Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did 'Prime' Roy Jones Jr avoid the 6 biggest punchers of his divisions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jel View Post
    Just because Roy beat a weight drained Toney don't mean jack ****ing ****.

It literally don't mean anything when it comes to how he will do against Nunn or Dariuz or Mccellan or Benn or Eubank.

In fact Roy arguably only fought 2 of the top 10 fighters during Roy's era from 160-175.

I challenge anyone here to list the top 10 fighters from 160-175 during the 90's.
    Do it.
    You will see that Roy only fought 2. Toney and a Green Hopkins.
    with respect to the roy jones fans, he beat james toney, and bernard hopkins, respectively...no excuses...

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
      maybe early on in his career, big roy, didn't want to throw roy jr, to the wolves too early...
      Yes, I think that was it. But he slowed Roy's progress down.

Comment

Just because Roy beat a weight drained Toney don't mean jack ****ing ****.

It literally don't mean anything when it comes to how he will do against Nunn or Dariuz or Mccellan or Benn or Eubank.

In fact Roy arguably only fought 2 of the top 10 fighters during Roy's era from 160-175.

I challenge anyone here to list the top 10 fighters from 160-175 during the 90's.
        Do it.
        You will see that Roy only fought 2. Toney and a Green Hopkins.
        I've given you honest and valid reasons why certain fights didn't get made.

What would be the point in doing a top ten list of the 90's fighters from 160-175?

In the early 90's he was fighting nobodies apart from Castro. In 94 he moved to 168. So listing anyone at 160 after 93/94 would be pointless.

He only stayed at 168 for about 2 years. He couldn't even try and unify because he couldn't deal with Don King.

So again, listing anyone at 168 after 96 would be pointless.

It seems like you won't allow for any circumstances, and you have an agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
          Yes, I think that was it. But he slowed Roy's progress down.
          yes i think, roy jones jr., alluded to something to that effect, in an interview many years ago...

Comment

TS obviously is referring to boxrec before making this thread.

Anyone who actually "followed" the sport as it was happening knows that the only lucrative fight that didn't happen due to negotiations was the Dariusz fight and maybe the 2nd Hopkins fight in the early 2000's.

The other fighters listed were beat by the guys Roy actually fought or weren't relevant due to several losses making a "potential" fight not interesting at the time.
            Last edited by BoxingGenius27; 11-30-2012, 05:34 PM.

Comment

This is a honest question. I want honest non bias answers.

Why did a Prime Roy Jones Jr never fight the 6 biggest punchers of his divisions?

They weren't just big punchers. You could make a case that they were 6 of the top 8 guys around Roy's divisions during his era.

Jackson-Mccellan-Daruiz-Nunn-Benn-Eubank. From 160-175

I'm serious. Why? Ya. Nobody beats Roy . Yep Yep. He will win every round against these six inferior human beings? Right? Ok. He still didn't fight any one of the six.

Not one.

Once again:

Roy's biggest rivals during his era
              Toney
              Collins
              Nunn
              Jackson
              Mccellan
              Hopkins
              Benn
              Eubank
              Daruiz

He fought 2.
              how many of those guys fought eachother?

unless im missing something nobody on that list fought more than 3 other ppl on the list, only one more fighter than roy did. and the fighhters who did that were the brits who all fought eachother bcuz there was so much money to be made domesticly there was no way it couldnt happen.

dont get me wrong, i wish roy would have fought more of them too. but to say he ducked them is going too far considering they all struggled to fight one another with the exception of the brits. and even them tbh, they all fought eachother but they didnt come over to the states too often.

the winner of eubank-benn 2 was contractually obliged to fight nunn, a contract was already worked out but after it was declared a draw they both declined. just to make an example..

Comment

This is a honest question. I want honest non bias answers.

Why did a Prime Roy Jones Jr never fight the 6 biggest punchers of his divisions?

They weren't just big punchers. You could make a case that they were 6 of the top 8 guys around Roy's divisions during his era.

Jackson-Mccellan-Daruiz-Nunn-Benn-Eubank. From 160-175

I'm serious. Why? Ya. Nobody beats Roy . Yep Yep. He will win every round against these six inferior human beings? Right? Ok. He still didn't fight any one of the six.

Not one.

Once again:

Roy's biggest rivals during his era
                Toney
                Collins
                Nunn
                Jackson
                Mccellan
                Hopkins
                Benn
                Eubank
                Daruiz

He fought 2.
                Dariuz was the only one. The timing for the other guys wasn't there. He fought Toney and Hopkins. Nice try minimizing the Hopkins win.

Collins fought Eubank and Benn twice and then retired, we all know what happened to McClellan. Nunn was a non issue when Jones was ready to face the top fighters. Jackson was at his end

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
                  TS obviously is referring to boxrec before making this thread.

Anyone who actually "followed" the sport as it was happening knows that the only lucrative fight that didn't happen due to negotiations was the Dariusz fight and maybe the 2nd Hopkins fight in the early 2000's.

The other fighters listed were beat by the guys Roy actually fought or weren't relevant due to several losses making a "potential" fight not interesting at the time.
                  This the idiot thread starter doesn't realize 5 of the 6 guys he's cumming over were washed up when Roy could of fought them

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                    He fought Toney who was better than all these guys. Power doesn't mean **** if that's pretty much all you got.
                    Toney is better than all those guys but it was still a cherry picked fight. Toney did'nt move too much he's mostly moves at the waste and slips his head. Jones knew he could win with his footwork.

Comment

Originally posted by "Smokin Sugar" View Post
                      Toney is better than all those guys but it was still a cherry picked fight. Toney did'nt move too much he's mostly moves at the waste and slips his head. Jones knew he could win with his footwork.
                      Hahahahaha@ fighting the #1 P4P champion in the world being seen as a "cerry pick".

That's amusing.

Comment

Working...
                      X