Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should Wlad vs Pianeta be a non title fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Why? You'd have the recognition of beating the best, you'd be the lineal champion and you wouldn't have to pay the ridiculous sanctioning fees. Remember, fighters make belts, belts don't make fighters.
    Are you saying one should prefer not to claim all his titles in the case of victory? ****** thread, really.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
      I recall reading more than once that the heavyweight champion can only fight title fights or exhibitions, but not a non-title fight. I believe that the reason was that whilst other champions could fight non-title fights by having one contestant weigh in over the limit, this didn't apply with heavyweights. I don't know if this is still valid.

Another little sidenote; In the days of "non-title" fights, the only way any champion could lose his title was by KO. I know that Benny Leonard won his title that way, KO ing freddie Welsh.
      Very good post. I never knew that.

You're so full of crap, it was worded fine you just took personal exception to it. There was no bias at all. "Should Wlad vs Pianeta be a non title fight?" First option-yes: Pianeta is unworthy of fighting for the championship....at the moment. Second option-no: Pianeta is not worthy. There is nothing wrong with that and it could only be confusing to the simple minded. We already know you're a Klitschko fanboy, but I didn't know you were simple minded.. my apologies.

I guess my thread in the dome about alts must have offended you to since its now deleted.
      Nothing wrong with that wording whatsoever. Everyone with at least 2 brain cells can understand it.

On topic, this should not be a title fight whatsoever. At best, the Klit fans should at least admit it's a mockery for the Division. To put it into context, the Klit fanboys denigrate Haye for wanting the Klits, yet they support and justify this disgrace of a match up.

Hypocrisy at its very finest.
      Last edited by Jedi Vader; 02-08-2013, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Really? How so? This isn't a thread about other fighters, its a thread about Wlad and Pianeta. Feel free to link us to any post where I've ever condoned this kind of mismatch though at any time in history. Its kind of funny though because in Freedoms thread you question the validity of this fight. Here you're accusing me of trolling for doing the same thing.
        Well the purpose of this thread, according to you, is that lame worldtitle matchups IN GENERAL should be nontitle fights, and yet you single out Wlad despite him not doing anything fighters of yesteryear didn't do and that's where the trolling comes in. I don't mind some trolling, but don't pretend it to be anything else.

I don't like this fight any more than you do (if it happens) and I don't understand why WBA gave Wlad an exemption, but this is nothing unique and at least he is fighting. I like that much better than a certain p4p'er who shall remain nameless, who only makes the annual cameo.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
          It was worded so badly that it was confusing posters. I edited so that the question is black and white; either you think it should be a "title fight" or a "nontitle fight." Zero bias
          You're so full of crap, it was worded fine you just took personal exception to it. There was no bias at all. "Should Wlad vs Pianeta be a non title fight?" First option-yes: Pianeta is unworthy of fighting for the championship....at the moment. Second option-no: Pianeta is not worthy. There is nothing wrong with that and it could only be confusing to the simple minded. We already know you're a Klitschko fanboy, but I didn't know you were simple minded.. my apologies.

I guess my thread in the dome about alts must have offended you to since its now deleted.
          Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
          If those were the choices in the bold then it was worded badly and doesn't make much sense. Voting no in the original poll is a double negative, which is generally avoided in proper writing. The "no, Pianeta is not worthy" is unnecessary. Shouldn't it be "no, he is worthy of fighting for a title?"
          Thanks for the vindication; it's nice to see that I wasn't the only one who thought the question was worded badly/incorrectly.

Moreover, not sure why the TS is attacking me in his post. I merely changed the question so there is no ambiguity.

As to the topic, I posted some of Larry Holmes' opponents who appeared to be just as undeserving as Pianeta. My point is, hw champions of yester-year picked guys like Pianeta as voluntary defenses so why criticize Wladimir.

If you look at all his title defenses, more often than not, his opponent was deserving of a title shot and/ or a mandatory. Him fighting guys like Pianeta or Mormeck is more a necessity to stay busy and is not the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            Well the purpose of this thread, according to you, is that lame worldtitle matchups IN GENERAL should be nontitle fights, and yet you single out Wlad despite him not doing anything fighters of yesteryear didn't do and that's where the trolling comes in. I don't mind some trolling, but don't pretend it to be anything else.

I don't like this fight any more than you do (if it happens) and I don't understand why WBA gave Wlad an exemption, but this is nothing unique and at least he is fighting. I like that much better than a certain p4p'er who shall remain nameless, who only makes the annual cameo.
            If Wlad had ATG names on his plate then maybe, just maybe he could barely sc**** rare occasional matchups like this without any outcry. The fact is that his resume is diabolical and yet he's still making dreadful matchups like Pianeta and the other two saps before him.

Someone earlier in the thread used Ali as an equal example. Ali blasted some of the biggest names in heavyweight history to smithereens. By doing that, he can justify the very occasional abject matchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
              If Wlad had ATG names on his plate then maybe, just maybe he could barely sc**** rare occasional matchups like this without any outcry. The fact is that his resume is diabolical and yet he's still making dreadful matchups like Pianeta and the other two saps before him.

Someone earlier in the thread used Ali as an equal example. Ali blasted some of the biggest names in heavyweight history to smithereens. By doing that, he can justify the very occasional abject matchup.
              That's bullocks. Wlad's resume as a champion could hardly be better given the state of the division.

And Ali took plenty of heat for fighting mediocre opposition after the third Frazier fight. Sameoldsameold.
              Last edited by BattlingNelson; 02-08-2013, 12:38 PM.

Comment

That's bullocks. Wlad's resume as a champion could hardly be better given the state of the division.

And Ali took plenty of heat for fighting mediocre opposition after the third Frazier fight. Sameoldsameold.
                Precisely. Just one of those Frazier fights would completely alter the outlook of Klits' resume. Instead, we get Pianeta.

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
                  One thing I don't understand. You all are whining how HW division is bad, awful and so on but most of you comment mostly on HW fights..

Surely you can find the satisfactory 'quality' and 'excitement' in the other divisions or if you can't live without HW then there are enough old HW tapes you can rewatch.
                  I don't think the HW division is that bad at all, but the top 10 fighters do not want to fight one another.

Wlad avoided his mandatory to fight this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
                    Precisely. Just one of those Frazier fights would completely alter the outlook of Klits' resume. Instead, we get Pianeta.
                    Jab will come in here in a moment telling you that a champion should fight the best always regardless of anything.

Just watch.

Comment

I posted it because this is the here and the now. If you want to discuss other fighters than feel free. But this isn't the first time you've accused me of trolling the Klits because you don't like what I have to say. I remember a thread where I asked if it was possible the klits were juiced, a topic being talked about at the time, and you made these same accusations that I only do it to the klits. I than supplied a link proving otherwise. This isn't a crusade to put the klits down, but I will post facts and my opinion to see they are not continually overrated by nuthuggers.

Comment

Working...
                      X