Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To what degree will Pacs legacy be haunted by the fact he never "took the test"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by junior gong View Post
    I think you will find that it goes beyond NSB, it has in my experience anyway. I'm not sure how Manny got embarrased...he got starched, its part of the sport. It didnt do the likes of Duran any harm, he is still regarded as a far greater fighter than Manny and Floyd. I wouldnt be so sure about Floyd's legacy being set either, at least not in the way you and the slurpies want it to be. His body of work was pretty solid until the comeback, which has been a bit shit, to be fair and certainly not anything like it should be.

Kayoed, starched, planked or whatever you want to call it, Manny will be remembered with a great deal more respect than Floyd ever will. This testing bs wont be an issue to anyone other than your rather strange company. Sorry.
    Duran got starched by Thomas fcking Hearns. Manny got starched by a blown up lightweight.

Comment

I think history will be kind to him due to being close to the definition of modern day 'Warrior'. Being involved in classic fights; quadrilogy with Marquez, Morales Trilogy, Barrera duels etc. In relation to 'Taking the test' issue, I think the only group that are keeping that discussion alive are the fanatical fans of Mayweather & Pacquiao.

What the Pacquiao-Marquez IV proved to me was; Pacquiao is a fucking warrior and has so much more guts than Mayweather. I believe he was keen on the fight but maybe he is partly to blame due to not standing up to Arum who made roadblocks on his behalf. Facing his worst style match-up for 4 and maybe even 5 fights? Crazy huh? This is coming from a Floyd guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Capncrunch View Post
        Duran got starched by Thomas fcking Hearns. Manny got starched by a blown up lightweight.
        The problem with this comparison is that Duran literally took a full 18 months to get away from the game. He then built his way back slowly for the next 2 years and 8 bouts later to successfully challenge Barkley for the the Middleweight title. There's a stark difference.

The fact that I hear Pacquiao-Alvarado for Oct. is a worrying sign to me, but I guess we'll find out whether Pac's chin is cracked or not.

Comment

funny how arum is blamed for everything except the mayweather fight how convenient. the guy did everything possible to not make that fight even pac fans have to admit that. same with golden boy cause in the end mayweather is really a golden boy fighter. i think history will show the both of them were being played for fools by there promoters i think both fighters honestly wanted to make that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by damuttz112 View Post
            I think history will be kind to him due to being close to the definition of modern day 'Warrior'. Being involved in classic fights; quadrilogy with Marquez, Morales Trilogy, Barrera duels etc. In relation to 'Taking the test' issue, I think the only group that are keeping that discussion alive are the fanatical fans of Mayweather & Pacquiao.

What the Pacquiao-Marquez IV proved to me was; Pacquiao is a fucking warrior and has so much more guts than Mayweather. I believe he was keen on the fight but maybe he is partly to blame due to not standing up to Arum who made roadblocks on his behalf. Facing his worst style match-up for 4 and maybe even 5 fights? Crazy huh? This is coming from a Floyd guy.
            I disagree here.

"Guts" would be fighting the best when they still are the best. No shortcuts.

I'd have to say that Mayweather has made a trend of fighting the best ranked champions available throughout his career. IMO, that's guts. Not only that, its excellence to have remained undefeated while doing so.

Pacquiao on the other hand has not always fought the best ranked or available fighters. And even then he's been knocked out and outboxed by those who were not the best.

There's no guts in that. It takes guts to get in the ring, granted. But you can only blame so much on your promoter before you begin to appear like either an idiot or a willing participant.

Comment

I'm a neutral fan, a fan of boxing and I like both fighters but I believe Floyd will come off worse in the long run for his selection of fighters and when he fought them or didnt fight them, including Manny and all the saga around it. The end result will be, Floyd didn't face him.

Maybe i'll be wrong and Manny carries the can, but I dont think so.

Comment

Originally posted by damuttz112 View Post
                The problem with this comparison is that Duran literally took a full 18 months to get away from the game. He then built his way back slowly for the next 2 years and 8 bouts later to successfully challenge Barkley for the the Middleweight title. There's a stark difference.

The fact that I hear Pacquiao-Alvarado for Oct. is a worrying sign to me, but I guess we'll find out whether Pac's chin is cracked or not.
                Duran had a good chin, he just went up against the biggest puncher ever with a clear size advantage. It's an awful comparison really.

Comment

Aaron Pryor actually had a bottle of "mixed water" with him inside the ring, and, from what I can tell, it hasn't hurt his legacy.

Comment

Not as much as what his catchweight crusade will.

Comment

Originally posted by HooksInYou View Post
                      Aaron Pryor actually had a bottle of "mixed water" with him inside the ring, and, from what I can tell, it hasn't hurt his legacy.
                      A lot of the informed will tell you that it does in fact taint his greatest win, and it should. horrible act by pryor!

Comment

Working...
                      X