Collapse
No announcement yet.

David Price: "I'm not going to change my style"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other than their chins, Wlad and Price are very different.

Wlad backs off, jabs and clinches against his opponents, relying on height but not using his massive weight advantage until his opponents are tired or they feel they've done enough to satisfy the crowd. He moves fairly well for a big man, so hes able to do this against the lumberers he picks.

Now Price rarely backs off, he goes in clubbing, supported with a pawing kind of jab,completely ineffective, pretty much the opposite of Wlad's jab. He does however hit harder than Wlad and is way more aggressive. Price's defence is basically his height and his arms, theres no movement underlined by him not running from his opponent.

I don't think David will benefit from adopting Wlad's running style because he looks too clubfooted, but he will definitely need to tighten his defene, needless to say. Not chasing an early KO will help him immensely.
    Last edited by DreamFighter; 02-26-2013, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Price doesn't exactly need to change his style completely, but with that chin he has to exercise control over his aggression and keep his defense much tighter.

Let's be honest, after the Klitschko's, Price is still among the best heavyweights despite being a relative novice in the pro-ranks, and he has a bright future ahead of him. However, that chin will be his greatest nemesis going forward. If he had a solid chin he would easily be the number 3 active HW, instead of the knock out or be knocked out fighter he is currently.

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
        It was very similar to this one. It actually seemed less powerful.

And Wlad actually took that quite well. Jones got hit in about that same spot against Glen Johnson and was laid out cold, but of course that was a faded Jones.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
            David Price, you listen to me you big stiff plumber from liverpool, you better change your style, and you better change it ASAP, otherwise, your gay lover Tony Bellew is going to be sweeping up your chin off the canvas
            LOL! Are you Tyson Fury in disguise?

Comment

I'm a David Price fan, have been since the 2008 olympics, i am also a fan of Tyson Fury aswell, One thing that annoys me with price is instead of snapping out a jab with his 82" reach arms he just waves them in the air tightly like hes swatting flies and then throws the occasional jab, also he stands too upright and flat footed, he needs to loosen his stance up a bit and move more, he should try putting plyometrics and more skipping into his training regime to get his footwork sharper and more fluid.

I think he should stay with frank maloney but ditch franny smith, Price is at the point in his career now that what he has being doing wont help him progress to world level, he needs to learn new techniques and skills.

He should do what Amir Khan and Lennox Lewis did, go overseas and learn new things...he has the talent he just needs taught right.

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
                Well, very occasionally he was trying to put the left jab there. Not very good. The thing is I hear a lot of how people compare Price to Wlad. Other than he is very tall and athletic, I don't see too many similarities.
                I wouldn't even call him all that athletic. He's big like Wlad, but that's it.

Wlad isn't a speedster, but he has good speed for his size, he also has good reactions and footwork to allow him to step out of range. Then you have the skills, the boxing brain and defensive responsibilty (which he learned the hard way).

Price doesn't have any of that, he's just big with a good right hand. That would still be enough in certain fights because if he lands a good one, it's over...but he's never going to be half the fighter Wlad is.

Comment

Originally posted by ROSS CALIFORNIA View Post
                  And Wlad actually took that quite well. Jones got hit in about that same spot against Glen Johnson and was laid out cold, but of course that was a faded Jones.
                  Some people just seem to have that 'spot' up around the temple area that scrambles them.

Unfortunetly for Price, anywhere on his head appears to be that 'spot'.

Comment

Working...
                  X