Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Joe Calzaghe an ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He'll go down as one of the greatest SMW's of all time, I have no doubt about that.

Still gets alot of hate from the Yanks.

Comment

HOF yes (title defenses), ATG.... (lol) no.

Comment

2x world champion, 21 defences, win over Hopkins.

That alone would be a good call for an ATG and rightly so, 'cause the opponents that come with 21 defences and 2 world championships should mean you were a deserved champion and fought the best.

Which isn't the case with Calzaghe...

Whilst his title defence is impressive, his opposition lacks severely. So much so that someone like Froch is so close to overtaking that resume in 15 fights less. This is what irks me about Calzaghe is he's better than what people think and give him credit for but credit can only really be based on what you've proven and not what you could've done.

For that reason, Calzaghe isn't an ATG. On the contrary, if you have an ATG that details 150 fighters I'm sure he'd find a place in there somewhere. But that's a little bit excessive to call 150 fighters ATGs.

Comment

Originally posted by komodo View Post
          He'll go down as one of the greatest SMW's of all time, I have no doubt about that.

Still gets alot of hate from the Yanks.
          Meh.....

This guy already has a better resume then Calzaghe.

and so does this guy....

Comment

Yes. The crap he gets on here is pretty silly, but an eleven year reign is pretty special. The guy was also dogged by chronic hand problems for almost all of that reign and also had problems with Warren as his promoter. Best SMW of all time, Ward hasnt surpassed him yet, but Ward is pretty special too and if he carries on he should do.

I look at how he would do H2H and even at this point with the current crop I wouldnt bet against him against anyone, Ward included.

Comment

Calzaghe was a fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by junior gong View Post
                Yes. The crap he gets on here is pretty silly, but an eleven year reign is pretty special. The guy was also dogged by chronic hand problems for almost all of that reign and also had problems with Warren as his promoter. Best SMW of all time, Ward hasnt surpassed him yet, but Ward is pretty special too and if he carries on he should do.

I look at how he would do H2H and even at this point with the current crop I wouldnt bet against him against anyone, Ward included.
                Not that special when out of 11 years and 21 title defenses only 2 of them were ranked in the Top 5 in your weight class.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom.
                  We all know why you hate Joe.
                  Because he shags sheep?

Comment

Yes. obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      Not that special when out of 11 years and 21 title defenses only 2 of them were ranked in the Top 5 in your weight class.
                      Well its just my opinion, and your is yours. Rankings are subjective and dont always tell the full story. Jeff Lacy was highly ranked and heavily favoured to not only win, but to win inside 3 rounds, and we all know how that went.

Comment

Working...
                      X