Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is more popular: boxing or American football?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Grimgash View Post
    Yeah the super bowl is every year. Though latino and italian americans really put a lot into the big three. Latino communities in the US are HUGE on baseball, they dominate baseball really. Italians are big into football. Soccer is played here but generally minus world cup years you rarely hear about it, and american leagues are not even really relevant.

In terms of coverage from ESPN you're more likely to see highlights from a euro soccer league than even the american ones. Different sporting culture.

Put it this way, in american high schools if you play one of the big three you're a jock, and fairly well known. Playing soccer is on par with running track, or cross country no one really follows it. When I was in highschool our team went to the state championships and rarely anyone ever cared enough to watch them play, but any other sport you'd have a huge showing regardless of record (though we we're good at all three back then).

Hell I'll be even more blunt about the popularity of sports... you're more likely to see a highschool football game on espn then a MLS game...that's just how vast the difference is here.
    Yeah I'm in the States from time to time and generally speaking I noticed the huge focus on school level sports compared to Europe.

Originally posted by DTMB View Post
    nfl players would crush rugby players.

crush them.

nfl players are bigger, stronger, faster, and more athletic than rugby players.
    Not getting into the back and forth but there have been some US football players who have played rugby and vice versa*. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Truth be told, they're pretty different games/sports.

* USA rugby player Hayden Smith is now with the NY Jets, used to play basketball too.

Comment

One more thing to put it in perspective for America's viewership.

http://deadspin.com/5925758/here-are...l-owns-america

Read the article and you'll see my guess on championship viewing earlier was spot on. (I'm good at these figure guessing from just knowing my friends and family)
      over 650 million people watched the Manchester derby in April thats more then 6 superbowls and over 400 milion people watch every time Real Madrid and Barca play each other and 300 Million people watched the UEFA champions league Final Chelsea vs Munich

just to put things in prospective for you

Comment

• Originally posted by Phenom View Post
        over 650 million people watched the Manchester derby in April thats more then 6 superbowls and over 400 milion people watch every time Real Madrid and Barca play each other and 300 Million people watched the UEFA champions league Final Chelsea vs Munich

just to put things in prospective for you
        Perspective how? This is an American Sport, and these comments have been in america.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...nts-in-the-wor

How's that for you. It's number 5 on the list and its a USA only thing. Compared to global sports it still beats out others.

I'm not sure why you want to turn this into a dick slinging match, but if you don't actually read the posts don't reply to them.

Ill just throw this out for you though, since you seemed to want to go that route, its praise (sort of).

Just in the United States, the UEFA Champions League Final drew 4.2 million viewers, which is impressive considering that people consider soccer as a dead sport in America.

Comment

Perspective how? This is an American Sport, and these comments have been in america.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...nts-in-the-wor

How's that for you. It's number 5 on the list and its a USA only thing. Compared to global sports it still beats out others.

I'm not sure why you want to turn this into a dick slinging match, but if you don't actually read the posts don't reply to them.

Ill just throw this out for you though, since you seemed to want to go that route, its praise (sort of).

Just in the United States, the UEFA Champions League Final drew 4.2 million viewers, which is impressive considering that people consider soccer as a dead sport in America.
          ??????????????
          Originally posted by Grimgash View Post

I think the superbowl is the most watched sporting event even globally though overall soccer is the biggest world wide, with american football second. He'll even england wants a football team (american) to play in the NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phenom View Post
            ??????????????
            Touche, I guess I got a little carried away with the end of your post being cynical towards mine. I was in the wrong and I admit that. My apologies to you.

Comment

• Wait?

are some of you fuking god damn country hicks actually argueing over

if the NFL is bigger than soccer? Lmfao.

Cristiano Ronaldo is the most followed athlete on TWITTER.
              AN AMERICAN Trend.. lmao

Comment

Touche, I guess I got a little carried away with the end of your post being cynical towards mine. I was in the wrong and I admit that. My apologies to you.
                Nobody give one fuk about your apologies. This is a boxing site, this ain't church or your biology lab where you accidentally spilled chemicals on that fat chick's dress.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skittlez View Post
                  Wait?

are some of you fuking god damn country hicks actually argueing over

if the NFL is bigger than soccer? Lmfao.

Cristiano Ronaldo is the most followed athlete on TWITTER.
                  AN AMERICAN Trend.. lmao
                  In the US soccer is nothing... it pretty much doesn't exist. Globally it's well known soccer is bigger. If you're honestly going to tell me soccer is bigger than football in the US you are outside of your mind.

Comment

In the US soccer is nothing... it pretty much doesn't exist. Globally it's well known soccer is bigger. If you're honestly going to tell me soccer is bigger than football in the US you are outside of your mind.
                    Did this thread ask about the US or it didn't say?

Blame the OP but of course we are talking about soccer from a GLOBAL stand point.

Globally boxing IS more popular than American football. And Soccer is #1.

You can't seriously argue the NFL is more popular than boxing from a global stand point.

Klitschkos might be 2nd tier compared to Bayern Munich in Germany but they sure as hell are 10x more popular than Tim Brady in Germany.
                    (The England Patrots guy who throws the ball)

Comment

• Originally posted by Skittlez View Post
                      Did this thread ask about the US or it didn't say?

Blame the OP but of course we are talking about soccer from a GLOBAL stand point.

Globally boxing IS more popular than American football. And Soccer is #1.

You can't seriously argue the NFL is more popular than boxing from a global stand point.

Klitschkos might be 2nd tier compared to Bayern Munich in Germany but they sure as hell are 10x more popular than Tim Brady in Germany.
                      (The England Patrots guy who throws the ball)
                      He should have specified. Either way the answer is fairly obvious comparing a national sport to a global so the thread is kind of odd. Soccer is #1 globally. Football is #1 in America. Boxing is bigger than football globally in terms of viewership.

I might say though, and I could be wrong but in terms of revenue generated world wide Soccer then US Football then boxing. I can look up the numbers if you want, but I would have to say that sounds accurate.

This thread is vague like you said, so theres a ton of different discussions that can be had, wish it'd be edited.

Comment

Working...
                      X