Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Floyd hadn't ducked Paul Williams, what would have been the result?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by inITtoWINit
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thuggery

For those leaning towards Floyd UD, are you implying a complete shutout for Floyd, a comfortable UD (8-4), or a very close-almost disputable decision?

Does it matter? They pick Floyd regardless of who the opponent is.
    u sound like a mad b!tch

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
      But those flaws were exposed by guys that got "dirty" with him. You're just assuming Paul comes in and Floyd tags him, end of story. It goes both ways. Which is why I said, you can't be afraid to exchange with him. Of course he made mistakes. So did Ali, Lewis, SRL. That doesn't automatically disqualify him from being able to beat the "great" Floyd Mayweather. He made up for his mistakes with his iron chin, and crazy work rate.
      Iron chin and crazy workrates don't win fights. Ring Generalship, Effective Agression, Clean Effective Punching and Defense does. Paul had a crazy workrate but was far from accurate. He doesn't land at a very high rate. He had solid power but a lot of the punches that he did end up landing weren't effective either. He had an iron chin but the reason we know that is because he continuously got pummeled with flush counters. Yes a lot of all time great fighters made mistakes. The difference is Paul Williams makes more costly mistakes and can be extremely sloppy at times. And compare the strengths of P-Will versus those ATGs you listed. His strengths are his size, workrate, stamina, chin, etc.

Like I said before, the room for error for Floyd is much smaller than for Paul.
      Disagree. Paul Williams would have to fight a near perfect fight to win this one. He would have to work behind his jab and use his reach advantage which just wasn't in his nature. Which brings me back to my original point. Does he possess the tools to give Floyd problems? Absolutely. Is it in his nature to use them? No.

Floyd is a righty. It's always been lefties that have caught him, and gotten his respect (even though, he still pressured you no matter what).
      That's a myth. He's destroyed every lefty he's ever faced. And Mosley caught him good and he's a righty. It's a fist fight. Guys get caught. Pernell Whitaker suffered numerous flash knockdowns during his career and he's the greatest defensive fighter of all time. And on top of that, stances don't win fights. Skills do.

Paul reaching in, would still give him a good amount of distance between him and Floyd's punches.
      Paul reaching in would leave him over extended and Mayweather would have a field day countering him.

At then end of the day, Floyd would be the uncomfortable one in the ring. It would look like Floyd/Hatton, except not a bum in there with him.
      It may take Floyd a few rounds to adjust but I see Paul Williams being the uncomforable one. He's facing a slick opponent, that's going to give him foot, upper body and head movement, that's going to dance in and out of range, that's going to roll and slip punches, that's going to destroy his rhythm with jabs, body punches and that's going to grab him when he tries to put together one of his wild flurries. This isn't going to be Margarito sitting in front off him and going toe to toe.

Edit: Of course Floyd could capitalize off of P-Will's mistakes, but P-Will can do serious damage in the process. I just see it like, for every mistake Paul makes, that Floyd capitalizes on, Paul would have already done twice as much damage, and done considerably more round by round by round.
      Your opinion is your opinion. No problem with thinking Williams wins. I would favor Floyd in a 116-112, 115-113 type of contest. I just don't see Williams landing enough clean effective punches and getting constantly tagged with counters.
      Last edited by -PBP-; 02-13-2013, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by .Boxeo. View Post
        Corrales chin was never that sturdy IMO

Paul had a Iron chin.

His work rate would be too much for Mayweather to handle and Paul chin will keep Mayweather from having any success of rallying up any momentum.

Easy Paul Williams UD
        Corrales had never been down his entire career prior to the Mayweather fight.

Comment

Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
          You're someone's alt, so I'm not going back and fourth with you for 5 more pages. You've already let it be known that Floyd can't lose to anyone in the history of boxing.

Thanks for spitting knowledge kid.
          OK you got me. PWill is the GOAT. Sorry im not like you. I dont support average fighters. I support guys like Floyd, Bonner, Gary Russell Jr, Zab, Nonito, JMM, Mosley, Ward. The type of guys with star power that are talented. I dont support talentless bums like Margarito and PWill that cant do anything in the ring but take punishment.

Comment

Originally posted by BafanaBafana View Post
            I think against a considerably shorter opponent like Floyd, Paul would have probably used his height advantage; although I wouldn't be surprised if he rushed Floyd with constant pressure either, he was pretty good at cutting off the ring because of his height and long reach.
            I can't really imagine how Floyd would have reacted to Paul's ridiculous stamina and ability to throw over 100 punches each and every single round.

Watch the first 4 rounds against Margarito and how Paul was able to fight him efficiently from the outside.

Williams is WIDE open to land on. You act like Williams throws 100 punches every single round in all of his fights. He HAS thrown that many against fighters who were easy targets, floyd is not an easy target and everyone throws less than their usual against floyd, williams will be no exception. Floyd will counter him to a UD. He is wide open with poor defense with much slower hand and foot speed than floyd.

Margarito lost because he is slow as hell and thus williams was very effective. Floyd and margo are complete opposites so all of the reasons that williams was effective with margarito dont mean that he will be effective against floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
              Iron chin and crazy workrates don't win fights. Ring Generalship, Effective Agression, Clean Effective Punching and Defense does. Paul had a crazy workrate but was far from accurate. He doesn't land at a very high rate. He had solid power but a lot of the punches that he did end up landing weren't effective either. He had an iron chin but the reason we know that is because he continuously got pummeled with flush counters. Yes a lot of all time great fighters made mistakes. The difference is Paul Williams makes more costly mistakes and can be extremely sloppy at times.

Disagree. Paul Williams would have to fight a near perfect fight to win this one. He would have to work behind his jab and use his reach advantage which just wasn't in his nature. Which brings me back to my original point. Does he possess the tools to give Floyd problems? Absolutely. Is it in his nature to use them? No.

That's a myth. He's destroyed every lefty he's ever faced. And Mosley caught him good and he's a righty. It's a fist fight. Guys get caught. Pernell Whitaker suffered numerous flash knockdowns during his career and he's the greatest defensive fighter of all time. And on top of that, stances don't win fights. Skills do.

Paul reaching in would leave him over extended and Mayweather would have a field day countering him.

It may take Floyd a few rounds to adjust but I see Paul Williams being the uncomforable one. He's facing a slick opponent, that's going to give him foot, upper body and head movement, that's going to dance in and out of range, that's going to roll and slip punches, that's going to destroy his rhythm with jabs, body punches and that's going to grab him when he tries to put together one of his wild flurries. This isn't going to be Margarito sitting in front off him and going toe to toe.

Your opinion is your opinion. No problem with thinking Williams wins. I would favor Floyd in a 116-112, 115-113 type of contest. I just don't see Williams landing enough clean effective punches and getting constantly tagged with counters.
              I think you're over estimating Floyd's skills, and under estimating Paul's skills. I just don't see how you can possibly think Floyd has more room for error in this fight. I just don't see that at all. Either way, I'm so done with this topic. I respect that you think Floyd would win, I just completely disagree.

Don't feel like going back and fourth anymore. It's midnight over here, and I'm getting tired. Good discussion. You definitely know your boxing. Respect.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
                Corrales had never been down his entire career prior to the Mayweather fight.
                Corrales had a glass chin, he got stopped in three of his five losses and was knocked down about 20 times in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by WARQUEZ View Post
                  Floyd didn't duck Paul, and Paul would of gotten a similar treatment like Corrales.

Corrales was severily weight drained. So much so that Floyd knocked him down like 5 times ....

Paul William's reach/height makes it hard for anyone to hide.

Comment

I picked Mayweather when this question popped up a few years back and my pick really hasn't changed. Williams just had too many technical flaws, the way he gives up his height when he was moving forward would've allowed Mayweather to tag him all the time with counters. Mayweather would then be able to get low and make himself smaller, which would've made it hard for Williams to connect on a consistent basis. Also, I'm pretty sure Mayweather would've been able to make Williams reset constantly by stepping around him, which would negate the workrate, similar to what Quintana was able to do.

I mean Williams would have won some rounds, especially early in the fight but I just don't see him winning.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
                      Iron chin and crazy workrates don't win fights. Ring Generalship, Effective Agression, Clean Effective Punching and Defense does. Paul had a crazy workrate but was far from accurate. He doesn't land at a very high rate. He had solid power but a lot of the punches that he did end up landing weren't effective either. He had an iron chin but the reason we know that is because he continuously got pummeled with flush counters. Yes a lot of all time great fighters made mistakes. The difference is Paul Williams makes more costly mistakes and can be extremely sloppy at times. And compare the strengths of P-Will versus those ATGs you listed. His strengths are his size, workrate, stamina, chin, etc.

Floyd hopes that all his feinting, shoulder rolls, counters and pot shots would eventually slow down the opponent and then Floyd would start winning the rounds. Williams never gave anyone respect except for Cintron in the first 2 rounds (it was the game plan) but then got fed up and started doing his thing. Again, if Williams didn't give Martinez respect then forget about Floyd.

Look, if Sergio Martinez can get hit so easily by Williams I can't see Floyd being that much harder. The difference is that Martinez can punch!

The difference between Floyd's opponents and Williams is that those other fighters were nowhere close to Williams workrate, height, reach ..... Example, Judah who initially had average workrate stopped punching in the 2nd half. Judah has also faded in other fights. Williams work rate didn't stop for 12 rounds.

Comment

Working...
                      X