No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. has 'interest' in Robert Guerrero as next foe

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
    Hey,to each it's own bro..I can get with BO when he say's let Martinez prove it..But imo Martinez earned the right to say I'm good let's get it on at 154lb,if he says he can make it..I'd take his word for it..Same with Dawson..Dawson said he could make weight said he felt comfortable,he looked great..But soon as he got his azz beat everyone jumps to the weight..I think Ward just is the better fighter who got in Dawson azz...These guy's are professionals,if they put their name on the dotted line I expect them to come threw...

As for Bradley and R.G. being on the same level..I would have to disagree...Bradley has a victory over Pac and is a multi time unified Champ bro...When has R.G. ever done this(I really don't remember if R.G. ever unified),I think a fight with Robert and Bradley is a good fight...I would give it a 60/40 kinda fight in Bradley's favor...But as far as accomplishments,Bradley is further along at this point...Which is why he is on the P4P list and R.G. is not even close at this point...
    I said that was a risk for Dawson also, and he said exactly the same stuff it is nbd I can do it easy. The difference is Dawson is a decade younger and that means a lot so thinking maybe he can pull it off is a bit more reasonable. 38 year old fighters that have a good amount of mileage that rely on reflexes and athleticism have a very poor track record going down in weight, so favoring that he will decline is to me just being honest with his chances not to mention he is coming off a fairly serious injury. If he proves me wrong and he can fight at 154 I will change my mind on that but as time passes it becomes less and less likely.

I don't expect anything out of boxers or boxing, boxing is the theater of the unexpected for a reason.

I don't think he beat Manny first of all but that is neither here nor there with my point.

I think Guerrero would provide the same sort of test to Floyd (a bit different but the level of difficulty would be similar) and if Guerrero and Bradley fought it would be 50/50. If you want to call it 60/40 fine but either way that puts them in essentially the same class. When just talking about the fight in the ring, there isn't much in it if you want to say Bradley is a bit tougher challenge alright but it is not like there is a steep decline from Bradley to Guerrero.
    Last edited by The Gambler1981; 11-27-2012, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JRB123 View Post
      If Floyd does fight twice next year, then Canelo or Martinez should be on that list...Guerrero should not be on PPV if that does happen...Could get more interest from fans if it was on WCB...

SN: Bradley-Guerrero sounds like a good matchup, but that whole Top Rank-GBP thing...yeah that ain't happenin
      To be honest, like I said in this thread, at this point in time I'd prefer Guerrero over Alvarez. I just feel he's earned it more.

After that, only fight's I want are Martinez or Pacquaio.

And Mayweather-Guerrero would definitely be on PPV. All Mayweather's fights will be.

If not, I'd also like to see Guererro-Bradley.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
        Rome, Lara called him out, Martinez should have fought him. Martinez doesn't help his situation, on top of that he could very easily have fought better opponents at 154, better than Murray I'm sure.
        Hold on,Martinez has a better resume at 154lb then any fighter fighting there right now..Not to mention the best overall resume of any fighter fighting there period(unless Floyd stays at 154lb)...Would I have loved to see Martinez and Lara mix it up??Sure...But let's real,Lara did nothing to get a shot at Martinez..He also brings nothing to the table..So I have to disagree that Martinez should have fought Lara..Unless it was before he was beating guys like Cintron Pwill...But right after that moment Martinez step his game way up,and let's be real,Lara is yet to show himself as an elite fighter..

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          To be honest, like I said in this thread, at this point in time I'd prefer Guerrero over Alvarez. I just feel he's earned it more.

After that, only fight's I want are Martinez or Pacquaio.

And Mayweather-Guerrero would definitely be on PPV. All Mayweather's fights will be.

If not, I'd also like to see Guererro-Bradley.
          Well from what you offered, Floyd could only face Guerrero, Alvarez, and Martinez (at 154). Pac and Bradley are out unless they're free agents.

I see that point of Floyd only fighting PPV fights, but who would buy that match-up? Unless there is a good undercard with that, the buyrate wouldn't be that good...I wouldn't be shocked if it did lower than Pac-Bradley...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
            I said that was a risk for Dawson also, and he said exactly the same stuff it is nbd I can do it easy. The difference is Dawson is a decade younger and that means a lot so thinking maybe he can pull it off is a bit more reasonable. 38 year old fighters that have a good amount of mileage that rely on reflexes and athleticism have a very poor track record going down in weight, so favoring that he will decline is to me just being honest with his chances not to mention he is coming off a fairly serious injury. If he proves me wrong and he can fight at 154 I will change my mind on that but as time passes it becomes less and less likely.

I don't expect anything out of boxers or boxing, boxing is the theater of the unexpected for a reason.

I don't think he beat Manny first of all but that is neither here nor there with my point.

I think Guerrero would provide the same sort of test to Floyd (a bit different but the level of difficulty would be similar) and if Guerrero and Bradley fought it would be 50/50. If you want to call it 60/40 fine but either way that puts them in essentially the same class. When just talking about the fight in the ring, there isn't much in it if you want to say Bradley is a bit tougher challenge alright but it is not like there is a steep decline from Bradley to Guerrero.
            I don't agree with everything(esp your thoughts on Bradley vs Robert)but hey to each it's own...

Even at 38 I would take Martinez word,and expect far more from Martinez overall then Dawson....

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
              Well, he also talks a lot about Cotto and Alvarez. So the three fighters he wants to fight are one division below him, a weight class he claims he can make and be effective still, yet he never moves down and proves it? If he wants to fight these guys, staying at middleweight and doing nothing doesn't exactly prove he's serious about anything other than getting a check against these guys. Again, he talks a lot about wanting to move down yet he never actually does it.

I'd love to see Mayweather-Martinez. But with every fight where Martinez does nothing to pressure Mayweather into it, I question him more.
              With Cotto, he's probably more likely to get the fight if he keeps his lineal belt. Cotto wants that 4th divisional belt, maybe at a 156 catchweight.

With Canelo, it's hard to see him getting the fight either way unless he loses 20lbs. And he'll probably need to move up when the training wheels come off anyway.

Fighting the likes of Lara or Rosado wouldnt get him any closer to those 3 guys, he would just be giving up his negotiating leverage in his belt.

Comment

• Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
                Andre Berto, the stepping stone to Floyd Mayweather
                Yeah, who would have predicted that ....

Berto went from rising star to stepping stone almost overnight.

Comment

• Originally posted by arraamis View Post
                  Yeah, who would have predicted that ....

Berto went from rising star to stepping stone almost overnight.
                  Things happen quick in boxing~ things always changing is one of the aspects I really like about the sport.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                    Things happen quick in boxing~ things always changing is one of the aspects I really like about the sport.
                    But was Berto really a surprise??He was never that good and never work on any fundamentals of his game..I mean the guy is super talented,but not one thing fundamentally did he ever work on...I knew Ortiz would beat him and I knew Guerrero would beat him..Guerrero is a smart fighter,and Ortiz has power(Berto's chin is another one of his biggest weaknesses)...I have to say Alexander and Maidana have work on parts of their game more so then Berto(which speaks in volumes)...But I'll give Berto credit,he makes for good fights...Very similar to Khan(although Khan is way better overall skill wise)in that regard...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
                      But was Berto really a surprise??He was never that good and never work on any fundamentals of his game..I mean the guy is super talented,but not one thing fundamentally did he ever work on...I knew Ortiz would beat him and I knew Guerrero would beat him..Guerrero is a smart fighter,and Ortiz has power(Berto's chin is another one of his biggest weaknesses)...I have to say Alexander and Maidana have work on parts of their game more so then Berto(which speaks in volumes)...But I'll give Berto credit,he makes for good fights...Very similar to Khan(although Khan is way better overall skill wise)in that regard...
                      That is why he didn't have staying power and didn't really meet expectations although his career still went alright all things considered plus both his loses were exciting fights a guy just good enough to lose in exciting fashion is always a useful guy in the sport.

You can never really expect a guy to change until he loses, and then some guys get better and others guys don't you can never really tell. Now it is all clear after his second loss, although he did appear to try the shoulder roll so he kind of worked on something it just kind of went out the window early and didn't pan out at all.

Speed and power are great things to have but they aren't everything, Berto is a prime example of that

Comment

Working...
                      X