Revisiting Rios vs Abril

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
    I agree the fight stunk.
    But good thread in that you did raise some legitimate points. . I definitely would not call that a "schooling." I just saw it as Abril doing what he had to do to win the fight. . . He simply played spoiler, if you will. It's not so much what he did, but rather what he prevented (or really what Rios simply failed to do).

Indeed - Rios was also clearly weight-drained as ****; that term gets tossed around loosely, but Rios was truly weight-drained.

Just a horrible, dreadful fight, though. One I prefer to forget even happened. . .

The guy (Abril) is a good little boxer, and fair play to him for beating Rios. . But definitely not a "schooling." When I think of schooling, I think of Froch/Abraham, Mayweather/Castillo, etc. This was more like how Hopkins beat Jones in their epic rematch. . .

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
      But good thread in that you did raise some legitimate points. . I definitely would not call that a "schooling." I just saw it as Abril doing what he had to do to win the fight. . . He simply played spoiler, if you will. It's not so much what he did, but rather what he prevented (or really what Rios simply failed to do).

Indeed - Rios was also clearly weight-drained as ****; that term gets tossed around loosely, but Rios was truly weight-drained.

Just a horrible, dreadful fight, though. One I prefer to forget even happened. . .

The guy (Abril) is a good little boxer, and fair play to him for beating Rios. . But definitely not a "schooling." When I think of schooling, I think of Froch/Abraham, Mayweather/Castillo, etc. This was more like how Hopkins beat Jones in their epic rematch. . .
      Really? So that's how you define schooling. Frch-Abraham? Mayweathe-Castillo?
      I understand you wanting to compare it to a sh$t fight in Hop,Jones 2 but it was not.
      Abril beat the pulp out of Rios like it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by damit305 View Post
        I understand you wanting to compare it to a sh$t fight in Hop,Jones 2 but it was not.
        To a pulp? C'mon, man...

Comment

Originally posted by $mannyFresh View Post
          To a pulp? C'mon, man...
          Not a bloody pulp if it makes you feel better.

Abril completely manipulated Rios in a one sided mismatch.

Comment

Originally posted by damit305 View Post
            SOrry, mistake. Didn't mean Castillo, I meant Corrales. That was simply a typo/mistake on my part from being so tired. . . Lol, I'm actually in the school of thought that Castillo beat Floyd the first time. . . But Mayweather/Corrales is a "schooling." And yes, Froch/Abraham is also a schooling. . More recent examples: Hopkins/Pavlik, Vitali Klitschko/Cristobal Arreola, Pacquiao/Margarito (THAT was getting beat to a pulp, mate - over 12 roudns without getting KO'd). . .

The styles of the boxers, and the fight (Abril/Rios) were not similar to Hopkins/Jones, but the way in which both Hopkins, and Abril won was similar - they simply did the absolute minimum they had to do to edge out rounds. . And did their very best to make the fights horrible to watch. . . Sorry, don't call that a schooling. .

"Beat the pulp out of Rios"? LOL. . . Damn, son. . Damn, damn, damn . .

No arguments from me that Abril won by a wide margin, though. I think I had it 10 rounds to 2 (118-110), or maybe 9-3 (117-111) if I tried hard enough.
            Last edited by UglyPug; 11-23-2012, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Not a mismatch, either.

Neither fighter landed many punches, Brandon pressed the action.

Abril tried to clinch his way to a decision but you don't score points by holding. He went intervals longer than half a round without throwing a single punch, and as soon as he did, the commentators made it sound like he was peppering Rios.

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
                SOrry, mistake. Didn't mean Castillo, I meant Corrales. That was simply a typo/mistake on my part from being so tired. . . Lol, I'm actually in the school of thought that Castillo beat Floyd the first time. . . But Mayweather/Corrales is a "schooling." And yes, Froch/Abraham is also a schooling. . More recent examples: Hopkins/Pavlik, Vitali Klitschko/Cristobal Arreola, Pacquiao/Margarito (THAT was getting beat to a pulp, mate - over 12 roudns without getting KO'd). . .

The styles of the boxers, and the fight (Abril/Rios) were not similar to Hopkins/Jones, but the way in which both Hopkins, and Abril won was similar - they simply did the absolute minimum they had to do to edge out rounds. . And did their very best to make the fights horrible to watch. . . Sorry, don't call that a schooling. .

"Beat the pulp out of Rios"? LOL. . . Damn, son. . Damn, damn, damn . .

No arguments from me that Abril won by a wide margin, though. I think I had it 10 rounds to 2 (118-110), or maybe 9-3 (117-111) if I tried hard enough.
                It'sok.

Had the same score card...

Comment

Originally posted by $mannyFresh View Post
                  Not a mismatch, either.

Neither fighter landed many punches, Brandon pressed the action.

Abril tried to clinch his way to a decision but you don't score points by holding. He went intervals longer than half a round without throwing a single punch, and as soon as he did, the commentators made it sound like he was peppering Rios.
                  Man!

Those commentators sure influence the decision!

Not.!

Comment

Can't stand the apologist b.s. people bring to this form. Your guy got clowned, he's not prefect, suck it up and get over it. Such an immature trait not being able to come to terms with stuff like that.

Comment

We're really getting caught up in semantics here.

Richie didn't exactly beat Brandon up, in my opinion, but Abril was able to do whatever he wanted without challenge in the fight. Abril appeared in complete control during the bout, while Rios was at a loss. "Bam Bam" threw nothing but ineffective punches and failed to make any adjustments whatsoever. Richard absolutely frustrated any attempts by Rios to score, while scoring enough of his own punches to win. He executed his game-plan perfectly and, despite what the "judges" saw, Richie won virtually every round clearly. While not pretty, the end effect was like watching a highly experienced boxer demonstrate how to handle a tough but untrained brawler. That, my friends, is a "schooling".

Comment

Working...
                      X