No announcement yet.

How About my Top 25 ATG List?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Thought I did a top 25 a while back but can't find it. Here's a quick 20. the only ones Im dfead set in their spot about are the first 6.

1. Langford
    2. Greb
    3. Robinson
    4. Armstrong
    5. Charles
    6. Fitzsimmons
    7. B. Leonard
    8. Pep
    9. Duran
    10. Gans
    11. Walker
    12. Moore
    13. Ali
    14. R. Leonard
    15. Ross
    16. Canzoneri
    17. McLarnin
    18. Conn
    19. Louis
    20. Tunney
    Very nice.

Hate Tunney anywhere near a top 25 or so though. The man wouldn't even have a black sparring partner let alone face a decent one.

Comment

Originally posted by teddycanyon View Post
      Pretty consistent with Bert Sugar's list. Joe Louis should be a LOT higher though IMO. I also think you got Ezzard Charles and Ben Leonard a bit too high, those guys aren't top 10 from what I've seen + read. I'd stick Hagler, Willie Pep and Louis in the top 10, put Moore above Duran, and Ali #3 after Armstrong.
      What have you seen and read of Ezzard Charles?

Skillwise, he's one of the greatest of all time.

Resume wise, he's one of the greatest of all time.

There's a legitimate case for him being the greatest fighter that ever lived.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        What have you seen and read of Ezzard Charles?

Skillwise, he's one of the greatest of all time.

Resume wise, he's one of the greatest of all time.

There's a legitimate case for him being the greatest fighter that ever lived.
        Yup. Color me baffled.

Comment

Originally posted by UrDazed View Post
          haha i have been reading the forum for a LONG time and the name I wanted was taken and I had just read an imdazed post so I thought what the hell why not

and i had to best mexico's finest at least in the top 20 though. i dont know, it just seemed right. and the whole 90+ without a loss is still impressive for me. he beat a solid amount of guys

your thoughts on fitzimmons? Im a bit underwhelmed on him
          Resume wise, I think he's incredible. Top 10 ATG IMO.

But on film, like yourself I'm underwhelmed, very underwhelmed. But, obviously despite looking not too great on film he had the tools to get the job done.

I think the same will happen if film of Harry Greb is released. Resume wise he's arguably the greatest that ever lived.

I think we're all expecting so much and if something comes out, we'll be left underwhelmed.

Likely never to find out though.

Comment

1. Ray Robinson
            2. Hank Armstrong
            3. Harry Greb
            4. Sam Langford
            5. Ezzard Charles
            6. Muhammad Ali
            7. Ben Leonard
            8. Roberto Duran
            9. Archie Moore
            10. Ray Leonard
            ______
            11. Willie Pep
            12. Mickey Walker
            13. Bob Fitzimmons
            14. Joe Gans
            15. Barney Ross
            16. Pernell Whitaker
            17. Joe Louis
            18. Jimmy McClarnin
            19. Roy Jones
            20. Jimmy Wilde
            24. Eder Jofre
            25. Marvin Hagler
            Can you please tell me what fights you saw from each and every one of the older greats to make you come up with the list? I'd like that thank you. There can never be an accurate list. If you didn't see them fight, just reading about them doesn't cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by STILL_DETOX View Post
              harry ****ing greb? seriously?

where do u get the balls?

duran above leonard?
              Obviously.

And that is the consensus amongst pretty much 100% of historians.

Comment

Resume wise, I think he's incredible. Top 10 ATG IMO.

But on film, like yourself I'm underwhelmed, very underwhelmed. But, obviously despite looking not too great on film he had the tools to get the job done.

I think the same will happen if film of Harry Greb is released. Resume wise he's arguably the greatest that ever lived.

I think we're all expecting so much and if something comes out, we'll be left underwhelmed.

Likely never to find out though.
                But look at Greb's opponents. They look great on film IMO and look at Fitz's best scalps, and the clubbing cavemen he lost to.

I actually think Walker would take a lot of Fitz' competition, even some he lost to.

Comment

Obviously.

And that is the consensus amongst pretty much 100% of historians.
                  that guy red k'd me for that ranking, for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                    Can you please tell me what fights you saw from each and every one of the older greats to make you come up with the list? I'd like that thank you. There can never be an accurate list. If you didn't see them fight, just reading about them doesn't cut it.
                    Everyone besides Greb. Watch some Charles, and prepare to be amazed.

Comment

But look at Greb's opponents. They look great on film IMO and look at Fitz's best scalps, and the clubbing cavemen he lost to.

I actually think Walker would take a lot of Fitz' competition, even some he lost to.
                      Of course, that's why refuting Greb's greatness is a difficult task. We can see how good Gene Tunney was. We can see how good a lot of the fighter's he beat were.

His resume is one of the best and that's not even debatable.

As for Fitzsimmons, that's a good point. He did lose to a lot of underwhelming fighters but he also beat great ones. He's not as great as Greb by any means but he's Top 10 calibur, for me.

I'd say Walker could easily by ranked above him, like you mention.

Have you posted here before? I think I know who you are

Comment

Working...
                      X