Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Jirov the most exciting Eastern European fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would agree Jirov is the most exciting.

Also - since you mentioned the fight itself - beating Jirov was proof positive that James Toney was an all time great fighter who belongs in the HOF.

The fact that a guy who won his first title at 160 went into the ring against a beast of a natural Cruiser, stood right in front of him all night, and beat him down is still one of the best performances I can recall since I started watching boxing.

That fight - along with the Nunn fight - were master class boxing performances by Toney who broke his stronger, faster opponents down with old fashioned skills.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      Don't let the avi fool you. Vits is ok as far as heavyweights today go. In general though they are boring because they seldom go to the body and clinch to much.
      I guess that must mean that Ali leads your all-time bore list then? Ali never punched to the body and clinched more than probably any HW champion in history.

It's seriously an odd way to rate exitement, but to each his own I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post
        I would agree Jirov is the most exciting.

Also - since you mentioned the fight itself - beating Jirov was proof positive that James Toney was an all time great fighter who belongs in the HOF.

The fact that a guy who won his first title at 160 went into the ring against a beast of a natural Cruiser, stood right in front of him all night, and beat him down is still one of the best performances I can recall since I started watching boxing.

That fight - along with the Nunn fight - were master class boxing performances by Toney who broke his stronger, faster opponents down with old fashioned skills.
        And PED's....

Comment

Adamek is also Eastern European and he used to be very exicting

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            I guess that must mean that Ali leads your all-time bore list then? Ali never punched to the body and clinched more than probably any HW champion in history.

It's seriously an odd way to rate exitement, but to each his own I guess.
            Old Ali? Absolutely. Young Ali? Those blazing combos were something to see!

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              Old Ali? Absolutely. Young Ali? Those blazing combos were something to see!
              Young Ali never punched to the body. After his exile he clinched excessively.

Jab standard: Zero bodypunching = Zero exitement.

Comment

And PED's....
                This and two of the judges having Toney winning 117-109 demonstrates that Jirov had no chance of winning it on the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Khmelnytsky View Post
                  This and two of the judges having Toney winning 117-109 demonstrates that Jirov had no chance of winning it on the cards.
                  He got his ass beat. He fought bravely but he didn't deserve it to be any closer than 4 point spread.

Couple of crybabies you Euro lovers are. Sheesh.

Comment

Young Ali never punched to the body. After his exile he clinched excessively.

Jab standard: Zero bodypunching = Zero exitement.
                    Body punching is an integral part of boxing excitement, it opens things up. But I think in young Ali's case it can be overlooked due to his incredible speed and combo's. That said, I still don't find him one of the most exciting fighters but he had many more great moments than today's boring monstrosities at heavyweight.

Comment

Tszyu, Vitali, Wlad.

Comment

Working...
                      X