Who's greater? Froch or Calzaghe?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    No, most were thinking;

"Wow, a shot to **** Roy Jones just dropped Calzaghe. I wasn't expecting that".
    That was from a forearm, it shouldn't have been counted as a knockdown.

Comment

No, most were thinking;

I was thinking "that was a forearm smash that WWE's HHH would be proud of"

Comment

Originally posted by Aztec Wanker View Post
        That's one way of putting it. Now name the fighters they beat and what stage of their careers they beat them in.
        Froch

Pascal (lost to older Hopkins)
        Taylor (got KOed twice by Pavlik, KOed since and done as a fighter)
        Dirrell (never won a title, good fighter though)
        Abraham (looked pish at 168, won title vs bum)
        Johnson (never won title at 168, shot nowadays)
        Bute (good win vs Champion)

Lost to Kessler
        Lost to Ward

Calzaghe

Eubank (great fighter, past prime)
        Reid (good fighter, close fight)
        Woodhall (ex champion, good fighter)
        Brewer (ex champion, robbed vs Ottke)
        Mitchell (ex champion, robbed vs Ottke)
        Lacy (Champion, never been the same since)
        Bika (good fighter)
        Kessler (2 title Champ in prime)
        Hopkins (Light Heavyweight Champion, went on to beat Pascal)
        Jones (great fighter past his best, arguably as good as Taylor was)

then throw in guys like Sheika who was coming off win over Glen Johnson, Veit (30-0, beat Braehmer) and one or two others. Not a great resume but better than Froch's.

Comment

I'm talking about before the replay.

Getting dropped by the forearm smash was still surprising though.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztec Wanker View Post
            The sport may work like that to casual fans that don't know s-hit about Boxing. Hardcore fans know that wins like that shouldn't be considered as top wins for a boxer's resume. I'm sorry but I'm correct here.
            In a way, you are correct. Again, I dont say that Joe is an ATG, but according to what's in writing, his resume is better than Froch's.

Frich has fresh bodies on his resume, but again, we will have to see what they become over time. RJJ had already set records and Hopkins had his MW run, so Joe beating one of them, and getting a gift win against the other, solidified his resume.

Do we all agree with it? Nope. Now, had RJJ finished Joe, would Roy be considered great again? Would people have said, "Oh I knew it all along, Joe was a bum anyway". Joe couldn't have been a bum, if Roy would've been considered great, had he finished him. You cant have it both ways.

That's like saying that Froch is great for beating a bum ass Bute. If Bute's a bum, then what does that make Froch for beating him? You can't be great by beating bums. Again, you cant have it both ways.

Comment

I like Froch more than Calzaghe but Calzaghe is greater. The only reason people will pick Froch is to hype Andre Ward to make Ward look much better than he really is. My 2c.

Comment

Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
                Calzaghe
                21 title defences
                Won all 4 titles @ 168
                2 Weight Lineal Champion
                Beat Prime Kessler

Froch
                3 title defences
                Won 2 titles @ 168
                Never Lineal Champion
                Lost to Lesser Kessler

no brainer here, people who vote for Froch have an agenda against Calzaghe
                Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
                Froch

Pascal (lost to older Hopkins)
                Taylor (got KOed twice by Pavlik, KOed since and done as a fighter)
                Dirrell (never won a title, good fighter though)
                Abraham (looked pish at 168, won title vs bum)
                Johnson (never won title at 168, shot nowadays)
                Bute (good win vs Champion)

Lost to Kessler
                Lost to Ward

Calzaghe

Eubank (great fighter, past prime)
                Reid (good fighter, close fight)
                Woodhall (ex champion, good fighter)
                Brewer (ex champion, robbed vs Ottke)
                Mitchell (ex champion, robbed vs Ottke)
                Lacy (Champion, never been the same since)
                Bika (good fighter)
                Kessler (2 title Champ in prime)
                Hopkins (Light Heavyweight Champion, went on to beat Pascal)
                Jones (great fighter past his best, arguably as good as Taylor was)

then throw in guys like Sheika who was coming off win over Glen Johnson, Veit (30-0, beat Braehmer) and one or two others. Not a great resume but better than Froch's.
                Case closed?

Oh and the Jones Calzaghe beat would probably chin Taylor nowadays

Comment

No, most were thinking;

Lol, who expected it?

Comment

Originally posted by MeanestNiceGuy View Post
                    In a way, you are correct. Again, I dont say that Joe is an ATG, but according to what's in writing, his resume is better than Froch's.

Frich has fresh bodies on his resume, but again, we will have to see what they become over time. RJJ had already set records and Hopkins had his MW run, so Joe beating one of them, and getting a gift win against the other, solidified his resume.

Do we all agree with it? Nope. Now, had RJJ finished Joe, would Roy be considered great again? Would people have said, "Oh I knew it all along, Joe was a bum anyway". Joe couldn't have been a bum, if Roy would've been considered great, had he finished him. You cant have it both ways.

That's like saying that Froch is great for beating a bum ass Bute. If Bute's a bum, then what does that make Froch for beating him? You can't be great by beating bums. Again, you cant have it both ways.
                    This doesn't make sense.

Of course if that version of Roy Jones beat Calzaghe he would be considered poor.

Anyone who loses to that version of Roy Jones is obviously not very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
                      In the Tito fight, HBO were creaming their pants, George Foreman on commentary was jumping up and down screaming "ROY'S BACK!!!!!" "ROY'S BACK!!!!!" "ROY'S BACK!!!!!" "ROY'S BACK!!!!!" "ROY'S BACK!!!!!"
                      No they werent.

Actually Jim had choice words at the end of the fight.... "Roy jones got himself... As good as he could be"

Kellerman said, Roy might look fast but...I think we might be forgetting just how fast he was in his prime..

And even if they were chanting Roy is back.... So?

All that would mean is theyre ******.

I was at that fight, took my uncle... After the fight we went out for a drink, it was his first fight and he liked roy after watching it... i explained this win will probably set up a Calzaghe fight.... He looked at me after I explained who that was and said do you think Roy can beat him?

I just said....... No lol

Comment

Working...
                      X