No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: HBO Ends Golden Boy Relationship, Passes on Broner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big_L View Post
    all the corrales/castillo/casamayor/freitas fights were showtime. vasquez/marquez series. a lot of guys like ward and dawson came up on showtime only to have hbo come in and take them with big $$$.

showtime has been doing more with less than hbo for years.
    Absolutely right.

As a matter of fact, I've seen better matchmaking on ESPN2 than I've seen on HBO.

Ever since Al Haymon became a power broker on HBO I've seen a decline in good fights on the network.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
      Most of the one-sided showcases we saw on HBO were Golden Boy fights weren't they? Hopefully Golden Boy will step their matchmaking up in response to all the stuff that's happening. With any luck both sides will.
      Not only GBP, but fights that the advisor Al Haymon was involved in specifically.

Comment

HBO's current programming outside of boxing alone makes it the A class of cable television. Quality programming, but in terms of boxing this could be a big blow even though for the past year it really has felt like GB didn't really want anything to do with HBO. Putting the majority of their quality fighters over on Showtime and eventually taking Floyd with them. Interesting turn of events I'm just curious to see what HBO does in return.

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
          Showtime got that free publicity for Broner.
          HBO's real stupid for that......

Originally posted by kokingbill View Post
          at least they went ahead and made it official. It has been all but for a while now. Golden Boy and Al Haymon are LAME. As big a D-bag as Arum is, I thinK GBP is closing themselves off to the rest of boxing--Putting themselves on an island. Maybe Showtime can make GBP into its own strikeforce type league like it already has for MMA
          GBP is more than just Showtime - you must have forgotten the numerous shows they have on other (yet lesser) networks, while Top Rank, is just Top Stank......

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post
          You're joking right? The only thing Kellerman is good at is recalling old fights. He should be a boxing historian and not an announcer.
          +1 - Finally, someone who gets it!

Originally posted by Big_L View Post
          i do worry about hbo putting their trust in bob arum. bob is gonna do what bob wants to do and if hbo doesn't like it, he'll just do a top rank ppv. top rank is gonna need to be willing to work with all the other promoters and put on the best matchups for this to work.

if hbo is gonna have less live boxing b/c of this i hope they make up for it with other things like another legendary nights series or something new.
          Along with his filter, Uncle Slob has lost his mind = bad business. HBO's gonna have problems......

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
          I remember when HBO and GBP worked very closely with each other and HBO ended up losing money cuz their fights sucked and didn't sell ****

Same thing is gonna happen here, SHO and GBP don't know how to promote fights and build a fighter into a PPV star

This is just a short list on the stars Top Rank has built from scratch

Muhammad Ali, Alexis Argüello, Oscar De La Hoya, Roberto Durán, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Marvin Hagler, Manny Pacquiao, Sugar Ray Leonard, Floyd Mayweather Jr., Erik Morales, Thomas Hearns, Paulie Ayala, Iran Barkley, Michael Carbajal, Larry Holmes, Ray Mancini, Carlos Monzón, Terry Norris, Gabriel Ruelas, Rafael Ruelas, James Toney, and many others.

This is a list of stars GBP has built from scratch

NADA
          Your breath must stink (at least your fingers smell like shyte) from all the shyte you come up with. Top Rank built Ali, Foreman, Holmes? Man, get Pac's legumes out your mouth & do your homework before you post......

Originally posted by R1DG3Z View Post
          I know that, but a PPV usually indicates a high level match up. What's that say about SHO's recent history?
          PPV = crappy undercard & mismatch. How many of those HBO has had? So, what were you trying to say again?

Comment

Originally posted by Heru View Post
            Good post...

This announcement by Hershman is just as much a verbal commitment to Top Rank as it is an exile of Golden Boy.

Arum just talked HBO into forfeiting their leverage by getting them to officially cut ties with his main competitor. He has HBO to himself at this point. If HBO can have success showing Rios, Alvarado, Allakhverdiev, Bradley, Provodnikov, and the like, more power to them. There are excellent fights in that mix, but, unfortunately, these aren't fighters that garner good ratings (regardless of how good the fight looks beforehand).

Showtime has been experiencing their best boxing and overall ratings since last year when they've been almost an exclusive GBP network and with Broner on his way it figures to only get better.
            Top Rank usually produces good fights. As a matter of fact, the best fights on HBO in the last couple of years have been mostly Top Rank.

Comment

Showtime is gonna have to show replays the next morning to win me over, I can't stand that they don't do that.

Comment

I actually think that both HBO and SHOWTIME will produce better fights because now the line has been drawn.

The bad news is that we're going to have divisions where the 2 best fighters will no fight each other because of their association by promoter.

Comment

HBO is mad cause they gave GBP almost all of their dates a few years ago and GBP had a bunch of stank a$s fights... but GBP been steadily moving their high profile fighters to Showtime... HBO it seems doesn't want to pay off such lack of loyalty

Comment

What the **** is the point of choosing sides? First GBP and TR decide not to make the best fights happen because they will be putting money in each other's pockets and that's the worst thing in the world obviously, far more important than making the fights ppl wanna see. Now they getting HBO to side with TR for what? Why would u want to limit yourself to a smaller handful of talent and eliminate any possibility of potential fights b/w diff promoted guys? U basically just said goodbye to the 140 division cuz u lost Broner too now so all u got is Rios and Alvarado...I guess u can make them fight 10 more times. HBO ****ed up and its a disgrace for the sport's pioneering network to turn its back and **** it up like this...I hope these scumbags lose everything on this deal

Comment

• Showtime its seems to me since i been watching boxing that Showtime has always known real talent and show cased fighters that would later jump to Hbo example; Hatton, Hamed, Calzaghe, J.Diaz, Rocky, Bojado all fought on Showtime multiple times before they were than showcased on Hbo.

Comment

Working...
                      X