Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did 'Prime' Roy Jones Jr avoid the 6 biggest punchers of his divisions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why did roy avoid certain fighters? it's elementary my dear watson.......H....B....O!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
      Yeah but Mclellan ended up a vegetable for the rest of his life

regardless of whatever else, Jones saw that and thought **** it, i'll stay over here and fight another postman
      It wasn't Benns punches that were the cause though....

Comment

regardless of whatever else, Jones saw that and thought **** it, i'll stay over here and fight another postman
        There was a chance for the Benn-Jones fight to happen after the Benn-Mclellan fight took place

Jones was always intimidated by Mclellan, who'd bashed Jones about pretty good in the amateurs, and had become one of the most feared punchers on the planet, due to very good speed and skills combined with absoloutley brutal AAA power

After seeing what happened to Mclellan in the Benn fight, Jones wanted none of it

That basically sums Jones up in his prime, he didn't want to get his hands dirty against these guys.

Even Jim Lampley said it in the middle of one of Jones exhibitions on HBO, "Roy donesn't take risks, that's not what he does, Roy Jones has NEVER taken risks"

and they were hyping Jones to high heaven at that point
        Shut up you Idiot!

Why are you COMPLETELY IGNORING the fact, that Don King wanted to tie Roy into a three fight contract, and Roy just wanted a one fight deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Jel View Post
          This is a honest question. I want honest non bias answers.

Why did a Prime Roy Jones Jr never fight the 6 biggest punchers of his divisions?

Jackson-Mccellan-Daruiz-Nunn-Benn-Eubank. From 160-175

I'm serious. Why? Ya. Nobody beats Roy . Yep Yep. He will win every round against these six inferior human beings? Right? Ok. He still didn't fight any one of the six.

Not one.
          Jones didn't avoid any of them.

Comment

Earl Hickey is straight lying to you guys, lmmfao!

Comment

You're not worth having private convos with.

Roy Jones is more accomplished than any boxer that you're a fan of.

Question marks on his resume?

Nigel Benn went on record to say that "Roy Jones puts the fear of god in me".

Get the fawk outta here.

Roy Jones was supposed to lose to Toney, who was the then P4P #1 because he was too small. Then when Jones went up to LHW, he was supposed to get knocked out in his very first fight.

Jones, unlike some of these posers like Pacquiao, actually fought everyone who wanted to fight at LHW despite being the smaller man! He unified the division and took out everyone who was anyone except for Michalczewski who was doing his best Bin Laden impression by hiding in a cave in Europe with his crappy asss WBO belt. But in an ironic twist a guy that Jones dominated wound up handing Darius his asss on a platter.

What you're coughing up is weak.

Take away HBO ... take away RJJ's belts ... take away promotion, which there wasn't that much of as RJJ's career was pretty much a study in marketing disaster ... and RJJ still fought the best champions and challengers available.

And!!!!

He did it without mannyweights and he did it without 24/7.

Comment

This is a honest question. I want honest non bias answers.

Why did a Prime Roy Jones Jr never fight the 6 biggest punchers of his divisions?

Jackson-Mccellan-Daruiz-Nunn-Benn-Eubank. From 160-175

I'm serious. Why? Ya. Nobody beats Roy . Yep Yep. He will win every round against these six inferior human beings? Right? Ok. He still didn't fight any one of the six.

Not one.
                You can have an honest non bias answer.

There's lot of circumstances, and politics in boxing, that mean a lot of fights don't get made.

First off Jackson and Nunn.

In my honest opinion, Roy missed his chance to fight these guys at 160, because Roy Snr held him back. Roy wouldn't tie into a promoter, and big Roy was having him fight nobodies in Pensacola Fairgrounds. When Toney was fighting Nunn and McCallum etc, Roy was fighting guys like Lester Yardbrough.

In the documentary Beyond The Glory, Stan Levin, who was Roy's advisor back then, states that he got a Roy a title shot lined up and then he went to see big Roy. Big Roy said that he'd speak to Roy Jnr and then let him know. A little later, Big Roy told Levin that Roy Jr was interested. However, he'd not even mentioned it to Roy, and Roy didn't find out until years later.

So he was held back. Toney is only a year older than Roy, and he got the big fights, that Roy didn't get. Big Roy was overprotective, and didn't want to progress him. By the time that Roy had beaten Hopkins in 93 at 24 years of age, he was getting too big for 160. That's why he decided to move up when he did. He was weighing up to 168 for certain fights. Had he stayed at 160, the opportunity to fight Jackson would have been there. But it would have been too hard, so he moved up to 168, and ended up fighting Toney, who'd also moved up by that time.

In 1998 Nunn became mandatory to Roy, but by that time he was faded, and a fight then, wouldn't have been worth much.

Chris Eubank has stated many times that Roy was never his mandatory, and he never persued fights against the big name fighters.

Nigel Benn was despertae to fight Roy, but King wanted options on Roy, and Roy wouldn't agree. Roy wanted just a one fight deal, but King wouldn't back down. King's other fighter was Frankie Liles, and he again would have wanted options on Roy had they fought. It was just about impossible for Roy to try and unify at 168 because of this. That's why he moved up to 175.

Gerald and Roy had known each other for years, and I don't think Roy would have been too keen to face him, but if the terrible tradgedy with Benn hadn't occured, then who knows what would have happened?

Regarding DM, Roy sent his then advisor Brad Jacobs to meet with various HBO representatives, but they could never get DM's advisor/promoter Peter Kohl, to sit down and discuss terms. HBO also wanted to do a double header to promote the fight, but Kohl refused.

Roy had been scarred from the 88 Olympics, and there was no way he was going to fight in Germany in 2001. Roy said at the time, "I don't think a knockout would be enough over there!" He was the unified champ with all of the main belts, the onus was on DM to go to America. But he never went. According to Roy in a recent interview, HBO offered DM $5M and he turned it down.

Roy gets a lot of criticism for these fights not taking place, but a lot of people aren't aware of the facts.

If he was terrified of punchers, he wouldn't have gone up to heavyweight at 34.

In 2003, his then promoter Murad Muhammed got him the Ruiz fight, and then tried to get him fights with Holy, Tyson and Lewis.

If anyone is interested, there's more information on this, in an in depth interview that Murad did with F-hype.com with Percy Crawford. Just type it into google.

So yes, unfortunately Roy missed these fighters. But, he didn't duck them, and he's still got a very good resume.

Thanks, RZ.
                Last edited by robertzimmerman; 11-30-2012, 05:31 PM.

Comment

People always miss out on certain fighters. Roy missed out on ALL the fighters outside of a Green Hopkins and Toney. I give him Toney, but saying 'well because he fought TOney that= he beat everyone 'you think' is better than Toney is utterly ******ed.

The triangle theory never work in boxing. Toney had a granite chin, that was his fail safe in any h2h scenario. Roy have a weak chin, who's to say he can dance and mock Benn the same way he mocked Richard Hall?
                  Who's to say Roy can avoid the big shots from the likes of Nunn the same way he messed with Vinny?
                  Not true...the triangle theory does work but only if you're Pacquiao. A beat B, B beat C, C beat A, but they all lose to Pac .

Comment

Originally posted by 110110110 View Post
                    Because Toney absolutly destroyed prime Michael Nunn, and jones made Prime james toney look like the wassent even from the same planet.
                    > all the apponents you listed
                    By destroyed you mean stopped late when behind on the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by SPREAD View Post
                      By destroyed you mean stopped late when behind on the cards.
                      Yeah. You're winning the whole fight you're controlling, and then all of a sudden you get knocked out! Yeah, what you said, lmao!

Comment

Working...
                      X