No announcement yet.

I think Floyd left HBO for other reasons

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thornton Melon View Post
    You need some help. Show proof of HBO ripping him 90% of the time. Whether you like him or not Merchant told the truth no matter who the fighter is and he was actually giving Mayweather praise when Mayweather went off on him. This is a silly argument, if HBO would have had a better offer than Showtime then Floyd would still be at HBO and he would be singing their praises.
    Merchant was not as quick to tell "the truth" when it came to pacquiao.

Comment

HBO said fight Pacquiao or gtfo. So...

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
        I think HBO indeed have tried to play matchmaker for Floyd. I remember Ross Greenburg talking about his meetings in 2009 trying to make the Pacquiao fight with Floyd and Schaeffer and how he stated "We tried to make the fight happen but Floyd just seemed reluctant". I'm sure HBO's offer as far as money was good, but if Floyd doesn't have complete control (at this point) then I don't think he'll pull the trigger.
        You might want to get your timeline right

Comment

I think it was strictly money

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
            Floyd went to Showtime because they offered him big money for B level opponents, not because Larry Merchant bullied him.

this right here...........

Comment

HBO probably wanted Canelo. Floyd insisted on Alexander or Guerrero. They make millions of dollars every minute from their regular programming. They're sick of Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                Why on earth are you assuming that they 'wanted to tear him down'?

Your argument is basically that because HBO only kissed his ass 90% of the time instead of 100% of the time, he couldn't be expected to tolerate it and left accordingly.

Anyone who thinks that HBO was actually trying to destroy Mayweather (bearing in mind all the money that Floyd Mayweather fights generate for them), really needs to take the fanboy blinkers off and go for a long walk.

HBO, like Showtime, glorify their big draws. A tiny element of dissenting opinion amidst a vast ocean of fawning adoration and ass kissing is not the same as trying to tear someone down. At least not in the eyes of anyone who's not a fanatical fanboy.
                You are speaking complete sense.

Comment

floyd got treated that way he did because he deserved it ...can you imagine what larry holmes , evander hollyfiled, ray leonrad, etc would've said considering they all thought floyd was scared?....hell , if anything hbo crew were holding back....

Comment

This is my take on why he and HBO parted ways.

Plain and simple, they felt he was asking for more money than what they felt he was worth at this point in his career. Obviously he wanted a long term guaranteed money contract. At this point, how many high profile blockbuster fights are out there for Floyd in order for HBO to guarantee him $30-40mil per fight? It was too risky for HBO to make that gamble and as a result they rather lose him then lose out financially in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacquiao'd View Post
                      You might want to get your timeline right
                      Excuse me, 2010

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=5412488

Comment

Working...
                      X