Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Scully on Dawson: “He sort of turned a corner in his life”

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll respond to those questions when I get to my laptop...harder to do on this phone

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyDempsey View Post
      Right, I'm not saying it was your call. I'm just at odds with the fact that you're so vocal about what a mistake it was after the fact, when you agreed to train him and go along with that entire premise for the fight. You weren't vocal about it being a mistake while you were training him, right?

My view is either you shouldn't have accepted the role to begin with, or that since you had no problem helping train him that you shouldn't now be saying it was a no-brainer, huge blunder for him to go down to 168. It's contradictory, no?
      IDK if that was the case. He probably voiced his opinion to Dawson early on. He just didnt make it public. However, Chad talked alot about feeding his family. If your fighter wants to do it, you dont just turn your back and throw him to the wolves. You say I dont agree with it but if its what you want then we'll go for it and see if we can shock the world.

Also, its not like its all Scully. Chad has been saying it non stop since the bell ended and he gave his interview. I dont see whats so bad about Scully saying Chad shouldnt have went down when a ton of people feel the same. I think he probably feels like that Chad is trying to blame him when the biggest reason for the loss is that you wanted to go down in weight and Ward is just that good anyways.

You may be right if he never said anything but I think he probably did in-house before the fight. Infact, if you read his interview about his own weight making problems then Im sure he let Chad know that it wont be nearly as easy as he thinks. Also, remember at 1st that everyone thought it would be a catch-weight fight. Maybe Scully was more open to that but not all the way to 168. Im sure he probably hit the breaks on that one

Comment

Originally posted by jbpanama View Post
        We don't know...Maybe Scully advised Dawson against it....
        Maybe Dawson was lured by the BUCKS$$$, and could
        Not make the Deal at 175?
        ....DUMB MOVE
        Buck$$$?

Dawson got payed $600,000, it's a nice chunk of change but going down in weight & in another boxers home town, he should've been payed more.

Comment

Why didn`t scully tell Chad not to take the fight at 168 before the fight?Sound`s like Scully is trying to save face.And i remember Dawson saying that he offered Ward a fight at a catchwweight but Ward turned it down and told Dawson that the fight can only happen at 168.I also remember Dawson saying to Larry Merchant that he would give Ward 3 options:Ward can meet Dawson at 175,or a catchweight or Dawson can come down to 168.

Comment

OK, NO....I am not trying to save face...not at all. Understand, u know when I found out this fight was being made? The same exact moment YOU ALL did...after the Hopkins fight in the ring when Chad said it to Max...I was standing next to him and I said to the guy next to me, "WHAT did he just say?!?!?"

I wouldnt have said anything, it is what it is and we lost, fine...BUT I have members of his team saying right after the fight that "the weight played no factor"...THEY were trying to save face, not me...now, when u say it wasnt the weight then what was it? I'd -as the trainer- be next in line for blame, no? They wanted to say the weight had no bearing at all but I knew better. I have a life and job outside of Chad Dawson...he is CHAD DAWSON, he's always going to make money and get opportunities as champion. But my livelihood is affected here so as my own man I needed to make it right. If someone involved says the weight was not a factor then I certainly am justified in standing up at that point and making light of what I know, correct? Wouldnt you do that in defense of yourself? From day one, despite my better judgement, I was told that making 168 would be no problem whatsoever. I parroted that based on what the man in charge told me...and because thats what we do in the boxing game? Or did anyone really expect me or any other trainer on earth to tell the media and the world wide web what we REALLY thought? NEVER go by what anyone tells you before a fight because before a fight everyone "is in the best shape of their life, this was the greatest camp in history and I'm honored to be here." Chad Dawson had a TERRIBLE time making 168 pounds and I had absolutely zero to do with that. That's my word. If I did I would own up to it becaue there is no shape in losing to a great fighter in Andre Ward and we all can micalculate how the human body will respond when it is faced with trauma. I made it known within the camp on AUGUST 14th that I felt things were being done wrong...and I was dismissed and rebuffed. In hindsight, although the rebuffer will never admit it, I knew more than he did. Period. I was asked about it by this interviewer and I answered the questions...I have every right to defend myself here. Agreed or no?
            Last edited by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY; 03-27-2013, 01:43 PM.

Comment

It doesn't matter who would have helped Dawson or how he would have made 168. The outcome would have been the same.

He simply doesn't belong there.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopymiller View Post
                It doesn't matter who would have helped Dawson or how he would have made 168. The outcome would have been the same.

He simply doesn't belong there.
                i agree that he would have been a diminished version of himself at 168, regardless of how he was prepared. John obviously feels the same, because he's saying that he felt it was an unwise move for Chad to go to 168 from the jump. i guess his point is that Chad could have been less diminished by the making weight if prepared differently.

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyDempsey
                  It still doesn't make any sense to me that John Scully was his trainer for the fight at 168 pounds and gives all these interviews about what an "obvious, huge mistake" the decision to go down in weight was.
                  He explained it to us here on a post. He has no say in what Dawson says or does. His only job is to train. He doesn't manage or promote. He said even if he did they were already too deep into negotiations.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by 1PunchKOPOW!
                    Quote:

Originally Posted by SonnyDempsey

It still doesn't make any sense to me that John Scully was his trainer for the fight at 168 pounds and gives all these interviews about what an "obvious, huge mistake" the decision to go down in weight was.

He explained it to us here on a post. He has no say in what Dawson says or does. His only job is to train. He doesn't manage or promote. He said even if he did they were already too deep into negotiations.

Nvm Iceman just posted above.

Good post. Sad part is, majority of the people will miss that post and still have their "wrong" opinion on this matter.

Comment

NUTSHELL:

July 7 - 182 pounds

August 13 - 184 pounds

September 6 - 175 pounds

September 7 - 168.

NO GOOD.

Comment

Working...
                      X