No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Team Martinez: We'll Fight Canelo, Only at 160 and on HBO

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R-NEAL View Post
    Lol I don't expect Sergio to fight lower than MW anymore, period(which is what i just said earlier and was very clear when i said it). I don't think he can make the weight comfortbly.
    Right, but him not going below 157 is no proof of anything. Him going below 158 without a CW is evidence he's got some leeway. I'm sure he'd be weakened at 54, but he wants it, and it's not like Floyd is overwhelming at middle, he could use a little help. If he really wants to make it more fair, they can always make it a 156 or whatever.

Comment

So Ward is rated #2 and proven. But he totally gets a pass for being to small for Ward. So really, its about Sergio cashing out at 38.
      Why would Martinez move up to 168 (a division he's never fought in) to fight Ward? What's in it for him? Martinez actually made more money against Macklin (1.5 mil) than Ward did against Dawson (1.3 mil). Mayweather on the other hand is a huge money fight and just by fighting Mayweather Martinez would instantly become a household name. If Martinez actually beat Mayweather (high possibility) he'd become a superstar. If Martinez moved up and beat Ward (unlikely) he would be applauded by hardcore fans but would not become a household name nor make close to the money he'd make against Chavez Jr in a rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
        That does not matter assuming Canelo gets past Trout, Canelo would then be Martinez's gateway into a Mayweather fight, it doesn't get any better than that for Sergio. The public, media will call for it, instigate it, pretty much name it. Haven't been content with some of Martinez's recent opponents, but that division is poor and as I said, I don't think he can be healthy at 154 so...
        This is all assumption, "gateway to a floyd fight"? You're confused, you mean he has to beat Andre Berto

Comment

So Ward is rated #2 and proven. But he totally gets a pass for being to small for Ward. So really, its about Sergio cashing out at 38.
          No doubt. He deserves it, don't you think? It's not like he's been cashing in for years, like Floyd/Pac. He's also wicked old (for a p4p speedster), his window is very small.

Comment

Two years ago, Sergio was beggin to get a fight, now he's about to fill a soccer field against Murray and can say to Canelo come to 160 or stfo *****! It's funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
              This is all assumption, "gateway to a floyd fight"? You're confused, you mean he has to beat Andre Berto
              Yeah, I'm getting way too ahead of myself. Things normally don't go that smooth as for the bold, Keith Thurman seems to think so too lol

Comment

lol at Martinez thinking he can call the shots. You can scratch him of the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                  This. Seems like Martinez would have to be pretty damn naive to think beating the winner of Trout/Alvarez would get him a Floyd fight. Especially as Floyd seems reluctant to fight the much more marketable, much less proven Canelo. Maybe they can get Floyd to sign a guarantee to face the winner?

Comment

Originally posted by BafanaBafana View Post
                    Why would Martinez move up to 168 (a division he's never fought in) to fight Ward? What's in it for him? Martinez actually made more money against Macklin (1.5 mil) than Ward did against Dawson (1.3 mil). Mayweather on the other hand is a huge money fight and just by fighting Mayweather Martinez would instantly become a household name. If Martinez actually beat Mayweather (high possibility) he'd become a superstar. If Martinez moved up and beat Ward (unlikely) he would be applauded by hardcore fans but would not become a household name nor make close to the money he'd make against Chavez Jr in a rematch.
                    What's in it for Martinez? ? Its funny that some are required to fight for "legacy". I guess Andre Ward wouldn't be a legacy fight... my fault for holding Sergio to a similar standard that I thought we held all fighters too, which is legacy

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                      As Nacho Beristain says, Sergio could beat Canelo, Chavez Jr, and Jose Sulaiman on the one night
                      I disagree, Suliaman beat him when he ripped the WBC middleweight belt from his waist so Suliaman could gift it to Chavez Jr. However, Sergio probably could beat Jr and Canelo on the same night

Comment

Working...
                      X