Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come ppl say Marciano isn't the greatest of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RapidFire_Royce View Post
    You are correct I should not lump Louis in with Marciano in this respect as louis did fight bigger men.

And forman's prime was closer to 220.

So now that the discussion moves away from power and toughness to skill how do you create a basis to now compare the skillsets of a marciano to that of an ali or frazier?
    I wasn't wanting trying to compare Marciano's skills to Ali's or Frazier's. Louis' skills trump everyone's, but Marciano is another story.

I was merely stating that size means less and less the heavier you get in the weight classes. Michael Spinks and Ezzard Charles are two light heavyweight legends who were able to win the heavyweight crown. Could a natural strawweight ever win the middleweight title? Of course not.

Comment

What about Rocky Marciano???

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
        I wasn't wanting trying to compare Marciano's skills to Ali's or Frazier's. Louis' skills trump everyone's, but Marciano is another story.

I was merely stating that size means less and less the heavier you get in the weight classes. Michael Spinks and Ezzard Charles are two light heavyweight legends who were able to win the heavyweight crown. Could a natural strawweight ever win the middleweight title? Of course not.
        Oh By no means would I say its impossible to overcome I was wanting to know whatever evidence pertaining to Marciano in particular would allow him to overcome it.

Both Michael spinks (who has one of the most remarkable weight climbs i have ever seen) and Ezzard charles had fighting styles that allowed them to handle weight differences. We do not see what these two guys did as common place and I would argue require a special combination of factors to make possible.

What I don't see in the fighting style and strengths of Marciano is something that would allow him to handle the size difference in the ways the two people you mentioned did.

Comment

Marciano was a great fighter and champion, but his level of competition wasn't as good as Ali's. No Heavyweight has a resume that compares to Ali, and probably never will. marciano was a small heavyweight in sort of a bad era, he did dominate his era and is an ATG but hes not the greatest !
          Marciano didn't have that kind of competition available and by the time he fought Joe Louis,Joe Louis was already washed up. Ali fought everyone (shavers, fraizer, foreman) just to name a few. outside of ezzard charles or walcott and a washed up joe lewis who needed some cash who is there to make a stake for him being #1?

Comment

Originally posted by killamoneymike View Post
            Some people act like he was a fluke or something when he is the only undefeated HW champion.

Heck even Ali himself said he didn't know who'd win in a fight between him and Marciano.

Coming from Ali thats basically like admitting defeat considering how much **** Ali used to talk.

IMO, Rocky doesn't get the credit he deserves. I think prime Rocky, would have beat prime Mike Tyson, would have beat prime Ali, would have beat prime Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, ect.
            its not a fluke that hes the only undefeated HW champion, but it does have alot to do with the fact that he has one of the weakest resumes amongst the HW champions who were considered great.

ezzard charles was a MW past his prime, archie moore and jersey joe walcott were light heavyweights past their primes and joe louis was shot. only world class fighter he fought in his prime was roland lastarza who was good but far from great and wouldnt defeat any top 25 all time HW.

on top of that marciano was extremely one dimensional and flawed. one might question how that so called great chin of his would hold up against HWs knowing what poor defense he had. one might also wonder how that so called great power he had would affect fighters who werent old, small and coming of multiple knockout defeats earlier in their careers.

now im not saying i dont rate marciano, he was a great fighter. but to call him the greatest ever is one hell of a stretch, he doesnt belong in that conversation. anyone who cant see that or the fact that guys like ali and prime louis would make easy work of him need to find another hobby because boxing clearly isnt your thing.

Comment

let me tell u somethin 1 n fo all.. rocky marciano was good.. but compared to joe louis rocky marciano wasnt s h i t!!!

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Riggsy Pooh View Post
                let me tell u somethin 1 n fo all.. rocky marciano was good.. but compared to joe louis rocky marciano wasnt s h i t!!!

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

I think Rocky was one of the greatest pound for pound fighters of all time. He could easily have fought at 175. Heavyweights don't strip down or miss fluids or water to make weight since there is no weight limit. Marciano weighed in the low 180s for his tittle fights wearing shoes and street clothes. He actually weighed less than Charles or Moore when he fought them and they were light heavyweights. He ducked no other heavyweight that I know of while he was champ. He fought old men in tittle fights because those old men [Charles, Moore and Walcott] were the best heavyweights in the world at that time. If they had been young he would have fought them.

Comment

Originally posted by Burner © View Post
                    He's ****in garbage. There I said it.
                    YES and fools speak

Did it ever occur to you and the rest of the Floyd boys that Rockys Record will always be better than your boy Floyds?

49 fights 43 KO's NO Losses

and for the rest of the hypocrites:

I read many say he division was weak,

by Contrast

Name the strong elite prime WW's today that May Jr can face !!

Theres not any and Pac has wiped them out, JR DUCKED them when they were PRIME

Rocky NEVER DUCKED anybody

A prime Tyson might have overpowered Rocky, it would depend on who got his first !

Ali in the 60's should have beaten a prime Rocky unless Rocky caught up to him and broke his body down

Blowing S### out of your mouths on this great champion just won't work, so just shut up and take it

Rocky Marciano has the Greatest heavyweight Record in HISTORY

and before you come back with who did he face ask yourselves the question who did May Jr face over the past 8 years , before you make an A## of yourself think of the prime elite WW fighter that JR proved himself against that made him the so called P4P before you eviscerate the great Rocky Marciano.

Comment

Originally posted by twosweethooks View Post
                      YES and fools speak

Did it ever occur to you and the rest of the Floyd boys that Rockys Record will always be better than your boy Floyds?

49 fights 43 KO's NO Losses

and for the rest of the hypocrites:

I read many say he division was weak,

by Contrast

Name the strong elite prime WW's today that May Jr can face !!

Theres not any and Pac has wiped them out, JR DUCKED them when they were PRIME

Rocky NEVER DUCKED anybody

A prime Tyson might have overpowered Rocky, it would depend on who got his first !

Ali in the 60's should have beaten a prime Rocky unless Rocky caught up to him and broke his body down

Blowing S### out of your mouths on this great champion just won't work, so just shut up and take it

Rocky Marciano has the Greatest heavyweight Record in HISTORY

and before you come back with who did he face ask yourselves the question who did May Jr face over the past 8 years , before you make an A## of yourself think of the prime elite WW fighter that JR proved himself against that made him the so called P4P before you eviscerate the great Rocky Marciano.
                      Excellent post.

Rocky was recognized as a great heavyweight in his time, but nowadays he's very underrated.

Comment

Working...
                      X