Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Margarito look so terrible against Mosley?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post

I know, man. On the outside Mosley tatooed him. Whenever he got close he'd simply tie Margarito up. And that allowed him to rest up and save his spurts. Wash. Repeat. Rinse.
    Isnt that how mayweather would have fought him? Why would thats strategy work for shane but not Floyd?

Comment

I can't believe how many people forgot how so many boxing experts/pundits thought Mosley was being thrown to the wolves.

Everything from his financial issues, to his divorce, to his age all stacked against him most thought he wouldn't see round 12, all for the cards to be stacked where Margo didn't see round 12.

Comment

Originally posted by Burner © View Post
        Because Shane Mosley simply clinched him. Over and over. It rendered Marg useless. Yes a tactic as common as clinching pretty much fried his brain.
        Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post

I know, man. On the outside Mosley tatooed him. Whenever he got close he'd simply tie Margarito up. And that allowed him to rest up and save his spurts. Wash. Repeat. Rinse.

Yep I think it was the key to the fight.
        Originally posted by MR. LARRYX View Post
        Yea he clinched and did not allow Margo to get off plus he kept turning him which stopped Margo from gaining any momentum coming forward...and in the fact that Margo is slow as **** and his punches cant break wind without his wraps and you got an ass1hooping
        Yeah that's something else the speed difference. Shane was sharp that night and goodness tell me dude wasn't trying to kill Margarito with how much he was putting behind those rights. That was one of Shane Mosleys crowing achievements. Old man Mosley had his way.

Originally posted by Jordank View Post
        Isnt that how mayweather would have fought him? Why would thats strategy work for shane but not Floyd?
        I've been saying that Floyd's strength is the most underrated thing about him. All that working out. All of the core work. He is strong as an ox on the inside. Watch any fight of his. When has he ever been bullied? Hes a very strong fighter. He would tie Marg up on inside and get off his right hands.

Knowing Margarito he would try to force him to the ropes during the clinches and hed still have a hard time landing on Mayweather. **** it Ill say it Mayweather is a stronger fighter than Margarito. He just is. Outside of Berto I cant name a WW that I feel is stronger than Mayweather. No one talks about his strength though.

Comment

Originally posted by MR. LARRYX View Post
          Arum stated that Mayweather would have fought Margarito for the 8 million, but he wanted a guaranteed 10 million to fight Miguel Cotto and Ricky Hatton. Arum only guaranteed him 7 million. And for those who don’t know Cotto and Hatton were at the Mayweather-Gatti fight and Cotto was ranked number 5 by the ring at the time (Proof: Listen to the commentary Jim Lampley at the end of round 5) . Cotto had just moved up to the 140 pound weight class and he didn’t make an offer to fight Mayweather after the Gatti fight.

Arum said Mayweather also asked for $20 million to fight De La Hoya, a fight Arum said he wasn’t interested in participating in. “That’s not in the cards,” Arum said. “He wants $20 million for the De La Hoya fight? It’s not there. Sometimes, my man, you gotta know when to hold ‘em and when to fold ‘em. We’ll talk about things down the road.” Notice this part Arum was talking.
          This is the lamest excuse that Floyd fans come up with. So lame! lol!

Arum was interviewed that Cotto would be the guy to beat Floyd but wasn't ready yet and needed more time. Hatton was the same story. Floyd wanted to fight guys that were not ready instead of the guy calling him out. Floyd sings the same song every time but his fans are blind I tell you ..... BLIND!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
            This is the lamest excuse that Floyd fans come up with. So lame! lol!

Arum was interviewed that Cotto would be the guy to beat Floyd but wasn't ready yet and needed more time. Hatton was the same story. Floyd wanted to fight guys that were not ready instead of the guy calling him out. Floyd sings the same song every time but his fans are blind I tell you ..... BLIND!!!
            No Arum wanted Mayweather to sign a contract extention and these were Floyds terms.Arum did not meet them so he left and make 5 times more money and still fought Cotto,Hatton and Oscar WITHOUT ARUM..that is being a smart buisness man..if Manny did this he would have made alot more money instead of constantly signing extensions with Arum..Oscar did it Floyd did it and both are better off for doing it

Comment

I think it was just the styles, like a lot of people pointed out he (Mosley) just did the little things that top boxers have, they clinch pressure fighters and then hit then when they are separated, Mosley didn't allow Margarito to follow him like a mummy he chase after Margarito and clinch him in exchanges.

Comment

Margarito has to be one of the most overrated fighters of the last decade or so. Now whether it was he didn't get his shot at certain times or what, he didn't really end up beating the best and lost his biggest fights too, with the exception of the first Cotto fight.

He beat a lot of fringe and average contenders for several years, along with two decent wins over Cintron and Clottey. He lost to Williams, upset Cotto, than got beat down by Mosley.

And people think this would have been a defining win on someone's resume....

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
                  Boxing has the most excuse making fans out of any other sport. Especially when it comes to Margarito. Every time he lost it followed with ridiculous excuses.

Paul Williams- Williams didn't land anything relevant and was on his way to getting KOed

Shane Mosley- he was distracted and Mosley was on PEDs

Pacquiao- he was weight drained at 150

Cotto 2 - He was coming on at the end and would have KOed him. The stoppage was premature.
                  The excuses are funny and in full force here in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordank View Post
                    Mayweather could have beaten Margarito several different ways.

Comment

Originally posted by jri9d0 View Post
                      I can't believe how many people forgot how so many boxing experts/pundits thought Mosley was being thrown to the wolves.

Everything from his financial issues, to his divorce, to his age all stacked against him most thought he wouldn't see round 12, all for the cards to be stacked where Margo didn't see round 12.
                      Oh no kidding. I've never heard of such a warrior like Margarito, iron-chinned, having a 1.5 year prime where in a fight he won (vs Cotto), all of a sudden ruined him for the Mosley fight Like Mosley had a career where he was never hit or hurt in fights.

Sounds like nothing but excuses to me. He got beat by the better man in Mosley.

Comment

Working...
                      X