No announcement yet.

Unbeaten fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
    I know what your point is and I disagree.

I also disagree with the mathematics you used to prove your point.

I can think of many fighters with great records who had an 80% chance of being undefeated after fighting said fighters.
    So what's my point?
    You can't disagree with the mathematics... it is what it is

Name one (of many) with 40+ fights and tell me how did you get figure of 80%?

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
      Sure, everything can happen, that's why I put it in form of probabilities. It doesn't matter if it's boxing match or card game. The laws are the same.

There is no way to tell exactly what are the chances, but one can get some indication. that's why there is no many unbeaten fighters out there with 40+ fights.
      yeah but you are not dealing with probability... Not in the least. What if I am a one armed spaz and Florence Mayweather (Floyd's half sister that nobody knows about) fought me 45 times....She is 6 feet and all muscle...well the laws of probability should apply the same right? Obviously not. Floyd fighting Guererro versus me...is different right?

You need values that dictate how much each opponent has a chance of winning for the laws of probability to apply. These laws have to be consistent throughout. Then you can claim these laws apply.

Comment

if you haven't been beaten..... you haven't been fighting the right people.

the greats all have losses, multiple losses, some in their prime. guys like ali, robinson, louis, duran.....

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
          yeah but you are not dealing with probability... Not in the least. What if I am a one armed spaz and Florence Mayweather (Floyd's half sister that nobody knows about) fought me 45 times....She is 6 feet and all muscle...well the laws of probability should apply the same right? Obviously not. Floyd fighting Guererro versus me...is different right?

You need values that dictate how much each opponent has a chance of winning for the laws of probability to apply. These laws have to be consistent throughout. Then you can claim these laws apply.
          In the first case I assume you would have 0.001% of winning and your chances of being beaten every time out of 45 times would be quite high.

On the other hand if Ghost had 5% (I don't know if he did) chance of beating Floyd his chances of beating Floyd at least once in 45 fights would be great. (90%+).

So I didn't exactly get your point. Probability is blind. It can be Floyd fighting Ghost or you trying to score the basket from the other end of field.
          Last edited by Simurgh; 05-08-2013, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
            if you haven't been beaten..... you haven't been fighting the right people.

the greats all have losses, multiple losses, some in their prime. guys like ali, robinson, louis, duran.....
            And my point is that they would likely lose even if they fought fighters that had only 5% chance of beating them.

Comment

Sven Ottke

/thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post
                Sven Ottke

/thread.
                Sven fought 34 times and he fought pretty weak opponents. Probably many of those didn't have more than 2-3% of beating him. So he had quite a good chance of being unbeaten.

To put some more meaning to this. How many fighters Floyd fought had more than 10% of beating him?

Comment

Working...
                X