Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's next for the Puerto Rican fanbase?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right now the only guy with the potential to take over the mantle of the big PR draw and face of Puerto Rican boxing is Danny Garcia and Felix Verdejo who will have Top Rank behind him. Cotto will still be the face of the franchise so to speak till the day he retires but right now those two are the one that could take over when he walks away.

Comment

Orlando Cruz

Comment

Danny can build a Rican fanbase, especially now that there is a void. No one is saying he is going to be Tito or Cotto but he'll sell tickets. Garcia is Rican-American so what... so are probably the majority of Ricans on the east coast, especially after a few generations have already migrated to America. Right now no one can say for sure but if he keeps winning and beating big name/top notch opponents that bandwagon will keep getting people boarding it, because he is Rican "enough" given the void.

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalisticMeth View Post
          Both of Garcia's parents are born and raised in Puerto Rico so that counts. Btw Felix Verdejo debuts this week on ESPN he could be the next big thing and has Top Rank behind him.

Comment

People forget that a large part of Cotto fan base is rican-american. De La Hoya was mexican-american and was still considered Mexican so I dont think gaining that fan base will be a problem.

Comment

Right now the only guy with the potential to take over the mantle of the big PR draw and face of Puerto Rican boxing is Danny Garcia and Felix Verdejo who will have Top Rank behind him. Cotto will still be the face of the franchise so to speak till the day he retires but right now those two are the one that could take over when he walks away.
              i thought he was american?

Comment

Originally posted by Fistic View Post
                There are as many Puerto Ricans in the diaspora than there are on the island. Also, consider the fact that PRs are considered "Americans" to some extent.

That said, I think Danny Garcia is a legitimate PR champion at this point. I think his trajectory resonates with many Ricans. Honestly, I didn't know much about him prior to Morales I, but I'm a fan now.

Velez looked really good last Saturday. He takes on Ponce de Leon next-looking forward to that fight.

Hopefully Dulorme and DelValle can bounce back strong next year.

I read that Velazquez was back on the scene, he was a promising prospect...
                It doesnt matter how many ricans live in the states. If you dont know the culture how you claim to be one? I bet the guy dont know what is La Borinqueña, dont know who is Muñoz Marin, Albizu, Ferre, Barbosa, Hostos or know what is Guajataca, Palomino, Guilligan or even Charco Azul. I'm sorry, if you dont know our lifestyle and you dont take time to meet your heritage, you are not repping our flag.

Originally posted by SoggyLungs View Post
                they have that nice up and comer jayson velez...also vazquez jr is still in the picture as well along with danny garcia.
                Velez sucks. He is not good. He look impressive against a guy that was a walking punching bag. Beranza beat his a$$ handily.

Danny Garcia is not rican. Stop with that bullsht. Verdejo? Have you seen him fight? Let him have a few fights before creating new heroes and making us ricans look like complete mamones.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
                  Orlando Cruz
                  Damn.................

Comment

Originally posted by ELHURACAN58 View Post
                    Man I was never so high on a guy that turned out to be no one as I was with Galarza.

Im still asking what happened, so if what you heard of him is true then it would explain everything. The guy that beat him Solomon is undefeated even though he got dropped twice and almost lost to the Estrella Dulorme whooped a fight before.

I hope Gonzalez doesnt waste his career.

And lol at people proclaiming Velez a good boxer after the Sanchez fight. I didnt see the Beranza fight, but I def. saw the Valcarcel fight and was disappointed.

I used to train in the same gym as Kenny back like 10-15 years ago. He was always in the gym. a Gym rat. I love his style. My cousin a few yrs back told me that after being pro and having such a beautiful record, chose to delay his training and wait until final weeks to hit the gym hard. I think one of his main trainers chose to not train him because of it. I think it all makes sense as to why his most recent fights he was coming in at welterweight when he looked really good at 140. Either he thought this was easy or just began losing desire. I've always followed him and was actually there for the Solomon fight.

Also, I agree on Velez. I dont recall what fight it was but Velez was getting tagged quite often recently.

Comment

Are Ricans rejecting Danny or are people trying to TAKE Danny away from Ricans? I am confused!

And if your watching boxing just to root for your own...your not a boxing fan! Sure I would love to see my Cuban Fighters do well but I am a fan of the sport, I was a fan of the sport before these Recent Cuban fighters started Defecting

I hope you guys don't BET MONEY ON FIGHTS, most of you would be broke just placing BETS based on PRIDE
                      Last edited by KnockUTheFukOut; 12-03-2012, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X