No announcement yet.

Revisiting Rios vs Abril

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
    That's different. I agree he can be outboxed but I just don't think the Abril fight proved this or at least its greatly exaggerated.
    The Acosta fight also proved this. Acosta just had bad defense, but good boxing skills. Rios chin, power and stamina was better than Acosta's chin, power and stamina. At times Acosta rocked Rios and was outboxing him.

Put some one in there that will not only be a good boxer, but also defend themselves. Rios will look "slow, lethargic" and not "himself".

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
      I agree the fight stunk.
      for reals. Whats up with the cubans they skillfull and still stink the joint up, act like you have some balls and fight at least Gamboa comes to fight.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        The Acosta fight also proved this. Acosta just had bad defense, but good boxing skills. Rios chin, power and stamina was better than Acosta's chin, power and stamina. At times Acosta rocked Rios and was outboxing him.

Put some one in there that will not only be a good boxer, but also defend themselves. Rios will look "slow, lethargic" and not "himself".
        he will only look like that against people who will only show up to survive.

Comment

How wasn't this a schooling? I didn't give Rios a single round when I scored this fight live, it's impossible to give him anymore than three rounds. I don't think Rios has the skills to beat a skilled counter puncher, all he can do is out-muscle weaker come-forward brawlers. Maybe he'll learn how to cut the ring someday, but as of today I don't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by frosty-g View Post
            if we're judging by the standard of "merit" then ríos did even worse as far as i'm concerned - looked and was clueless, no style or grace, dumb, unimaginative, repetitive, totally ineffective, out of control etc etc etc

boxing is controlled/control of aggression
            ríos has next to no control over his aggression (or abril's) leading to an inability to do anything other than go full steam ahead on the aggression regardless of whether or not that is working.
            whether we're using a points system or otherwise - ríos didn't do **** for my money
            I have to agree. I suppose, like everyone else, I'm going by Brandon's reputation as an all-action fighter. But, truth be told, he was absolutely stunted against Abril. Rios's usual, relentless aggression was absent. Many have blamed this on "Bam Bam" being weight drained, but Richie really ought to get credit for utterly frustrating a normally hyper-aggressive fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by ElBossHogg™ View Post
              for reals. Whats up with the cubans they skillfull and still stink the joint up, act like you have some balls and fight at least Gamboa comes to fight.
              Most of the Cuban fighters you now see were extremely successful amateurs. Most of them were in the amateur system too long, IMO. (They had no choice.) While highly skilled, some of them have yet to shake the concept of winning on points. (Not so easily done when you've been fighting a certain way for many years.) Frankly, I'm not a big fan of this approach. That's one of the reasons why I'm a huge fan of Yuriorkis Gamboa and, now, Angelo Santana. They are very skilled and exciting fighters.

That's not to say that guys like Abril and Rigondeaux can't entertain, but they tend to appeal to the purists. If you've been a real boxing fan for long enough, you can appreciate boxing skill for its own sake. It's much easier to understand two brawlers pounding each other into a bloody pulp than a scientist applying his craft against a caveman. The trouble I have with Rigo, specifically, is that he's been prone to long stretches of inactivity in his fights. But when he opens up, he's a monster, and as exciting to watch as anyone.

Originally posted by ElBossHogg™ View Post
              he will only look like that against people who will only show up to survive.
              You're implying that Abril was only trying to survive? I disagree. Richie looked supremely confident in the ring that night. He had every reason to be, Rios was obviously not in his league. Abril did whatever he wanted in there. He scored when Brandon was within range, and tied up or went into his shell when Rios attempted to slug it out. Really, if I was as tough as "Bam Bam", I couldn't have done any worse. That was expert versus novice in there. Abril applied scientific boxing principles and techniques to nullify a guy with the boxing skills of a Golden Gloves entrant.

Comment

Lol at the butt hurt mexicans. Rios got schooled by the Cuban cat plain and simple. Acting like your *****s hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                  Most of the Cuban fighters you now see were extremely successful amateurs. Most of them were in the amateur system too long, IMO. (They had no choice.) While highly skilled, some of them have yet to shake the concept of winning on points. (Not so easily done when you've been fighting a certain way for many years.) Frankly, I'm not a big fan of this approach. That's one of the reasons why I'm a huge fan of Yuriorkis Gamboa and, now, Angelo Santana. They are very skilled and exciting fighters.

That's not to say that guys like Abril and Rigondeaux can't entertain, but they tend to appeal to the purists. If you've been a real boxing fan for long enough, you can appreciate boxing skill for its own sake. It's much easier to understand two brawlers pounding each other into a bloody pulp than a scientist applying his craft against a caveman. The trouble I have with Rigo, specifically, is that he's been prone to long stretches of inactivity in his fights. But when he opens up, he's a monster, and as exciting to watch as anyone.

You're implying that Abril was only trying to survive? I disagree. Richie looked supremely confident in the ring that night. He had every reason to be, Rios was obviously not in his league. Abril did whatever he wanted in there. He scored when Brandon was within range, and tied up or went into his shell when Rios attempted to slug it out. Really, if I was as tough as "Bam Bam", I couldn't have done any worse. That was expert versus novice in there. Abril applied scientific boxing principles and techniques to nullify a guy with the boxing skills of a Golden Gloves entrant.
                  Well put Cuban. bosshoog like many other forum trolls on here will simply put nationalistic pride before their love of the sport, what it comes down to imo.

Comment

Originally posted by damit305 View Post
                    Well put Cuban. bosshoog like many other forum trolls on here will simply put nationalistic pride before their love of the sport, what it comes down to imo.
                    Nothing wrong with a little nationalistic pride, I have some of my own. lol But when you let it cloud your judgement to the point where it's obvious you're merely supporting a countryman, you lose credibility real fast.

Anyone with a modicum of boxing knowledge could see that Abril made Rios look inferior that night. Practically all of us can agree that the fight wasn't too much fun to watch, but it's silly to knock Richie's strategy while overlooking the fact that he clearly won.

Comment

Rios was schooled period! He was made to look clueless and disorientated, If you can't deal with that as a fan of the sport then that's on you, Making a video where the fight has been edited to make it look like a clinchfest is reaching and doesn't make Rios look good.

Comment

Working...
                      X