No announcement yet.

Juan Manuel Marquez Wins 2012 Fighter the Year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    And that's been the case for like what? Months?

A lot different to The Ring in the 90's.

The Ring has definitely gone down hill, no question. But I think people are becoming overly critical.

If you look at their Top 10 P4P, the majority of them aren't with GBP.
    I agree. Pound for pound lists are mythical anyways. It's just for entertainment purposes. If you ask me they are usually on point with the #1 guy. Same with their fighter of the year award. They usually get it right and I think they did that again for 2012.

Comment

Yes Marquez deserves that title.

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
        arent we talking about this moment tho ?
        With Marquez, yes.

And I can see where you're coming from in regards to that.

Comment

Biased as FK it's supposed to be fighter of the year not of the round.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
            They're both very deserving. There's really no right or wrong answer here, IMO.
            I beg to differ. Donaire fought four times this year, yet the competition was clearly mismatched and many of us knew that when his fights were signed [yes, and that includes "the beast" from the far east]. Marquez clearly had a better year with just the two fights he had. You could even make a case for Robert Guerrero, making the jump from '35 to '47 taking on some of the bigger names (Berto) and stiff comp (Aydin).

I'm not even big on Mares and his last three fights blow Donaire's last five out of the water. For the record, Donaire would beat Mares easily in my opinion yet he opts for fighters lesser than Mares.
            Last edited by deejd; 01-31-2013, 10:17 PM.

Comment

The only reason Donaire won fighter of the year on many websites is because he is the first to do year round drug testing and the media is slurping him for it.

Comment

Originally posted by deejd View Post
                I beg to differ. Donaire fought four times this year, yet the competition was clearly mismatched and many of us knew that when his fights were signed [yes, and that includes "the beast" from the far east]. Marquez clearly had a better year with just the two fights he had. You could even make a case for Robert Guerrero, making the jump from '35 to '47 taking on some of the bigger names (Berto) and stiff comp (Aydin).

I'm not even big on Mares and his last three fights blow Donaire's last five out of the water. For the record, Donaire would beat Mares easily in my opinion yet he opts for fighters lesser than Mares.
                they were all legit fights ..i guess you could say arce aint but even that was a better win than the fedchenco win for jmm..

so i dont know why one good win is more than 3 good wins...

i could understand quality over quality but if you have 3 good wins in ayear , thats defintely better than just one great win...jmm desrves fighter of the month , not year...

Comment

I don't know.

Donaire did beat Nishioka, and than got another solid win over Mathebula. I don't really consider Arce and Vazquez Jr THAT good of wins. They seemed like more keep buys against not terrible opponents kind of fights.

You'd have to consider Marquez beating Pacquiao an amazing win for him to get FOTY, which I think it was. I thought Donaire would get it though.

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
                    they were all legit fights ..i guess you could say arce aint but even that was a better win than the fedchenco win for jmm..

so i dont know why one good win is more than 3 good wins...

i could understand quality over quality but if you have 3 good wins in ayear , thats defintely better than just one great win...jmm desrves fighter of the month , not year...
                    Than why did Evander Holyfield get FOTY for 1997 when all he did was get his ear bit off and beat Moorer. Using your logic shouldn't have DLH won it in 1997?

Comment

Originally posted by HaglerSteelChin View Post
                      Than why did Evander Holyfield get FOTY for 1997 when all he did was get his ear bit off and beat Moorer. Using your logic shouldn't have DLH won it in 1997?
                      it's not the same damn thing ...hollyfied got 2 good wins that year compared to hoya's not so good performace againts sweetpea and a win over a past it camacho ..

Comment

Working...
                      X