Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Mayweather-Hatton one of the best promoted/build up/atmosphere for a fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
    didnt his dad lay carpets? id say thats skilled working class...
    From what I understand, they had their own business.

That's not exactly the same as "working class" - in the sense that you lay carpet for the boss, and get an hourly wage. . .

Same with Froch. His family had their own pub.

Small business owners/middle-class British folk.

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
      From what I understand, they had their own business.

That's not exactly the same as "working class" - in the sense that you lay carpet for the boss, and get an hourly wage. . .

Same with Froch. His family had their own pub.

Small business owners/middle-class British folk.
      Back in the day definitely, reckon its a bit more blurred now though.

Both those businesses are small time, low profit (esp running a pub, with alcohol taxes and breweries running you into the ground). Their culture and lifestyle would have been working class, even if they dont fit under the strict definition of it.

Comment

everybody was talking about it, even non fans

Comment

Yep defo, hatton-mayweather was the fight that got me interested in boxing after tyson retired

Comment

I was broke at the time but i still managed to hang out with a few brits on the strip pre fight and it was electric they would sing every where they went,not to mention after a few beers they had me singing i just wish a fighter like froch could pull the same support the man deserves it.

Comment

It certainly was in the UK. Probably the most hyped fight I've witnessed in the UK and that includes McGuigan's fights, Eubank-Benn, Lewis-Tyson etc.

Hatton and has fanbase definitely had a large part to do with it but of course it wasn't 100% them. Mayweather being the annoying, ****y Villian ignited the flame to a whole other level.

The fan friendly, respectful, brawling hero Vs. the flashy, arrogant, skillful boxer who's P4P #1.

Match made in heaven there, from a promotional standpoint.

There's a reason the Hatton fanbase came out in full force like never before and never again for this fight.

Comment

Yes. Did you see the weigh in? Goosebumps.

Comment

Didnt it only do 800k buys here ?

Anyone wonder how much it did in the UK.. anyone know ?

But ill admit Hatton brings great fanfare. Its incredible . Khan was on his way there but he got exposed too many times to keep them .

Comment

Originally posted by Mojita View Post
                    Didnt it only do 800k buys here ?

Anyone wonder how much it did in the UK.. anyone know ?

But ill admit Hatton brings great fanfare. Its incredible . Khan was on his way there but he got exposed too many times to keep them .
                    Think it did just under 1 million in the U.S. Don't quote me though.

And I think it did over a million here.

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
                      This . .

Hatton was definitely the A-side. All the celebrities were wanting to meet him and ****. .

That's one of hte onyl fights where I love watching the atmosphere 5-10 minutes before the fight. . All the English fans chanting. .

ALthough it was disrespectful for them to boo our anthem. . . But whatever, made the atmosphere even more tense.

Great event. . . Haven't had one like that since IMO. . .
                      What celebrities? Ya Denzel Washington, Wesley Snipes, and Judge Mathis were all there to meet Hatton LMAO. To bad they all cheered for Floyd. Its amazing I saw none of those celebs in the crowd last week.

Comment

Working...
                      X