Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's next for the Puerto Rican fanbase?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
    I have to disagree with you and González. He doesnt seem dedicated. And as far as counting people out after 1 loss I agree but you know nowadays people lose their hype after losing that 0. Another thing is, some guys don't have the mental toughness to come back especially after a KO loss.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
    well it all depends on what you are looking for from PR boxing. I'm looking for quality potential title holders which Juanma/Vazuez jr can still probably do and be. I dont let the hype change my opinion on things. Im not looking for someone to be top 5 P4P as I know alot of the casual PR fanbase keep on looking for which leads to the hype most of these fighters get. I think eventually someone will come along and do it if not someone from the list I gave above.

As per Gonzalez, I'm reffering to Jonathan "Bomba" Gonzalez who loves to workout and train and who will honor Camacho Sr in his next fight with a costume from one of his fights. Not Jonathan "Mantequilla" Gonzalez who I agree with you doesnt seem as dedicated in this sport.

Comment

Originally posted by onechance87 View Post
      dulorme has a glass jaw with a shty defence.Del valle lost to a past
      prime vic,Thats not good.Velazquez in lala land.Never been impressed
      with pedraza.

Again, I'm only talking world title holders and not 2-3 division champs or Pound for pound fighters.
      Velazquez fought 2 weeks ago in Puerto Rico. Dulorme just has to make adjustments and Vic Darchynyan (altough past his prime), still has a tough style to fight against.

Comment

Originally posted by boricuajr23 View Post
        well it all depends on what you are looking for from PR boxing. I'm looking for quality potential title holders which Juanma/Vazuez jr can still probably do and be. I dont let the hype change my opinion on things. Im not looking for someone to be top 5 P4P as I know alot of the casual PR fanbase keep on looking for which leads to the hype most of these fighters get. I think eventually someone will come along and do it if not someone from the list I gave above.

As per Gonzalez, I'm reffering to Jonathan "Bomba" Gonzalez who loves to workout and train and who will honor Camacho Sr in his next fight with a costume from one of his fights. Not Jonathan "Mantequilla" Gonzalez who I agree with you doesnt seem as dedicated inthis sport.
        You know, that guy has talent. Fans criticize the work ethic, which is questionable, but I think that the fight against Dzinziruk should have been a win. Old or not, Dzinziruk is still a high level boxer and González outboxed him many times during the fight. If this guy gets motivated there is potential.

Comment

Originally posted by boricuajr23
          Quote:

Originally Posted by jsfd26

I have to disagree with you and González. He doesnt seem dedicated. And as far as counting people out after 1 loss I agree but you know nowadays people lose their hype after losing that 0. Another thing is, some guys don't have the mental toughness to come back especially after a KO loss.

As per Gonzalez, I'm reffering to Jonathan "Bomba" Gonzalez who loves to workout and train and who will honor Camacho Sr in his next fight with a costume from one of his fights. Not Jonathan "Mantequilla" Gonzalez who I agree with you doesnt seem as dedicated in this sport.
          I wasnt really referring to like P4P material or PPV specifically but someone like Juanma would do.

Oh my bad, I thought you were referring to Gonzalez the one who fought Dzin not too long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post

Bomba Gonzalez and Manteca Gonzalez are two different Jonathan. One seems more dedicated than the bum that didnt make weight in his last fight.

Addressing comments in the thread, Garcia is not rican. Deal with it. He dont know sht about PR. His parents being from here dont make him rican. I dont consider my nephew and nieces ricans and they embrace more the island than him, they dont know our culture.

TS, they are plenty of boxing fans in PR. We follow the sport not only the guys that share our culture and nationality. The people that follow the champs and are casual fans will find their hero and will jump bandwagons, but they dont care for the sport. That is how it is.

You see, this weekend my sisters order the damn fight (I am mad cause I have to pay), and they enjoy the whole card because they saw ricans winning and KO'ing guys easy. They dont understand the sport but they turn fans of those guys. The same way hype was created for Juanma, we will see it for Velez (not impress with him) and Jorge Melendez, Bomba and Pedraza and plenty other. We ricans love to get together to watch fights, and most dont mourn losing fights. We get upset but people here move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Exciterx24 View Post
              You know, that guy has talent. Fans criticize the work ethic, which is questionable, but I think that the fight against Dzinziruk should have been a win. Old or not, Dzinziruk is still a high level boxer and González outboxed him many times during the fight. If this guy gets motivated there is potential.
              I've always thought he had talent but I dont think he is putting the work in the gym and that can come back and bite him. I was high on him earlier in his career and still feel can box but I just feel like something is missing. I hear Kenny Galarza was the same way, Never cared about dropping the weight until the final couple of weeks and would drain himself. Not only is that bad for a fighter but that just shows they arent taking this as serious.

Comment

There are as many Puerto Ricans in the diaspora than there are on the island. Also, consider the fact that PRs are considered "Americans" to some extent.

That said, I think Danny Garcia is a legitimate PR champion at this point. I think his trajectory resonates with many Ricans. Honestly, I didn't know much about him prior to Morales I, but I'm a fan now.

Velez looked really good last Saturday. He takes on Ponce de Leon next-looking forward to that fight.

Hopefully Dulorme and DelValle can bounce back strong next year.

I read that Velazquez was back on the scene, he was a promising prospect...

Comment

they have that nice up and comer jayson velez...also vazquez jr is still in the picture as well along with danny garcia.

Comment

Originally posted by boricuajr23 View Post
                    I've always thought he had talent but I dont think he is putting the work in the gym and that can come back and bite him. I was high on him earlier in his career and still feel can box but I just feel like something is missing. I hear Kenny Galarza was the same way, Never cared about dropping the weight until the final couple of weeks and would drain himself. Not only is that bad for a fighter but that just shows they arent taking this as serious.
                    Man I was never so high on a guy that turned out to be no one as I was with Galarza.

Im still asking what happened, so if what you heard of him is true then it would explain everything. The guy that beat him Solomon is undefeated even though he got dropped twice and almost lost to the Estrella Dulorme whooped a fight before.

I hope Gonzalez doesnt waste his career.

And lol at people proclaiming Velez a good boxer after the Sanchez fight. I didnt see the Beranza fight, but I def. saw the Valcarcel fight and was disappointed.
                    Last edited by ELHURACAN58; 12-03-2012, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fistic
                      There are as many Puerto Ricans in the diaspora than there are on the island. Also, consider the fact that PRs are considered "Americans" to some extent.

That said, I think Danny Garcia is a legitimate PR champion at this point. I think his trajectory resonates with many Ricans. Honestly, I didn't know much about him prior to Morales I, but I'm a fan now.

Velez looked really good last Saturday. He takes on Ponce de Leon next-looking forward to that fight.

Hopefully Dulorme and DelValle can bounce back strong next year.

I read that Velazquez was back on the scene, he was a promising prospect...
                      I'm assuming you are PR? Why at this point tho? Cause he just started repping and acknowledging PR? I think the only reason you didn't know about him was cause he didn't rep PR. I could he wrong tho.

Comment

Working...
                      X