Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotto eyes $10 million purse for Canelo fight

Cotto eyes $10 million purse against Canelo

By Rey Colón -The Sport Press

Three-time world champion in different divisions Miguel Cotto reportedly could earn a purse of $10 million in a September 14th showdown against undefeated WBC/WBA 154-pound champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez. The fight would be a production of Canelo Promotions, Golden Boy Promotions and Miguel Cotto Promotions so the negotiations to reach a financial agreement shouldn’t present problems given Cotto’s close relationship with Oscar de la Hoya, President of GBP. Although Cotto has lost his last two fights, his market value hasn’t diminished dramatically due to how close the fights were against Floyd Mayweather Jr. and then Austin Trout.

Canelo will prabably get like 5Mills with atleast 45% of the PPVs.

And before the mexis get their panties wet, Cotto is a proven PPV seller!!

Comment

Can't blame him. This is possibly his last big fight, its against a dangerous/young opponent and could possibly be his last fight.

It's either $10M for this one or make a couple million per fight over 3-4 softer touches and make the $10M that way.

Comment

I'm a huge Cotto fan but i don't think he deserves this fight without another W.

Only way this fight makes sense is if they want to make Floyd vs. Canelo in may 2014, and have them both take relatively low risk fights. Floyd vs. Khan and Canelo vs. Cotto.

Do i like that idea? No. But i could see how it makes financial sense.

Comment

I don't think Canelo will get less money than Cotto, he is the principal attraction and the champion...

Comment

Cotto will earn every penny of that $10M too because Canelo will punish him.

Comment

Canelo going Manny Pacquiao trying to fight Cotto.

Comment

good move Cotto, time to cash out

Comment

See. I've been saying Floyd and Canelo aren't fighting in September. It doesn't make sense business wise for Showtime. They can put up this fight and sell a ton, then make WAY more money on the Floyd-Canelo fighting having it in May of next year. I don't think Floyd is fighting Khan in September though. It'll probably be Alexander for better or worse, but Khan is waiting on the winner of the 140lb tournament. If he gets beat by Floyd, there's no point really. Unless the winner of that fights Floyd.

Anyway, I don't really see Cotto troubling Canelo too much. He keeps switching trainers like socks. Doesn't seem to have the same drive for boxing anymore. I believe Canelo stops him. Cotto is just doing this for the payday.

Comment

I am sure this fight will happen. I don't know if it will be on September 14th or not with Mayweather saying he will fight on that date. Golden Boy may try to move the date a few weeks but Canelo is set on fighting on that date. I pick Canelo to KO Cotto. I think this will be Cotto's retirement fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X