Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Vitali Klitschko "dominate" Lennox Lewis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
    well manny hasn't said exactly that.

I don't think lennox would take him out, more likely it would need to be stopped.
    Vitali won 1st and 2nd rounds much clearly than lennox did any. even in rounds 5 and 6 it was pretty even (lennox won those but was clearly in bad state as well as vitali) I would like to see if someone has the stats by rounds.

I haven't seen vitali hurt really. it appeared to me more like exhaustion after that uppercut. Lennox was quite wobbles in 2nd.
    Wrong, wrong wrong.

The Legacy of Lennox Lewis - Manny Steward Interview.

Originally posted by Manny Steward View Post
    Well one of the best fights that he had that people don’t realize was the Golota fight. Going into the Golota fight I told him, “Lennox, this fight could be a good fight because this guy gets a little crazy sometimes when he gets tired, even when he’s winning sometimes—and he’s a bully! So my suggestion is, when you fight a bully, you bully a bully. In other words, don’t let him get into a rhythm. Try to get out and take control of him, and bully him, and rough him up!”

Lennox looked at me with that little funny look, and he didn’t say anything. That’s what he did. He just came out and crushed him. It was not one of the big super fights, but the way he jumped on Golota, I don’t think anybody ever did that to him still. I mean I looked later on when there was Mike when he fought Golota, and a lot of them struggled, but he just came in and crushed him.

I would say other than that, the fights where he realized he was losing and he made an adjustment. You know the fights with Vitali, which clearly he was losing. And I will be with Vitali and Wladimir and we will be together, and some people will ask, “Mr. Steward, who would have won if that fight had of continued with Vitali and Lennox?”

I said, “Lennox was going to win that fight”.

“Well, you know, Vitali was ahead”.

I said, “Ahead is one thing, but he had six rounds to go! In a heavyweight fight, and one fighter’s whole face is torn apart?”

I mean it’s ridiculous. There is no way he was going to win that. Lennox had been in those situations before and then came back.

But nevertheless Lennox was a guy that did what he had to do! I loved that about him. He would make his adjustments, and if you would say “do this” then he would do it. The fight with Tua, we knew that Tua was a little short dangerous guy, and he was going to be dangerous all the way, because he maintained his punching power from the first round to the last. Not like Mike after a certain amount of rounds, Mike’s intensity and punching power were kind of drained. Tua was a little slow guy, but he had punching power with them little short arms. We had a strategy to just go about a good technical for a good technical effort, and not to go for a knockout and take any risks. That’s why we fought that fight that way. But any time if I had changed the plan to get him out of there, Lennox would have gotten him out of there. That’s what made him special to me more so than all of the other heavyweights I’ve saw and worked with in history.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
      Answer the question then.
      I already said that the statements where not mutually exclusive little buddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        I already said that the statements where not mutually exclusive little buddy.

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        Lewis not in shape? Hmmmm.... He was in a long camp in canada preparing for a defense of his championship while Vitali was preparing for an undercard fight before taking the fight with about a weeks notice. Don't give me that weight BS.
        Originally posted by Vitali Klitschko View Post
        Lennox Lewis promised to knock me out in 5 rounds. Why didn't he? I know because he don't have condition for 5 rounds.
        These statements are perfectly relevant to each other.

So pretty please and with sugar on top, who is incorrect, Klit or you?

Comment

• I am well aware of this interview. You could have copy-pasted wlad-lennox comparison as well. Very good one.

Anyhow, there is a significant difference between what you wrote and what manny said here.
          He didn't really mentioned unfit, lazy, fat Lennox. He actually focused on that cut. He admitted Lennox was loosing. I agree competently with the opinion if the fight continued lennox would have won.

Comment

• dunno how you can dominate someone, whilst having your face fall off like a zombie from the walking dead

Comment

• Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
              Vitali and Tyson have 5 common opponents:

Lennox Lewis, Danny Williams, Jose Ribalta, Orlin Norris, Julius Francis

Vitali did better against every common opponent.

Tyson KO'd Francis in 2.

Vitali KO'd Francis in 2.

Tyson-Norris was a no contest.

Vitali destroyed Norris in the 1st round.

Tyson KO'd Ribalta in 10.

Vitali KO'd Ribalta in 2.

Lewis KO'd Tyson.

Vitali dominated Lewis and scared him into retirement.

Williams destroyed Tyson in 4.

Vitali annihilated Williams. It was one of the most brutal beatdowns of all time.

Vitali DESTROYS Tyson.
              This is such a sick way to look at two careers, lmao!

Comment

• Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
                I am well aware of this interview. You could have copy-pasted wlad-lennox comparison as well. Very good one.

Anyhow, there is a significant difference between what you wrote and what manny said here.
                He didn't really mentioned unfit, lazy, fat Lennox. He actually focused on that cut. He admitted Lennox was loosing. I agree competently with the opinion if the fight continued lennox would have won.
                Lennox Lewis Explains Why He Never Gave Vitali Klitschko A Rematch

Former heavyweight king and all-time great Lennox Lewis gave an exclusive and highly interesting interview on T.V last night in the U.K, as he spoke candidly before Sky Sports cameras. The retired legend, now aged 45, made it abundantly clear he will NOT be fighting again; saying how he is aghast to see former foes Evander Holyfield, Hasim Rahman and Shannon Briggs still trying to recapture what they were able to do in their twenties - an “impossible” goal, according to the three-time ruler.

The hour-long interview was full of interesting and revealing comments from the father of three, but it was when he spoke about his epic, somewhat controversial fight with Vitali Kitschko (Lewis’ final fight) that Lennox was most interesting.

Lewis spoke about how he is “always” asked why he never came back to fight Klitschko again, and he gave his reasons for not returning to give us the fight some fans (and Vitali himself) have obsessed about ever since 2003.

“People always ask me why I never came back to fight [Vitali] Kitschko [again],” Lewis said to Sky Sports. “The reason was, I had no hunger for Klitschko - he never said he wanted to eat my children, he never bit me in the leg (as former opponent Mike Tyson had done). He never did anything like that.

“So, when it came time for me to see if I should fight Klitschko again, I thought - at my worst, at my worst! I beat Klitschko and look what I did to his face! I was at my worst - just think [what would’ve happened] if I’d trained just a little bit harder. I didn’t need to fight him again.”

Indeed, fans do tend to forget that Lewis, who had originally trained for a fight with Kirk Johnson the June night he met late replacement Klitschko, had only a limited amount of time to get ready for “Dr Iron Fist” and his style of fighting. Yet still Lewis busted up Klitschko and won via TKO.

Lewis was asked if he feels he would have won had the fight not been stopped due to the quite horrific cuts Klitschko suffered in that great action fight.

“Of course,” Lewis answered. “What I did to Klitschko was, I brought him into the deep water. After five rounds, that was it - the same as it was with Frank Bruno. That’s the problem today with the heavyweights, they only train for a five round fight, and that’s why the Klitschkos beat them, because they are in such great condition.”

Lewis was asked just who gave him his toughest-ever fight. And though Lennox said all his fights were tough in one way or another, the name Ray Mercer came up.

“Ray Mercer was tough,” Lewis admitted. “They put me in a small ring with him! That was a great fight. They really wanted to test my heart, so they gave me that fight. He [Mercer] asked me some questions with his combinations, and I answered him with combinations!”

As to the two losses Lewis suffered in his pro career - to Oliver McCall in 1994 and to Hasim Rahman in 2001 (both avenged) - the 45-year-old gave his reasons for why he lost the two big upsets; McCall first:

“The first loss, to McCall - his right hand got there first,” he said. “And then the referee counted fast. I was up on my feet, and I was like “what are you doing!?” “Let me go on.” But that loss helped me, that and the loss to Hasim Rahman - in that it rekindled the flame that was dwindling in me.”

And why he lost to Rahman?

“Everything was not aligned for me that day. Ask ten people why I lost that fight and they’ll give you ten different reasons. It was the altitude, the different timing, being in a different place - I‘m not trying to make any excuse. But it was a lucky shot, to tell you the truth. In the second fight he never touched me and he couldn’t understand it.”

Lewis did indeed look flawless in the 4th-round KO revenge win over “The Rock,” and he explained to Sky Sports viewers the difference between the lucky punch Rahman won with, and the deliberate shot he himself won the second fight with.

“A lucky shot is a shot that is thrown one time and connects one time,” he explained. “It’s not like the man meant to do it. In the second fight between me and him, I was throwing my right hand from round one, that means I meant to knock him out with that right hand. That was no lucky shot I knocked him out with!”

It’s tough to argue with much of what Lennox says, and maybe now fans will put to rest the idea that he “ducked” a return with Vitali Klitschko.

Indeed, even his harshest critics will surely agree: Lennox Lewis did all that was required of him during his tenure in the sport of boxing!

Comment

• At another forum I post there is a famous saying called 'TKO6' for dealing with discussions like this.

Is that part of the vernacular here?

Comment

• Originally posted by shaunster101 View Post
                    At another forum I post there is a famous saying called 'TKO6' for dealing with discussions like this.

That's exactly the kind of retort you'll find here, pal.

Comment

• Originally posted by shaunster101 View Post
                      At another forum I post there is a famous saying called 'TKO6' for dealing with discussions like this.

Whats up Shaunster? Yeah, TKO6 is used from time to time here too.

Comment

Working...
                      X