No announcement yet.

How many of the top 10 ATG Hw's will be favorites against Current Wladimir

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skittlez View Post

First off. The reason Lennox is a favorite or 50-50 as Simurgh said is due to a combination of factors.
    Size: 6'5-6'6 against 6'6-6'7 245 vs 245. Reach: Advantage Lewis.
    Boxing SKills: Advantage Wladimir Right Hand: Arguably Wladimir
    Inside FIghting: Advantage Lennox. Footwork: Advantage Wladimir. Combination punching: Advantage Lennox.
    Wlad doesn't have better boxing skills than Lewis. Lewis could do anything Wlad does in the ring but Wlad couldn't do everything Lewis did.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
      Wlad doesn't have better boxing skills than Lewis. Lewis could do anything Wlad does in the ring but Wlad couldn't do everything Lewis did.
      I disagree. Lennox couldn't defend as good as Wlad. Wlad is much harder to be hit. Wlad has a better foot work and he's faster. Wlad controls distance much better.

Lennox has better inside game. He use wider range of punches. He can take punches slightly better.

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
        I disagree. Lennox couldn't defend as good as Wlad. Wlad is much harder to be hit. Wlad has a better foot work and he's faster. Wlad controls distance much better.

Lennox has better inside game. He use wider range of punches. He can take punches slightly better.
        If Lewis decided to play it safe he would be just as hard to hit. Lewis took more risks and got hit more because of it. Lewis punched as fast as Wlad and had slower footwork but not by much. Go watch Lewis v Tua to see that he's pretty damn good at fighting safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
          If Lewis decided to play it safe he would be just as hard to hit. Lewis took more risks and got hit more because of it. Lewis punched as fast as Wlad and had slower footwork but not by much. Go watch Lewis v Tua to see that he's pretty damn good at fighting safe.
          Sure he is but not at same level as Wlad is.

I like both fighters but both have their advantages and it should be said.

Wlad is quicker than Lennox was no doubt about that. If you doubt re-watch any of last 5 Wlad's fights and any fight Lennox ever fought. Lennox's speed is comparable to Vitali's, but Wlad is much faster. He is almost quick as Haye who is famous by incredible speed.

If you doubt Wlad has a better foot work do the same. It is really that obvious. Wlad is very good tactical fighter who controls distance perfectly. Look at fight with Haye. Haye was missing and missing - listen to Booth giving an interview on this after the fight. This is another advantage for Wlad. I wouldn't go into who has the harder punch. Manny used to say it is Wlad, but then again Lennox does combos much better...

Wlad is different fighter than Lennox was. It is all about mentality. You can immediately say that Wlad HATES to be hit. Of course no one likes to be hit, but some fighters would take one or two to land one (like Friezer). That's why Wlad chooses to be over cautious some time. Many find it boring I don't. It's subjective. Wlad can be very aggressive if he chooses to. Fight with Wach proved that. His footwork/dance was just beautiful - I really was impressed and enjoyed watching it.

There are lot of advantages lennox had over wlad but I'll leave those for you

Boxing is all about hitting and not being hit. Wlad is doing one very very well and other incredibly well.
          Last edited by Simurgh; 11-11-2012, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Damn near all of them. Wald's style is pretty bad defensively. It's like all he does is go backwards in a straight line and it seems he still has a stamina problem. If the dude he fought yesterday had any skill he could have beaten Wald.

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
              Sure he is but not at same level as Wlad is.

I like both fighters but both have their advantages and it should be said.

Wlad is quicker than Lennox was no doubt about that. If you doubt re-watch any of last 5 Wlad's fights and any fight Lennox ever fought. Lennox's speed is comparable to Vitali's, but Wlad is much faster. He is almost quick as Haye who is famous by incredible speed.

If you doubt Wlad has a better foot work do the same. It is really that obvious. Wlad is very good tactical fighter who controls distance perfectly. Look at fight with Haye. Haye was missing and missing - listen to Booth giving an interview on this after the fight. This is another advantage for Wlad. I wouldn't go into who has the harder punch. Manny used to say it is Wlad, but then again Lennox does combos much better...

Wlad is different fighter than Lennox was. It is all about mentality. You can immediately say that Wlad HATES to be hit. Of course no one likes to be hit, but some fighters would take one or two to land one (like Friezer). That's why Wlad chooses to be over cautious some time. Many find it boring I don't. It's subjective. Wlad can be very aggressive if he chooses to. Fight with Wach proved that. His footwork/dance was just beautiful - I really was impressed and enjoyed watching it.

There are lot of advantages lennox had over wlad but I'll leave those for you

Boxing is all about hitting and not being hit. Wlad is doing one very very well and other incredibly well.
              Seriously, dude, can we stop the nut-hugging. It's cringeworthy.

I'm not sure how we can compare Lewis and Wladimir. Ostensibly, Wlad has an impenetrable defence; but, then again, the level of opposition he's faced is far worse (and this will, unfortunately, effect his placing in the ATG list).

He's an excellent boxer, don't get me wrong, and Steward did a great job moulding him, defensively; but if, say, he and Vitali ever fought, I'd put $ on that glass chin shattering once again.

They're both top 15 ATG, IMO (V&W). How the next few years play out for Wladimir, with these up-coming contenders, will determine whether he'll earn world-wide recognition as a top 10 ATG.
              Last edited by yoz; 11-11-2012, 05:39 PM.

Comment

I think Lewis is just all wrong for Wlad. Lewis-Vitali would make a great fight any day of the week, but Lewis had the skill to get to Wladimir, without lacking anything in size, reach, power, or even confidence.

Maybe Louis too.

And, somewhat on topic, both Lewis and Louis would have KO'd Wach. So would have Foreman, Ali and Marciano. To me, Wlad's best performance was still against Haye. Wlad was pretty much punch-perfect that night against a guy who just refused to get involved; Wach on the other hand was there to be hit.

Comment

Originally posted by whoelibits View Post
                  To me, Wlad's best performance was still against Haye. Wlad was pretty much punch-perfect that night against a guy who just refused to get involved; Wach on the other hand was there to be hit.
                  Good post, matey.

Comment

Anybody who weighed under 190 in their prime and fought on black and white TV. Those guys were super tough and old school. Their lack of defense and the size differential means nothing because they were just plain old tough.

Comment

Originally posted by yoz View Post
                      Seriously, dude, can we stop the nut-hugging. It's cringeworthy.

I'm not sure how we can compare Lewis and Wladimir. Ostensibly, Wlad has an impenetrable defence; but, then again, the level of opposition he's faced is far worse (and this will, unfortunately, effect his placing in the ATG list).

He's an excellent boxer, don't get me wrong, and Steward did a great job moulding him, defensively; but if, say, he and Vitali ever fought, I'd put $ on that glass chin shattering once again.

They're both top 15 ATG, IMO. How the next few years play out for Wladimir, with these up-coming contenders, will determine whether he'll earn world-wide recognition as a top 10 ATG.
                      I really don't have an urge to compare Lennox and Wlad in every topic I write. I was just replying to your comment 'lennox does everything what wlad does just better' when it's obviously not true.

I was very specific about the things Wlad does better. Regarding the opposition it's not far worse - it's just worse. But Wlad fought 20 more fights than Lennox did. That's 20 more camps, 20 more preparations, 20 more body punishments. And did you ever heard Wlad arguing he was too lazy, too unmotivated, too something when he comes to any of these fights...
                      Lennox didn't really have the defining fight either. I believe the toughest opponent he faced was Vitali. And I wasn't really impressed by the way he won that fight - by being out-throwned, wobbled and then take it to clinches and brawling where he clerly beat Vitali. Second toughest were his fights against past prime Holyfiled - he didn't completely dominated there either.

Now don't you take me wrong either. I love Lennox, and have an incredibly high opinion on him, but I also have an equally high opinion on Wlad. I would prefer only prime Ali over these two - as I would prefer Ali over any fighter that ever lived.

When it comes to ATG and other ratings everybody has its own criteria. Many would rank Tyson above Lennox - it's a very subjective thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X