Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Karmazin: Pacquiao Could End Up Like Roy Jones Jr.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elijahlyric View Post
    Wrong, see it's these comments that get to me. If you followed boxing more than the past 10 years. You would know that RJJ took punches from BHop, James Tony, The Body snatcher Mike McCallum , even the 1st Tarver fight, Tarver threw and landed his $$ punch plenty of times. it wasn't until RJJ's body gave in and was depleted and could no longer do what he was able to do that Tarver left hand mattered. RJJ was down against Lou de Valle whom was a top 5 light heavy @ the time. Lou De Valle hit RJJ with the same punch Tarver knocked RJJ out with, but RJJ was able to recover. Hence him being in his prime, and before he traveled to heavy weight, and came back down and damaged his body. Lou De Valle was known as being a heavy handed puncher too
    Excellent post. Not making any excuses for RJ. Because I feel style-wise Tarver would have given RJ problems at any point in his career. Not only because of style but because of Tarver's obsession with Roy. He couldn't beat anyone else worth a ****. His whole life was centered around RJ. That said, it is forgotten (or possibily not known by many of these boxing novices) that Tarver was about the 4th option for RJ heading into their first fight. Fights with Corrie Sanders, Holyfield, and Byrd, and I think maybe even Tyson were discussed and negotiated. After all those fell through, he settled on Tarver about 8 weeks out. He basically had 8 weeks to shred 20lb+ of pure muscle. I don't know if it was to blame for his decline. But I'm sure melting that much muscle in that short of time can't be good for someone in their late 30s.

Comment

Originally posted by hitking View Post
      Why did he need to fight Pacquaio? I mean, it would have been a nice little event. But the reason the fight was thought to have been NEEDED is because they were thought to be the best two fighters of the era. They weren't. Floyd and JMM were. And Floyd had the balls to fight the next best guy of his era. And he beat the eva lovin' piss outta him. End of story. Feel free to live in your little "Floyd's scared of Manny" world all you want. But at this point, the Floyd-Manny fight wasn't what we thought it was. And we got our #1 vs #2 of the era. And to this day, people try and act like the fight didn't happen. Hilarious.
      How do you figure all this? You think JMM just overtook Pac in ATG rankings? Did Tarver also overtake RJJ way back, then just added separation since?

Comment

Originally posted by Jerub_Baal View Post
        Why is an idiot like this guy being quoted, and why is it news on what I thought was a decent boxing site???!!!
        Karmazin is an expert on being shot.

Comment

if pacman keeps fighting its exactley how he'll end up, all one has to do is look at his brother Bobby case closed.

Comment

Originally posted by elijahlyric View Post
            Wrong, see it's these comments that get to me. If you followed boxing more than the past 10 years. You would know that RJJ took punches from BHop, James Tony, The Body snatcher Mike McCallum , even the 1st Tarver fight, Tarver threw and landed his $$ punch plenty of times. it wasn't until RJJ's body gave in and was depleted and could no longer do what he was able to do that Tarver left hand mattered. RJJ was down against Lou de Valle whom was a top 5 light heavy @ the time. Lou De Valle hit RJJ with the same punch Tarver knocked RJJ out with, but RJJ was able to recover. Hence him being in his prime, and before he traveled to heavy weight, and came back down and damaged his body. Lou De Valle was known as being a heavy handed puncher too
            Ya you are right.. I just wanted a chance to talk about glass chins and use the word 'plankquiao' some more.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
              Karmazin is an expert on being shot.
              and you think pacman is shot???!!! what the fuck happened to boxingscene, it used to have posters with some sense, now it's just a heaping pile of steaming shit.....

Comment

How do you figure all this? You think JMM just overtook Pac in ATG rankings? Did Tarver also overtake RJJ way back, then just added separation since?
                Yes, I believe he did overtake Pac in the ATG ranks. And its kinda an apples and oranges situation compared to Tarver-Jones. JMM's body of work outside of Pac easily trumps anything Tarver ever did. JMM held it down and beat a lot of top featherweights and was shamefully ducked by the likes of Barrera, Morales, and most notably Hamed to be basically frozen outta that golden era of featherweights. JMM was the lightweight king for years. And basically fought Pac head up until finally earning a decisive victory. Pac's career accomplishments are more celebrated. But JMM's resume isn't that far behind and with the head-to-head being taken into consideration. If both never fought again, IMO JMM is historically the better fighter.

Comment

Yes, I believe he did overtake Pac in the ATG ranks. And its kinda an apples and oranges situation compared to Tarver-Jones. JMM's body of work outside of Pac easily trumps anything Tarver ever did. JMM held it down and beat a lot of top featherweights and was shamefully ducked by the likes of Barrera, Morales, and most notably Hamed to be basically frozen outta that golden era of featherweights. JMM was the lightweight king for years. And basically fought Pac head up until finally earning a decisive victory. Pac's career accomplishments are more celebrated. But JMM's resume isn't that far behind and with the head-to-head being taken into consideration. If both never fought again, IMO JMM is historically the better fighter.
                  No chance, no reputable ranking will have JMM above Pac. It's only this fight that made him a sure fire ATG, Pac's been there for years.

Comment

Excellent post. Not making any excuses for RJ. Because I feel style-wise Tarver would have given RJ problems at any point in his career. Not only because of style but because of Tarver's obsession with Roy. He couldn't beat anyone else worth a ****. His whole life was centered around RJ. That said, it is forgotten (or possibily not known by many of these boxing novices) that Tarver was about the 4th option for RJ heading into their first fight. Fights with Corrie Sanders, Holyfield, and Byrd, and I think maybe even Tyson were discussed and negotiated. After all those fell through, he settled on Tarver about 8 weeks out. He basically had 8 weeks to shred 20lb+ of pure muscle. I don't know if it was to blame for his decline. But I'm sure melting that much muscle in that short of time can't be good for someone in their late 30s.
                    Thanks, no doubt Tarver would always be a problem for RJJ, 6'2 slick deceptive speed, good defense & fundamentals as well as good power

Comment

No chance, no reputable ranking will have JMM above Pac. It's only this fight that made him a sure fire ATG, Pac's been there for years.
                      Apperantly, you know very little to nothing about JMM's history.....or Pac's sor that matter.

Comment

Working...
                      X