No announcement yet.

Manny and the 40 million

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hindsight is always 20/20

The offer was kind of suspect though...it was a flat rate with no PPV. Floyd stated that. I mean, he gave Cotto a flat purse plus a small PPV cut and what did he get, a cool 12-14 million total, maybe less.

I think if I'm Manny I'm like, I want that PPV dollars...but, its been proven that Manny from a business standpoint isn't all that bright, so his people are probably coaxing him, telling him that Mayweather, getting all that PPV revenue will make 100M+ and you are making 40M flat. No small number, but these two mofos have such huge egos.

But i'm over this fight. I'd still watch it, but it wouldn't be with the same excitement I had in 2009. Like Mayweather/Cotto, I watched it and was entertained, but man, I'd give up a kidney to have watched a prime for prime fight in 2007. Oh well, such is life

Comment

We knew Marquez was a game threat for Manny after the 3rd fight. Pacquiao is a warrior so he's down to fight whoever, whenever, but that was a big risk they took and it will hurt them financially in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
        I don't know man, I can see the 40 mil offer from both sides. The fan in me says it was a lowball offer, but seeing it from the business side that Mayweather was talking about I can see why he offered him that. From what I heard recently in a Floyd interview he wanted to cut Arum out completely. He said something to the effect of giving Manny the 40 mil while not including Arum cause he didn't want to put money in Arum's pocket. that in turn would mean more money for Pac as he wouldn't be paying his 25% or however much he has to pay to Arum
        Perfectly put. Too many people here say they don't care about money but in return get all upset with this "money" offer.

We all know Floyd doesn’t need Pac to make A LOT of money as we all can see. However Pac needs Floyd, more than EVER at this point. Pac's biggest fight that Bob is so stuck on is another JMM fight. What will Pac make for that fight? NOT NO $40 MILLION. Pac will never make $40 million without May. Will Floyd? "Absolutely.... absolutely".
        Last edited by WESS; 02-27-2013, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
          We knew Marquez was a game threat for Manny after the 3rd fight. Pacquiao is a warrior so he's down to fight whoever, whenever, but that was a big risk they took and it will hurt them financially in the long run.
          I think that is How I feel. I still respect the fact that Manny would get back in the ring with a guy who challenged him the way Marquez has but now that we do have the advantage of hindsight. Since the break down of the fight. One fighter has gone on to earn purses less than what they were offered for the fight and was the victim of a devastating knockout which will ensure that he will make even less in his next fight. And the other has gone on to sign what has the potential to be the most lucrative contract in sports history. I think we can argue for years (which we already have) about whose legacy will be more affected by this fight not happening but its pretty clear whose pockets will be.

Comment

It was a poor offer. Its really is that simple.

Comment

How could Floyd and Pac simply "cut out Arum" when Pacquiao is under contract with top rank? People talk about Pac "buying out his contract" with top rank without knowing the details to Pac's contract are, I'm sure Arum has made it so its not that easy. Further one would have to assume Pac would want to buy out his contract in the first place.

So again, the offer was BS and would never have worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by Juof View Post
                Floyd never wanted the fight imo. Though both sides are to blame
                These types of arguments would hold weight if Floyd hadn't gone to the table with Pac.

Think Mayweather vs Margarito/PWill negotiations.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                  How could Floyd and Pac simply "cut out Arum" when Pacquiao is under contract with top rank? People talk about Pac "buying out his contract" with top rank without knowing the details to Pac's contract are, I'm sure Arum has made it so its not that easy. Further one would have to assume Pac would want to buy out his contract in the first place.

So it kind of sounds like you believe Arum has Manny in some type of contract that is more restrictive then ones he had on Floyd and Oscar since both of them were able to leave him and make much more money than they did wit him.

Comment

This thing with Arum. Pac's contract expired numerous times. One of those times Pac sent Koncz to Floyd's gym to negotiate the fight. Nothing came out of it. At the time, numerous offers were presented. There was one from a Singaporean businessman, Dubai, Jackson, etc. Floyd came up, once again, with tons of excuses not to fight. This is what uncle Roger was referring to. It was $150 million guarantee for Floyd. You gotta be nuts to decline that kind of offer says uncle Roger.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post

He should have left Top Rank whenever it was that his contract was up. Still could have fought Bradley(Bradley wouldn't have had to sign with Top Rank to fight Pacquiao), Marquez(I'm mum on the details of if Marquez is with Top Rank or not), and anyone down from Khan, to Garcia, to Ortiz. All the while making more money.

Now who is left? Marquez, Rios, and Bradley?

Comment

Working...
                      X