content with dominating boxing like he was doing at 175 and below.

What he did was like Demetrius Andrade going up to HVWT and beating Alexander Povetkin and not one of the K2 bros.

Big fckin deal, shoot the guy.

Comment

What are you going talking about? The fight actually did almost happen, and the Roy was trying to make the fight happen, even I’m not sure but I believe Lennox said it didn’t happen because of a scheduling conflict. After the Ruiz fight, Lennon had a fight lined up already, and Roy couldn’t get Holyfield(because Holyfield said Roy wasn’t treating him like a legend) , Tyson but he wanted way too much for that, and Lennox, so only fight he felt was open was Tarver who was stalking him after every fight.

There was an interview by Murrad Muhammad on fight hype a few years ago detailing the whole thing check it out if you guys want, but just don’t post because Roy was scared or Roy didn’t take the fight whether it was fair or not, with out actually looking up the facts

Comment

Roy was Floyd before Floyd was.

Comment

To big dude, Mayweather cant even fight canelo or martinez 5 pounds above his weight but Jones should give up 75 pounds over his weight?

Comment

I wasn't into boxing back then when jones fought Ruiz so can someone explain to me how he challenged for the heavyweight title when he only came in st 199 I think

Comment

good info pugilist!

Comment

Originally posted by ColdCa$hCanelo View Post
                Roy was Floyd before Floyd was.
                Exactly.

But i do give credit for making a ton of ppv fights where roy only had the toney and ruiz fights and tarver adn ppv caliber fights

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  Exactly.

But i do give credit for making a ton of ppv fights where roy only had the toney and ruiz fights and tarver adn ppv caliber fights
                  And Hopkins, and Montel Griffin, and Virgil Hill, and Joe Calzaghe, and Glen Johnson, and Reggie Johnson.

Comment

Because he wanted a $100 Million guarantee.

Comment

After failed negotiations with a potential fight with Evander Holyfield fell through for $25 Million, he moved on to Mike Tyson for a fight for $50 Million. When that fight failed to materialize, he then moved on to Lennox Lewis for a proposed bout of a $100 Million. When those talks also failed, his promoter at the time Murad Muhammad was trying to secure him a bout with the South African South Paw Heavyweight; The late Corrie Sanders for substantially less money. Even less than what he earned for the John Ruiz fight. Since the reward was not worth the risk, He subsequently abandoned the Heavyweight division altogether, to go back down and compete at his natural and most comfortable weight class of 175 lbs to challenge Antonio Tarver for the WBC title belt, he had previously relinquished, in order to challenge Ruiz' for his WBA Heavyweight title belt.

Comment

Working...
                      X