No announcement yet.

Manny and the 40 million

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RapidFire_Royce View Post
    Well with all due respect Majority of the posts on this site are "hypothetical nonsense" then

Rather than continue to argue about who would win I think at this point there is still some discussion that could be had about how ultimately this fight not happening is currently affecting each fighter.

I honestly think had Manny left TR this fight would have been made.
    He WAS going to leave Top Rank. The plan was to collaborate with Floyd and 50 cent and have partial ownership in the money team(50 cent and Floyd's promotional company) before it fell apart because Floyd ran out on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Strictly_UG View Post
      Getting none of the PPV cut(when all other floyd opponents do) for the most lucrative fight of the century(considering how accessible PPV is now compared to before) that wouldn't exist without Pacquiao is absolute BS

How can anybody think that's fair? When did Floyd become God, and why does Pacquiao have to bend over for him?

This was a duck.
      So From Manny's perspective you think it was a better financial move to Not accept the 40 mil? Knowing that for one fight it would have been his most lucrative choice? And what if he won? You don't think he could have then completely turned the tables as far as a money split for the rematch?

Comment

So From Manny's perspective you think it was a better financial move to Not accept the 40 mil? Knowing that for one fight it would have been his most lucrative choice? And what if he won? You don't think he could have then completely turned the tables as far as a money split for the rematch?
        It doesn't matter man.

How can you take a deal with no PPV cut, when you're half the the reason it exists.

He brings food to the table, he helps cook the food and set the table, but he only gets the scraps that floyd gives him?

That deal was unfair no matter how you look at it. Boxing is a sport of Pride.

Comment

I guess what I want to hear are the Financial reasons why turning down that offer was a good move on Manny's part. All I have heard to this point are pride/principle reasons and I totally understand those. But strictly from a financial perspective (since at the end of the day Boxing is still a business) given what path each has taken since then, I would like to hear Who really thinks Manny is in a better place career wise now then he would be if he accepted the 40 mil and the fight actually happened. Even in the worst case is getting dominated by floyd for 40 mil worse than a close decision win or getting knocked out by Maruez for a much smaller purse? And again if he won the sky would have been the limit.

Comment

He WAS going to leave Top Rank. The plan was to collaborate with Floyd and 50 cent and have partial ownership in the money team(50 cent and Floyd's promotional company) before it fell apart because Floyd ran out on them.
            Man I can't lie I was excited when I heard that as a possibility but if this Showtime deal is why Floyd didn't stick with it well I guess i can see why.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
              It was a BS offer because Floyd wanted 100% of the ppv buys. He tried to screw Pac.
              more like Rape!

Comment

It's easy for any of us to say "Oh Manny is an idiot for not taking $40 Million" when none of us more than likely will ever see $40 Million in our lifetime. But if you're someone like a Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao who generate the biggest PPV numbers of any current Boxer alive, how can one truly think for the biggest PPV fight in history that he'd fork over 100% of the PPV earnings? Like, realistically...who would expect Manny to accept that off GP? It was clearly a bull**** offer.

Comment

I guess what I want to hear are the Financial reasons why turning down that offer was a good move on Manny's part. All I have heard to this point are pride/principle reasons and I totally understand those. But strictly from a financial perspective (since at the end of the day Boxing is still a business) given what path each has taken since then, I would like to hear Who really thinks Manny is in a better place career wise now then he would be if he accepted the 40 mil and the fight actually happened. Even in the worst case is getting dominated by floyd for 40 mil worse than a close decision win or getting knocked out by Maruez for a much smaller purse? And again if he won the sky would have been the limit.
                  No one can. Manny pacquiao did not want the fight. Not saying floyd was eager to make it either. If you look at the time line turning down drug tests, signing 2 fights ahead, Arum publicly coming out after JMM 3 and saying mayweather is not an option, needing 6 months for a cut to heal...
                  No sane person can say manny is not equally responsible for the fight not happening.

Comment

If You think of this with any other product:

Say you are wanting to sell your house for 1,000,000. But some rich guy is only offering you 600,000 for it. And that is the absolute best deal that is out there. Even though you know its not fair if your other option is selling your same house to someone else for 300,000, do you then turn down the 600k and take the 300k because you know the rich guy was short changing you?

Comment

Getting none of the PPV cut(when all other floyd opponents do) for the most lucrative fight of the century(considering how accessible PPV is now compared to before) that wouldn't exist without Pacquiao is absolute BS

How can anybody think that's fair? When did Floyd become God, and why does Pacquiao have to bend over for him?

This was a duck.
                      So basically it makes more sense to fight 2-3 times to make that 40 million with an aging style rather than put your pride to the side, possibly win, then renegotiate?

Also none of Floyd's other opponents have made close to 40 million in a fight. With "ppv upside" you're talking about Cotto's purse going from 8 million to a little over 10 million. That's 4x more than any of Floyd's opponents have ever made.

If a network splashes a possible quarter billion on you just to get exclusivity then you must be doing something right. Like it or not I don't see HBO or Showtime offering Manny(Bob Arum) that much to fight exclusively on their network. You know they would scoop that deal up in a second if it was offered.

Yeah initially I thought that was a bogus offer, but hindsight looks 10x better.

Comment

Working...
                      X