Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking back.. why did so many pick Donaire over Rigo?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
    I was one of the 40% who picked Rigo, but why did some think Donaire would win so easily?

Rigo has shared the ring with Gamboa, Russell Jr, Mares, Abril among another host of top class fighters. It was Donaire actually who was the less experienced fighter going in.
    More like 10% than 40%. I predicted a Rigoneaux victory but was concerned that Donaire might hit him with something big and get the KO. I only saw Donaire having a punchers chance.
    Looking back I think there are several reasons why Donairewas expected to win . The Pinoy contingent would never see anything but a Donaire victory. Reasons that were given were his power and a better pro resume but I did not buy into that as it was not 2 resumes entering the ring it was 2 men and Rigondeaux had a phenominal amateur resume and was the far better boxer. Size also came into the equation,Donaire was much bigger and this contributed to his backing.People are very sheep like and Donaire was getting so much backing that people tend to join the heard and not go against the grain and most don't know their boxing. It was obvious to me that Rigondeaux had VASTLY superior boxing skills but the masses don't see that because they don't know what to look for and Donaire's power is so obvious it is impossible to miss. All this and the media hype behind Donaire distorted reality.

Comment

everyone saying 10% not 40%

A lot of people backed Rigo.

Donaire simply didn't turn up. The better man on the night won.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
        The sight of Rigo getting wobbled by those left hooks v Marroquin was definitely a factor. I don't think many people thought Donaire would win a boxing match but most people thought he'd land his money shot at some point and get Rigo out of there.

I went back and forth on it several times and in the end I thought Rigo couldn't go 12 rounds without that shot landing at some point. As it happened it landed in the first round and once he took it I instantly felt Donaire was fucked.
        I'm agree, I felt the same

Comment

A lot of people didn't know how good Rigo was and how he would perform in a big fight. Having talent is one thing, but putting it all together against a top 5 pfp guy is another. Rigo's fans knew how good he may have truly been. I knew he was good, but I didn't expect him to walk all over Donaire like he did, and show great defense. I expected a Donaire ko. Rigo surprised a lot of his own fans. Props to Rigo. He earned them in the ring where it counts.

Boxing knowledge does not come down to picking winners and losers. We all have picked guys to win and they lost.

The heart can't ever be measured when it comes to this fight game.
          Last edited by Frank Ducketts; 05-02-2013, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
            A lot of people didn't know how good Rigo was and how he would perform in a big fight. Having talent is one thing, but putting it all together against a top 5 pfp guy is another. Rigo's fans knew how good he may have truly been. I knew he was good, but I didn't expect him to walk all over Donaire like he did, and show great defense. I expected a Donaire ko. Rigo surprised a lot of his own fans. Props to Rigo. He earned them in the ring where it counts.

Boxing knowledge does not come down to picking winners and losers. We all have picked guys to win and they lost.

The heart can't ever be measured when it comes to this fight game.
            Rigondeaux fans knew he was that good...

Comment

Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
              I was one of the 40% who picked Rigo, but why did some think Donaire would win so easily?

Rigo has shared the ring with Gamboa, Russell Jr, Mares, Abril among another host of top class fighters. It was Donaire actually who was the less experienced fighter going in.
              Most of the people that picked Donaire to win "easily" based their predictions on Nonito's power, resume and professional experience. There were a number of guys that didn't know much about Rigo and expected a top-five P4P fighter to tear right through an "unproven amateur." Then there were the questions about Guillermo's chin. He had reacted strangely to a Ricardo Cordoba jab and got rocked by a couple of good Robert Marroquin hooks.

On the other side of the coin, you had very few posters that thought Rigondeaux would win easily. The only two that immediately come to mind are dan_cov and Nekronicle. As most of us know, Dan has been championing Rigo from the start. There were a few others that displayed some confidence in Guillermo, but very few displayed the certainty those two had.

I must admit that I didn't share the same enthusiasm the above men did. I considered the fight a toss-up, with Donaire the slight favorite. Watching the fight at Radio City, I cringed when I saw Rigo engage early and catch a couple of good shots. I knew that if Guillermo could withstand Nonito's power he'd have a good chance of winning, but I never expected the kind of performance Rigondeaux delivered. "El Chacal" not only made me proud, he pleasantly surprised me by completely owning the 2012 fighter of the year.

Comment

Donaire with that rigid style of his had almost zero chances. I knew this was going to be a memorable schooling ala Trinidad-Wright.

Comment

Man from the first round I already knew where this fight was going.

Once I saw Rigo take a shot and deliver his own and was willing to exchange I already knew. He showed he could take Donaire's punch and return with a harder one and of course he had the technical advantage on his side.

I was still nervous/pumped as hell and couldn't even eat.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

People thought Rigo getting caught off balance meant that he was gonna get ko'd easily.

Comment

if there is a rematch i'd pick donaire again

Comment

Working...
                      X