Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's next for the Puerto Rican fanbase?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's next for the Puerto Rican fanbase?
    mass sepukku or mass exodus from boxing

Comment

Originally posted by Fistic
      Quote:

Originally Posted by jsfd26

I'm assuming you are PR? Why at this point tho? Cause he just started repping and acknowledging PR? I think the only reason you didn't know about him was cause he didn't rep PR. I could he wrong tho.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Yeah I'm PR. Garcia wasn't even on my radar to be honest. I guess I don't have time to follow boxing as much as I would like to and learn about some of the younger guys that are out there until they have their "big shot."

I honestly thought he was Mexican until I saw the PR flag on his trunks during Morales I. Something about the name Garcia in boxing...

Anyways I do follow all boxers not just PR, but there is a special sense of pride when it comes to PR fighters.
      This is the point I was trying to make earlier. When I was little and lived in Cuba Mike freaking Tyson was the reason why I got into boxing. Over there they don't show fights from here but someone brought over a VHS of his fight and I watched it and I got into boxing. So I can't say I watch boxing just cause of Cubans. I watch boxing cause I'm a fan of the sport . But there's nothing like watching and rooting for your guy. I don't get the same feeling rooting for Khan or whoever as I do rooting for Gamboa, Rigo or Lara or any other Cuban.

Comment

Originally posted by Fistic
        Quote:

Originally Posted by jtcs1981

It doesnt matter how many ricans live in the states. If you dont know the culture how you claim to be one? I bet the guy dont know what is La Borinqueña, dont know who is Muñoz Marin, Albizu, Ferre, Barbosa, Hostos or know what is Guajataca, Palomino, Guilligan or even Charco Azul. I'm sorry, if you dont know our lifestyle and you dont take time to meet your heritage, you are not repping our flag.

Danny Garcia is not rican. Stop with that bullsht. Verdejo? Have you seen him fight? Let him have a few fights before creating new heroes and making us ricans look like complete mamones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enchanted

Garcia is not a true Rican. I don't mind him repping his roots, but he will never be considered PR to me.

He doesn't know the culture or the history, has never lived here, and doesn't even know how to speak spanish.

He is an American of Puerto Rican descent, end of discussion.

Do you guys even know Danny Garcia enough to comment on his "Puerto Ricanism"?

I know US born and raised Puerto Ricans that probably know more about PR history, culture and politics than most people on the island. Being PR is more than where you were born and raised or how much Spanish you speak (especially considering we are a bilingual culture, one or the other should suffice no?).

FYI, PR would not be as popular as it is without the huge diaspora that also represents the Puerto Rican culture all over the world. Plenty of Rican/American men and women taking care of business in many professions and all across the globe. Many of the men do not shave their legs and eyebrows, so maybe that disqualifies them as "real" PR, but so what.

Danny is American, and he should be proud of that. But he clearly acknowledges his family's roots. He is young. That appreciation can grow over time.
        I can't answer that question but for the people who live in the island, how many times have you heard of Garcia taking a trip down there? How many press conferences has he had down there? If the answer is 0 you have to question his Puerto Ricanism IMO.

If the guy went down there and had a press conference in English what would happen?

Comment

Originally posted by devildg View Post
          Mexico and Puerto Rico always produce great boxers, they have a great track record, calm down
          This.

PR boxing will be strong again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Fistic View Post
            Do you guys even know Danny Garcia enough to comment on his "Puerto Ricanism"?

I know US born and raised Puerto Ricans that probably know more about PR history, culture and politics than most people on the island. Being PR is more than where you were born and raised or how much Spanish you speak (especially considering we are a bilingual culture, one or the other should suffice no?).

FYI, PR would not be as popular as it is without the huge diaspora that also represents the Puerto Rican culture all over the world. Plenty of Rican/American men and women taking care of business in many professions and all across the globe. Many of the men do not shave their legs and eyebrows, so maybe that disqualifies them as "real" PR, but so what.

Danny is American, and he should be proud of that. But he clearly acknowledges his family's roots. He is young. That appreciation can grow over time.
            I know none. I seen people that think they know but they can even grasp the concept of a chinchorro. And what kind of fame you are talking about? Do you know how they stereotype us due to those so call ricans living and raise in the states? In the movies they talk about us carrying knife. WTF? People think we all live off welfare and most are criminals.

FYI and no disrespect but Fania, Gran Combo, Feliciano, Jose Ferrer, Raul Julia, Roberto Clemente made our island popular.

Comment

this is a good time for reflection for the site pr's, i challenge them to pick a messican boxer and ride with them for a bit.

when this first happened, in where bori's had a slow down was when tito lost to hopkins. i remember at that time my fanboyism of jmm and barrera went through the roof.

Comment

the caveat being that you must not posess an inner hate towards the messicans, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by jtcs1981 View Post
                  I know none. I seen people that think they know but they can even grasp the concept of a chinchorro. And what kind of fame you are talking about? Do you know how they stereotype us due to those so call ricans living and raise in the states? In the movies they talk about us carrying knife. WTF? People think we all live off welfare and most are criminals.

FYI and no disrespect but Fania, Gran Combo, Feliciano, Jose Ferrer, Raul Julia, Roberto Clemente made our island popular.
                  You preach the truth brotha!

Oh lawd! Good gawd almighty!

Tito Puente was overrated, I lost all respect for him after learning he dismissed the word salsa existed for the genre.

All kidding aside, I think theres a lot to be thankful for in terms of the existence of stateside puerto ricans. I dont know why the drugs stereotype exists with puerto ricans.Its not like we even have a Top 10 Mafia in the world. Colombians, mexicans, japanese, russians, americans, etc. beat us to that. If anything we should have a stereotype for being great singers! (not including me).

Comment

Originally posted by baya View Post
                    this is a good time for reflection for the site pr's, i challenge them to pick a messican boxer and ride with them for a bit.

when this first happened, in where bori's had a slow down was when tito lost to hopkins. i remember at that time my fanboyism of jmm and barrera went through the roof.
                    I already have, three times.

Im a fan of messy-can fighters De Leon, Tyson Marquez, and now Leo Santa Cruz.

I actually started watching non puerto rican fighters the day Tito fought Mayorga. I remember watching the undercard: Judah vs Martell fight.

First thing when I looked at Judah during the introductions was "Damn look at all those people holding his belts grandpa, what the hell is he an unified champ?"

Judah proceeded to give Martell a first round tko.
                    Last edited by ELHURACAN58; 12-03-2012, 02:45 PM.

Comment

PR will bounce back, Relax people.

Comment

Working...
                      X