Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's with all the "Guerrero deserves the shot against Floyd"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
    I like and respect Guerrero's toughness but real boxing fans know that the best and biggest fight that can happen right now for Floyd is against Canelo. It seems as if everyone is just accepting the politics of "let him fight the Ghost to build up a fight with Canelo in Sept". Who says there's a guarantee Floyd fights Canelo in Sept or that Floyd even fights at all after May? Guerrero's only chance at victory is if he makes it ugly the way he did against Berto and hope that Floyd's legs are really gone. If not Floyd picks him apart from the outside en route to a UD.

Now aside from a few Floyd diehards that seem to be concerned about Floyd fighting Canelo for whatever reason, there is absolutely ZERO fan outcry for a Floyd/Guerrero fight. Casual boxing fans wouldnt even be able to pick out Guerrero in a 3 man lineup. He's just not known outside of the boxing diehards. Canelo on the other hand is the most recognizable Mexican fighter at the moment aside from maybe Chavez Jr. He has a huge following and it would make for a tremendously successful PPV. Ellerbe stated that Floyd only wants BIG fights next year. There's nothing "BIG" about a fight with Guererro

Now as for: "well Guerrero deserves the shot". Really? How? By beating a guy that Floyd already beat in only his 2nd fight at 147? You can say that Canelo hasnt really fought anyone worthy of lining him up a shot against Floyd and that may be true. Fact is though that given the notoriety of both fighters, the styles of both fighters, the strength and size that Canelo brings to the ring along with his combination punching power, it makes for a MUCH bigger event on Cinco de Mayo wknd than Floyd/Guerrero fight.

-Who did Cotto beat to deserve a shot at Floyd? A one-eyed shot Margarito?

- Who did JMM beat to deserve a shot at Floyd? Juan Diaz @ 135?

- Who did Ricky Hatton beat to deserve a shot at Floyd? A shot to pieces Jose Luis Castillo?

- Who did ODH beat to deserve a shot at Floyd? Ricardo Mayorga?

Etc....

The reason why most of these fights happened were because of name recognition and they made for big events. So lets not act as if Floyd only fights fighters who "deserve" a shot against him. Canelo is a young prime fighter who is calling Floyd out. Every Floyd fan should be demanding this fight!

Canelo may be the best fight for Floyd (name wise) but that wouldn't the the best fight for Guerrero though. Floyd will want to fight the game Guerrero first before taking on the bigger, stronger, much younger Canelo.

You aren't really making it about being deserving or not, you are making about notoriety and money. In terms of deserving, Guerrero deserves it much more than Canelo.

One last thing, who did Floyd beat that Guerrero already beat? Floyd didn't fight Berto or Aydin.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
      Once again, Since when do you have to "deserve" a fight with Floyd? What did the majority of Floyd's opponents do to "deserve" a fight with him? Floyd says its all about the money and how this is "prizefighting" right? Well the bigger prize comes with the bigger fight against Canelo.
      Maybe fight ppl ranked in their own division..

Comment

Larry is that you?

Originally posted by STAX ON DECK View Post
        u bum ass pac turds will look for anything to descredit him or his fights but yall have to live with your hero getting ktfo by a guy that floyd toyed with
        That JMM, wasn't the same JMM that fought Manny last week.

Floyd fought the old JMM at 142lbs

Manny fought the new JMM2.0 with juice PED power at 143lbs

I welcome a Floyd vs JMM2.0 fight though. It would be interesting. It would surely have a different outcome. Angel Memo's PEDS would beat the testing again, and Floyd would be KO'd like Manny.

Comment

Isn't he his mandatory at 147?

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
            Canelo may be the best fight for Floyd (name wise) but that wouldn't the the best fight for Guerrero though. Floyd will want to fight the game Guerrero first before taking on the bigger, stronger, much younger Canelo.

You aren't really making it about being deserving or not, you are making about notoriety and money. In terms of deserving, Guerrero deserves it much more than Canelo.

One last thing, who did Floyd beat that Guerrero already beat? Floyd didn't fight Berto or Aydin.
            Isnt this what Floyd constantly preaches?

Comment

Originally posted by WESS View Post
              I believe Bradley, JMM and the Ghost are the top 3 WW’s. Alvarez is a top 3 JMW (and should be fighting Trout to prove he is the best). They both are at least top 5 in their respected weight classes.

When you compare that to Pac, when has he last fought a top 5 fighter IN the weight division he has been fighting in (WW and JMW)?

However If Bradley was a fight to be made, meaning if Bob was not promoting him, I would say that is the best possible fight to be made at WW.

Yet we both know Bob would never allow it. He’s still going to get a Pac vs Bradley II fight in before Pac retires, let alone the Mayweather fight right before Pac retires.
              Cotto is Pac's best win at WW, and when he could've fought Mosley coming off his big win against Margarito, he fought Clottey instead. Then he had the audacity to fight Mosley a year after Floyd had already beaten him. A prime example of horrible match-making.

If Guerrero had beaten the winner of Alexander/Brook and Bradley, I would be hype as hell about the match-up. It's unfortunate that things rarely work out this way in boxing. I try to hold Mayweather to a realistic standard, but his inactivity just makes me want to see him fight only the absolute BEST that each division has to offer. The problem is, everyone wants to follow his lead and they build their careers around him. The fact that Guerrero jumped two divisions and fought the WBC #1 contender (Aydin) is proof of that. He could've went to 140, which has many match-ups available, but he's looking to hit the jackpot. Floyd is the best of both worlds, you get paid well and you get to fight arguably the #1 in boxing.
              Last edited by kiaba360; 12-20-2012, 09:51 PM.

Comment

He's not the most deserving. The most deserving is Martinez.

But, he's more deserving than Canelo, obviously.

Canelo is the much bigger fight which is why I'm guessing he's fighting Guererro first as opposed to after.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post

Because he won a rough fight with the terrible Andre Berto?

Comment

Wow a Floyd thread by a butthurt Manny dick rider...we never get these.

Comment

@hhs611

Originally posted by hhs661 View Post
                      Well one thing's for sure. Guerrero has done more @ 147 than Bradley did, who I didn't feel deserved a Pac fight by beating a very old Casamayor.

Even with my doubts about Timmy, he proved me wrong by defeating the 8 division, fighter of the decade. So I reserve any criticism I have of Guerrero being Floyd's next possible opponent
                      Really man? Timmy just defeated Manny.... lol. Did you even watch the fight?

The only thing Timmy did was catch alotta punches with his face. All night.

Comment

Working...
                      X