No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Pacquiao vs. Marquez Still Generates Huge Business

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slip Stream View Post
    A rematch is intended to settle a question in dispute, it's intended to reexamine a previous fight under similar circumstances to produce a decisive result. So, from time to time rematches are needed to settle close fights and rivalries. However, another fight between these two isn't warranted in my humble opinion. The result in this last fight wasn't only utterly and brutally decisive, it greatly calls into question--in my opinion--Manny Pacquiao's fitness to continue boxing.

Anyone that's watched Manny over the years and cheered mindlessly as he took punch after punch in order to secure a victory, heed this moment, understand it for what it probably is. This moment comes in every fighter's career, unless they choose to call it quits, the moment when reality wins out and all the punches a fighter takes over the course of a career add up.

Manny hasn't looked stellar for awhile and this isn't a coincidence as Manny has chosen to fight with a style of diminishing returns. Sure a 5th fight would generate a lot of interest, but in my humble opinion a man knocked unconscious with such brutality needs time, time to recover, time to reflect, and time to return if its feasible. To demand a 5th fight out of Manny now is to play into Bob Arum's "milk em for all he's worth strategy."

Meh, but what do some people care anyway? Since Manny is invincible, what's brutal knockout anyway?
    Nobody is forcing anything on Pac. You think he needs to be protected from himself, like RJJ?

Comment

Mayweather should fight Pac to prove he's the best of the two. It would silence many people.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
        Nobody is forcing anything on Pac. You think he needs to be protected from himself, like RJJ?
        It's not that he needs to be protected from himself ala RJJ, but how many fights he legally owes Top Rank.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
          It's not that he needs to be protected from himself ala RJJ, but how many fights he legally owes Top Rank.
          So are you saying he's being pushed into a premature return? I think he really wants be back asap to wash this away, and isn't at the stage where you'd need to nanny him.

Comment

So are you saying he's being pushed into a premature return? I think he really wants be back asap to wash this away, and isn't at the stage where you'd need to nanny him.
            How do you wash away brain damage yo?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/b/brain_damage.htm

Comment

If JMM"s brother was denied a rematch after he was KO'ed (and SD'ed immediately after) we would have not had his and Vazquez's 4th, and his redemption KO.

Just sayin...I guess only the Marquez'es deserve rematches.

Comment

Honestly i'd be pretty surprised if Manny didnt get his revenge in a 5th fight. Manny was pretty much landing at will until that perfect right by Marquez. It would sell and bring good drama. Make it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Hammer View Post
                  Honestly i'd be pretty surprised if Manny didnt get his revenge in a 5th fight. Manny was pretty much landing at will until that perfect right by Marquez. It would sell and bring good drama. Make it happen.
                  First things first, need to make sure he's healthy...but yea, I'm all for another war.

Comment

Not a premature return to the ring in terms of time, but back into the deep end. Manny's a big boy and can take care of himself, but for his whole career he could count on his fists and his chin. Now that he's been solidly knocked out, its improbable that his faith in his chin isn't checked. Manny needs to reaffirm his belief in his chin, otherwise a little voice is going to nagging, "Can you take it? Can you take it?" right as a punch is coming for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Slip Stream View Post
                      How do you wash away brain damage yo?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/b/brain_damage.htm
                      Dude you're on a boxing message board, these guys take and deal out brain damage for a living, that won't change. What's your point, that he should retire, sit out 6 months min, what?

He wouldn't be washing away the ko, only some of the bad taste that must have left.

Comment

Working...
                      X