No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Marquez: I See No Point in Fighting Manny Pacquiao Again

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jerub_Baal View Post
    jmm should give pac another fight because that's what pac did for him.....

not to mention that the 4th fight was the most exciting out of the series.....

and jmm should clear his name, fight pac again under ost - show the fans that his new found power was due to proper training......
    I understand your reasoning in saying that JMM should give Pacquaio an opportunity to revenge his knockout loss. However, you shouldn't be naive in thinking that Marquez got four shots at Pacquaio is because Pac was being nice.

The reason he got four shots (especially the third and fourth shots) is because Bob Arum was trying to avoid putting Pac in the ring with Floyd Mayweather and the only way he could justifiably avoid a Pac-Mayweather fight (even to the Pac worshippers) was to put him in the ring again and again with the only guy that anyone could argue beat Pacquaio. Notice after third fight that Arum immediately said he wanted to stage a fourth fight, even though all the fans were expecting Pac to challenge Mayweather because that is what Arum had promised time and time again. When they couldn't negotiate a fourth fight immediately, Arum scheduled the fight against Bradley to avoid Mayweather. Then Arum made Marquez an offer he couldn't refuse to again avoid a Pac-Mayweather fight. Before the fourth fight, when he thought that Pac would win, he already had scheduled Pac's next fight against Brandon Rios. Now, Arum has no choice but to try to schedule a fifth fight against Marquez because that is the only fight in which he can make any money off of Pacquaio because most people will not pay to see Pac fight anyone else.

Comment

• Originally posted by loui_ludwig View Post
      Floyd fans riding on the glory of JMM's fan base. Pathetic.
      So true. .........

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerub_Baal View Post
        jmm should give pac another fight because that's what pac did for him.....

not to mention that the 4th fight was the most exciting out of the series.....

and jmm should clear his name, fight pac again under ost - show the fans that his new found power was due to proper training......
        Please don't go there because the same could be said about Manny. Watch the fight again. Marquez used timing and was setting Pacquiao up for the right. Doesn't take supplements to put a fighter out because at the end of the day. Marquez was wobbling or stunning Pacquiao with the same right hand for years. This time he just sat on it a lil more and caught Manny coming in. Case closed.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
          So you think a guy underpaid his entire career should refuse to cash in on his winning ticket? You don't buy into the "prize" fight of prizefighting?
          Fights are thematic, they are a part of our Machismo nature, and part of that is the resolution. Gatti and Ward, what a trilogy! but a quintilogy? After a while it is two guys hitting each other.... Pacquio and Marquez fought and fought with no real resolution until that last fight. Now its time to shake hands and move on. I have no real problem if they fight again...

But the way Marquez looked like a knuckle dragger and Pacquio's head seems to get bigger and bigger physically. I can only avoid the elephant in the room so long....

What am I watching HeroB? the resolution of skill between these two fighters? or who can make modern biochem work best?

Comment

• Originally posted by DominiBox View Post
            1 - Are you saying Marquez was in better condition when he fought Mayweather than when he fought Pacquiao? Wow..

2 - When a Floyd's fan says "That's open for debate"...well, that's all i need to know.

3 - Is Pacquiao supposed to make his business and personal decisions based on what Mayweather want or don't want. I think you're leaving Floyd's ego play with your mind. Everyone knows there was nothing wrong. TR wasn't asking for a bigger piece. I agree Arum is a scumbag, but it was a fair offer.
            Do you not find it kinda ironic that JMM has three welterweight fights. And the only one he looked like **** in was against Floyd? I mean really, to not acknowledge that Floyd had a heckuva lot more to do with JMM's performance than the assortment of excuses that have been thrown out there and be done with it. I mean, I have no issues saying Pac did a better job against Cotto without throwing out the catchweight nonsense. Why can't you do the same with Floyd-JMM?

Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless know absolutely nothing about boxing. I don't care what side of the debate they're on. I can't take anything either has to say about the sport seriously.

Lastly, Manny Pacquaio is a mega-star. He is well beyond the need of a multi-fight contract with any promoter, period.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
              I understand Tarver and Ottke are the best of their time. Proven superior to the likes of Johnson, and RJJ of course.
              Comparing Floyd to the likes of Sven Ottke and Antonio Tarver is ****** based purely on his wins over the best of his time, which his critics continually downplay.

Comment

• Originally posted by DominiBox View Post
                hahaha.... Stephen A. is a pure Floyd fan.Maybe if he had said what you'd like to hear, you'll be calling him a boxing genius and a credible source. I know how this works.
                Again, I don't give a **** what Stephen A Smith has to say about boxing, period.

Comment

• Originally posted by akScoundrel View Post
                  The second fight wasnt controversial, pacquiao won. I scored the first fight a draw, but that aside if that one judge had correctly scored the round pac would have won it too. What was the reason for pac to give Marquez the third fight?

The same reason(s) that pac gave marquez a third, and eventually fourth, fight should be the same reasons why marquez will give pac his due. If marquez is not simply angling for.more negotiation power....money.....then hes running. Just calling a spade a spade.

Itd be another great fight and one of, if not thee biggest, paycheck Marquez could make. Why not make the fight?
                  The reason Manny gave Marquez the 3rd fight was because they thought moving him up to WW would produce a shut out for Manny like Mayweather did to JMM at WW. Even Manny Pacquiao himself said that they underestimated JMM. Wasn't a show of appreciation but rather a fighter picked wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by hitking View Post
                    Would you pick JMM to beat Floyd now?

BTW, I wasn't using a triangle theory. My point is that Floyd-Pac was thought to be needed because it was a match-up of the best two fighters of the era. IMO, if it stands now, Floyd and Pac aren't #1 and #2 of the era. I feel with JMM holding the only convincing victory of ribalry with Pac, he moves into the #2 spot. And no matter how many excuses are made, Floyd beat the living hell outta him. Thus beating the #2 fighter of his time. Therefore while Floyd-Pac would have been nice. Its wasn't as "needed" as originally thought.
                    Tarver beat Roy Jones way more convincingly in their second fight. Right? So is Tarver the best fighter of his generation? Is he better than RJJ?

It just doesn't work that way!

Comment

• Originally posted by hitking View Post
                      Do you not find it kinda ironic that JMM has three welterweight fights. And the only one he looked like **** in was against Floyd? I mean really, to not acknowledge that Floyd had a heckuva lot more to do with JMM's performance than the assortment of excuses that have been thrown out there and be done with it. I mean, I have no issues saying Pac did a better job against Cotto without throwing out the catchweight nonsense. Why can't you do the same with Floyd-JMM?

Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless know absolutely nothing about boxing. I don't care what side of the debate they're on. I can't take anything either has to say about the sport seriously.

Lastly, Manny Pacquaio is a mega-star. He is well beyond the need of a multi-fight contract with any promoter, period.

Interesting you should mention this point about Floyd and JMM.....Nobody seems to notice something else about this situation, namely that JMM, one of the gutsiest, Balsiest badass boxing accountants that ever graced the square circle.... A man who got up off the canvas time and time again against Manny P, a candidate for the best Mexican technical fighter......etc etc etc....

NEVER seemed to want a rematch with Floyd. Go figure. I mean personality profiles would suggest that this guy would be out to avenge his defeat. JMM perhaps realized how good Floyd really is.

Comment

Working...
                      X