Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is more popular: boxing or American football?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
    so american football is significantly more popular than basketball or baseball?
    2 part question

In the United States yes, without question. Especially if we not only dip into the revenue the NFL generates, but the entire NCAA Football network as a whole.

In other parts of the world Basketball and Baseball are assuredly more popular. Nowadays Basketball is 2nd only to soccer in terms of global popularity.

Comment

Originally posted by sk819 View Post
      i dont think anyone watches american football outside of america. boxing is a global sport. football, or what americans lovingly call 'soccer', is the most popular sport on the planet.

ps. rugby and american football sucks ass
      Canada plays, Mexico watches, and it has small followings in England, Germany, and Japan, but that's about it.
      Last edited by Biolink; 12-27-2012, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Football (NFL/College) is number one in the States. Baseball (MLB) is number two with the Basketball (NBA/College)is three!! I'm basing my opinion on people I know and what they watch or have participation in.
        Boxing has not been a main stream sport to view in a very long time. It started to fade when Boxing began its TV shows (Gillette Calvacade of Sports, 1950s). Anytime the "live gate" suffers the sport itself will fade from popularity. People could stay home and watch boxing all across New England and New York along with Jersey and D.C and Penn (Philly). Those areas were the hot spots for boxing from the 20s thru the 60s. Boxing shows were still being offered to the public as late as 1985 but no wheres near the frequency of the past.
        In the late 70s and 80s the live shows were parlayed with closed circuit shows and were very sucessfull.
        I've lived in Florida for the passed 20 years and theres very few shows throughout the state. When boxing looses its "local appeal" the base of the business is missing. The main stream can survive and do pretty damn well using HBO for their top gate but the sports overall popularity suffers.
        Theres major cities that don't even offer a boxing gym that alone tells the story!!! Ray.

Comment

America is football country. People are crazy for it from highschool ball to the pro's. No sport can come close to it.

Boxing is, unfortunately, not even a top 5 sport. I'd say football, basketball, baseball, hocky and soccor or golf or UFC are all bigger sports than boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by RossCA View Post
            Ain't that the truth. I can't even watch football, its too boring.
            X2
            If offered the chance for super bowl tickets or a super figght tickets id take the superbowl tickets sell them and get fight night tickets and cash left over lll

Comment

Originally posted by Nagabilly View Post
              Okay I assume everyone in this thread is American. I have a bonus, off-topic question: What do you guys think of football, or "soccer" ? Why do you think it isn't popular in US?
              Soccer is alright, but I personally just haven't been able to get into it, though I admire their skills. The pacing for some reason reminds me a lot of baseball. I can miss entire chunks of baseball and for some reason still feel like I haven't missed anything important. Same thing for Soccer. For all intents and purposes Ice Hockey is basically "our" version of Soccer and it is a shyt ton more fun to watch.

Not really sure why it isn't popular now, but by 2050 when the USA becomes the United States of Mexico it should be up there in popularity by then.
              Last edited by Biolink; 12-27-2012, 03:17 PM.

Comment

are there other countries that watch american football but the US?...i watch it too but **** is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                  ...As far as the cardio and endurance conditioning, I know football players who routinely perform 2 a days where they practice twice a day at 3 hours a piece. I'm talking suicides non-stop until you drop and vomit your guts out, 5 mile runs, sand bag runs uphill, etc...
                  NFL athletes have evolved into veritable supermen in the past few decades. While the legends of the sport that played in the 70s and 80s were excellent athletes, they pale in comparison to their more modern counterparts. The guys playing the sport today are pushing the envelope of human speed, power, strength and athleticism. Liking a sport is a matter of taste, but it can't be argued that NFL players in general are athletic specimens.

Comment

Okay I assume everyone in this thread is American. I have a bonus, off-topic question: What do you guys think of football, or "soccer" ? Why do you think it isn't popular in US?
                    Soccer is actually the most played youth sport in America, beating out youth basketball, Am. Football, baseball etc.

Here in America almost every single school has school sports that you can play for free. We aren't allowed to play these sports until age 11-12 though, so in the meantime we play youth sports.

These school sports consist of Basketball, American Football, wrestling, swimming, tennis, golf, soccer, Baseball etc. there is a large variety. Most of these kids will abandon soccer for football, baseball, and basketball.

A single football roster will consist of up to around 40 kids, basketball around 14, baseball 14 I'm not sure. These are split up into A/B teams, the best kids will play on the A team and the kids who aren't very good play on the B team, there will be 2 AM football rosters of 40 (80 kids), basketball (28 kids) etc. those 3 sports suck up a large amount of kids.

Soccer is viewed as a girls sport here, the kids that do play it in school are either mostly Mexicans as it's apart of their culture, or the really unathletic kids that couldn't make it in other sports. Same with the tennis and golf players, 90% of these kids are skinny geeks that everybody makes fun of.

Comment

Which is the more popular sport?
                      in america?

this shouldnt even be a question. its american football.

throughout the world?

its still boxing.

Comment

Working...
                      X