No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Abner Mares Vacating The WBC Title, Heading Up To 126

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
    Im sure you know what i meant when i said he hasnt fought anybody at 122.

And who is this stiffer competition that he will be facing? Ponce and Gonzalez are the only ones there. Donaire and Rigo are stiffer challenges
    So what? Golden Boy made an offer to fight Donaire and Top Rank rejected it without making a counter offer. It's pretty clear that Top Rank is not going to let Donaire fight Mares. TR wants to make Donaire - Rigo next, so it doesn't matter if they're tougher challenges since they won't fight Abner.

Comment

And what the hell is going on right now? A few months ago people were ranking Moreno as a top 10 P4P fighter, many here saying that he was a defensive wizard and stating that he was perhaps the best boxer in the lower weight classes.

Now people in this thread are saying that Moreno was overrated, that Mares only won because Chemito was feather fisted and also just because Mares was bigger. C'mon...

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtli. View Post
        and both of those fights aren't and mostly likely won't be available. Hes been pushing for that fight for the longest.

You act as if his win against Moreno at 122 wasn't any good. Hes been fighting tough opposition for awhile now
        It was very good. Mares never fought anyone at 122 and the best fighters at 126 are TR or Chris John

Just shows the BS GBP and WBC has going when you become a champ at 122 while never fighting a 122 fighter

Comment

Originally posted by vacon04 View Post
          And what the hell is going on right now? A few months ago people were ranking Moreno as a top 10 P4P fighter, many here saying that he was a defensive wizard and stating that he was perhaps the best boxer in the lower weight classes.

Now people in this thread are saying that Moreno was overrated, that Mares only won because Chemito was feather fisted and also just because Mares was bigger. C'mon...
          That's Boxingscene posters for you, they are only as good as their last post.

Comment

It was very good. Mares never fought anyone at 122 and the best fighters at 126 are TR or Chris John

Just shows the BS GBP and WBC has going when you become a champ at 122 while never fighting a 122 fighter
            Yes it was very good, many people thought it was an even fight and others thought he had no chance against Moreno. Don't know why you keep bringing up that he hasn't fought anyone at 122 when the Moreno win at 122 was still a very good win.

also, that belt was never originally on the line when Mares was going to fight Morel. He would have gladly fought Nishioka for it but he was already in talks with TR for the Donaire fight. He also fought Morel at a catch weight because Morel insisted on it otherwise he wasn't going to go on with the fight.

don't even know why you bring that bull**** up about "the benefits of being mexican" as if Mares has been ducking fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtli. View Post
              Yes it was very good, many people thought it was an even fight and others thought he had no chance against Moreno. Don't know why you keep bringing up that he hasn't fought anyone at 122 when the Moreno win at 122 was still a very good win.
              I dont know why you're bringing this up, i never said anything about the Moreno win

also, that belt was never originally on the line when Mares was going to fight Morel. He would have gladly fought Nishioka for it but he was already in talks with TR for the Donaire fight. He also fought Morel at a catch weight because Morel insisted on it otherwise he wasn't going to go on with the fight.
              But i was at the end for 2 fighters who didnt fight at 122. Who cares if he fought him at a catchweight, what difference does that make? Just makes it more clea2 he never fought at 122
              don't even know why you bring that bull**** up about "the benefits of being mexican" as if Mares has been ducking fighters.
              Because him being Mexican and with GBP got him a 122 belt without ever needing to actually fight a 122 pounder

Comment

Im sure you know what i meant when i said he hasnt fought anybody at 122.

And who is this stiffer competition that he will be facing? Ponce and Gonzalez are the only ones there. Donaire and Rigo are stiffer challenges
                I wouldn't say Donaire and Rigo present more danger than Ponce and Gonzalez cuz I view them all as highly dangerous opponents in no particular order. Donaire and Rigo are dangerous cuz of their potent boxing skills whereas Ponce and Gonzalez are danergous cuz they both posses devastating one punch KO power. Ponce and Gonzalez are not the only ones out their for Mares, don't forget about all the fighters that aren't under the TR banner such as, Dibb, Gamboa(if he can make weight), Caballero, Hasegawa, John(GBP's brought him to the states to fight Juarez so I'm sure they can bring him back for the right $) and Russell Jr. The options for Mares at 122 is much lower especially the quality of fighters that aren't with TR. Don't count Beltran's stable either like Mijares, Arce, etc. cuz he pretty much only affiliates with TR. So, ultimately IMO it was a right business move for Mares. No Donaire or Rigo, for why stay at 122?

Comment

Damn. Oh well... We might not ever see him versus the ***** Donita now, who is willing to face anyone but his own promoter.

Comment

I dont know why you're bringing this up, i never said anything about the Moreno winBut i was at the end for 2 fighters who didnt fight at 122.
                    because your saying he didn't fight anyone at 122. The Moreno win at 122 is still a good win even if he wasn't ranked there. It was a 50/50 fight with other people saying he had no chance at winning.

Who cares if he fought him at a catchweight, what difference does that make? Just makes it more clea2 he never fought at 122
                    I mentioned the catchweight because that fight was originally supposed to be at 122 and that title was never on the line originally.And do you really want to talk about fighters being at the end of their careers? weren't Nishioka and Arce also at the end of their careers?

Because him being Mexican and with GBP got him a 122 belt without ever needing to actually fight a 122 pounder
                    Mares never intended on fighting for a vacant title. The WBC was the one who brought in that vacant title weeks after that fight was announced. Thats why im bringing it up, your acting as if he was seeking a easy title win, he made a good defense of it by fighting Moreno. Who gives a **** if he wasn't ranked at 122.

Comment

Originally posted by pixelmademe View Post
                      Damn. Oh well... We might not ever see him versus the ***** Donita now, who is willing to face anyone but his own promoter.
                      I can understand the frustration of fans when Donaire vs Mares didn't materialize but we got the next best thing which is Donaire vs Rigo(assuming Arum doesn't jerk us with Darchinyan). When Rigo first won his title against Ramos by KO my initial thought was he can do the same to Donaire. Although now that I've seen Rigo fight a few more times especially after getting rocked by not so heavy handed Marroquin, I don't know if he would be able to withstand the power of a flush Donaire shot, particularly the left hook. Also, I don't know how Donaire will react to a flush shot on the chin cuz I can't recall anyone of his past opponents landing cleanly on the chin, not Tyson, Montiel or Darchinyan. Donaire must have great defense for me not to remember to many significant punches landed on his face besides Vasquez's stiff jabs, so I'm curious to how he'll react to one of Rigo's laser fast straight lefts. I give the edge to Donaire but its a toss up imo.

Comment

Working...
                      X