No announcement yet.

Manny Pacquiao shouldn't have fired Shelly Finkel

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manny Pacquiao shouldn't have fired Shelly Finkel

Shelly Finkel was Manny's manager and he was helping Manny get rid of Murad Muhammad, I also believe it was Finkel who told Manny he didn't need to be tied down with a promoter and wanted Manny just to sign fights similar to how Hopkins and Roy Jones used to do it, this is why Pac got rid of Gary Shaw, and Shaw had a beef with Finkel because Finkel told Manny to be his own boss.

Arum pulled one of the biggest power moves in boxing, he crushed Oscar De La Hoya when Oscar signed Pac and it shocked Finkel that Pac signed a contract with golden boy before his fight with Morales.

From what I remember I could be wrong, Finkel and Manny's old lawyer some guy with the last name Khan almost feinted in the locker room when they found out that Manny told them he wanted to give the money back to Oscar and that he signed another contract with Bob Arum.

I remember they said something like one of Manny's lawyers almost had a heart attack or something while in the dressing room as Manny was getting ready for his fight with Morales.

After Arum and Golden Boy settled their dispute Arum was able to convince Manny to fire Shelly Finkel, and said Manny didn't need a manager and that extra money could go to Manny, so Manny listened to Arum and fired him.

I think Manny would have been better off with Shelly Finkel and not signing any long term promotional contracts. More fights could have been made, Pac was already becoming a big name back than as well, he probably would have fought tougher opponents and stayed in one division longer to clean it out or unify though.

Article excerpt from 2006
    WHAT SHELLY FINKEL HAS DONE FOR MANNY PACQUIAO!

December 6th, 2006 By RingTalk

I asked yesterday, what does Manny Pacquiao need manager Shelly Finkel for? Hes already a made fighter, the hottest fighter in the world. Today, I answer the question as to why Manny Pacquiao needs Shelly Finkel. 1. It was Finkel that got Manny out of that onerous (see pimp) contract that Murad Muhammad held over Manny. 2. Settled the bitter suit with Pacquiaos Filipino manager. 3. Negotiated a return match with Erik Morales in which he earned double what he had earned for the first fight which he lost. 4. Shelly got Manny an accountant that took care of his back-tax problems with the IRS.

I think Finkel did well by him. But Arum always wants to be the only voice whispering in his fighter's ear.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      I think Finkel did well by him. But Arum always wants to be the only voice whispering in his fighter's ear.
      Arum is very much a control freak, he even knew Pacman was dumb, he said when Pac signed the golden boy contract he said what do you expect from a guy with a 3rd grade education or something like that, at first he was pissed off at Pacman and talking crap, but when Oscar De La Hoya said that he beat the bigest Jew to come out of Harvard he made it personal, Oscar is stupid he should have kept his mouth shut but he was going all over the radio stations bragging about signing Pacquiao in 2006.

Finkel was smart, but Arum told Manny that Finkel was getting 12 percent instead of 10 percent which is the standard manager fee, but the reason Finkel was getting 12 percent was because he was going beyond manager duties and was helping Pac basically be his own man and do his on promotions signing single fight contracts.

Also Arum is the guy who rejected Pacquiao first when Pac's former American lawyer was trying to shop him around, Arum said some racist stuff and said racial slur for asians don't sell, and basically slammed the door on them.

Comment

Pac is dumb, but **** it, he's living a life better than 99% of filipino's so he is gifted.

Comment

Shelly did good by Pacquiao but there wasn't anything left to do. Once Pacquiao signed with Arum, that was it.

The DLH and Hatton fights were against GB fighter. Cotto was the last great Pacquiao event. After that it was Arum per usual; Clottey coming off a loss, Marg coming off a loss and a tuneup, Mosley coming off a loss, Marquez and Bradley.

He ruined the "Pacquiao's here to save boxing!" momentum Manny had been building on since defeating De La Hoya. Shelly couldn't have stopped it.

Comment

Yeah, once Arum got Pac in his clutches it was all over. Nothing Finkel could have done at that point and he wasn't needed anymore.

Comment

Working...
            X