Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is "athleticism"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when Athletic is referred to in boxing it doesn't mean the person is good at playing other sports, it usually refers to guys who rely on their physical attributes mainly speed, explosiveness they lack fundamentals.

Examples Roy Jones Jr., Manny Pacquiao, Zab Judah, David Haye, Shane Mosley these guys are all athletic type boxers they lack fundamentals and just rely on their athletic ability.

Comment

It is just words and stereotypes, I would not consider a guy like Brandon Rios as "athletic" but it takes a real athlete to fight like he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantomas View Post
        It is just words and stereotypes, I would not consider a guy like Brandon Rios as "athletic" but it takes a real athlete to fight like he does.
        brandon Rios and Margarito and Pavlik are nonathletic boxers.

Comment

Are there any boxers who are athletic AND have good fundamentals?

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post

Comment

Originally posted by ElBossHogg™ View Post
              Atheltehic = David Haye

Non Athelthic = Vitali
              Vitali's strength, eye hand coordination, reflexes, timing, stamina >>> Haye

Haye has better speed thats all and there is alot more to athleticism than just speed.
              Last edited by Khmelnytsky; 01-12-2013, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
                dude that is like the definition of mayweather.

Also apparently broner can do back flips and **** so I cant see not calling him athletic.

Comment

Originally posted by Khmelnytsky View Post
                  Vitali's eye hand coordination, reflexes, timing, stamina >>> Haye

Haye has better speed thats all and there is alot more to athleticism than just speed.
                  I was gonna say the same thing. Vitali's reflexes are great. he had a bum knee so he looked robotic. Go watch him when he was young kick boxing and he was very fluid. Dude is like 40 and hasnt shown up fat to a single fight his entire career and someone gonna say he isnt athletic.

Comment

Best I've ever seen inperson (for a boxer) is Ray Leonard! When he was at my gym he was doing cartwheels and forward & backward flips on the matts. Loved to play basketball and excellant coordination in everything he did!!
                    His jump rope routine was excellant along with some nice tricks on the speed bag!! This was right around his 4th or 5th pro fight I'd guess. He fought in the New Haven Coll. against some little lightweight who unretired for a couple of grand. I remember the guy had a freshly fixed nose that was freshly broken!!!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by KnockUTheFukOut View Post
                      Adrien Broner

When it comes to boxing, it is guys who can do Multiple Things Well in the Ring and not just 1 or 2 things, guys like Broner, Sergio Martinez, Mayweather of course, Amir Khan, Gamboa, Timothy Bradley, George Groves has good athleticism just to name a few

The Can move around and do things not many other fighters can

Some idiots when they hear "Athletic" right away they think "BLACK AMERICAN FIGHTER" but that is not necessarily the case
                      you conveniently forgot pacquiao, one of the most athletic boxers in this day and age. Extreme agility, explosiveness and speed.

Comment

Working...
                      X