No announcement yet.

Let's talk about how Donaire is P4P but Mares is not

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
    Moreno was being dirty is retaliation, but the clear, outright dirty fouls were done by Mares over the course of the whole fight a hell of a lot more than Moreno. The pushing by Moreno was always when he got hit in the nuts by a 17 punch combination and you could see him get annoyed and push Mares off.
    This. Took Moreno off his game.

Comment

Nope. Completely agree. There isn't anyone currently skilled enough, though there are many excellent fighters, to beat Donaire as it stands. There are some hard fights out there for him that could be pick em fights, especially at 126, but I don't see anyone from 122, Rigo/Mares included, that would beat him.

The one guy I think would give him the most trouble, purely because of the style match up, is the guy we just saw lose, Moreno. His one big flaw is pressure and Donaire doesn't have anywhere near the type of dog and scrappiness that Mares has and I think that would be a close, hard fight for him as it would suit Moreno's pace and style very well.
      I knew it would be a tough fight and a competitive one but I thought Moreno would win tonight. He needs to re-set and slowly but surely get back into the mix. I still think he's a handful for most between 118-122.

Donaire I think is another level to these guys. He's the only person I would have picked to beat Moreno and at 122. I don't see anyone beating him. I'd like to see him fight Mares and Rigondeaux then make his way to 126. 126 he has some tough challenges.

I'd like to see Santa Cruz and Mares fight at some point. That would be an awesome action fight.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        I knew it would be a tough fight and a competitive one but I thought Moreno would win tonight. He needs to re-set and slowly but surely get back into the mix. I still think he's a handful for most between 118-122.

Donaire I think is another level to these guys. He's the only person I would have picked to beat Moreno and at 122. I don't see anyone beating him. I'd like to see him fight Mares and Rigondeaux then make his way to 126. 126 he has some tough challenges.

I'd like to see Santa Cruz and Mares fight at some point. That would be an awesome action fight.
        Oh man....I would love to see that! Possibly more than any other fight in the sport right now. Santa Cruz, for your typical Mexican come forward guy, has a lot of class and is well schooled. He's also only 23 or 24 I think, so still very young with a long career ahead.

Yeah, I'd still certainly pick Donaire, but it's the one fight that would be tough for him I think. I really hope he/Arum makes the Mares/Rigo fights before he pisses off to another division. I don't want to see him leave a division with the chance of such good fights without even entertaining the possibility of them. What's the point otherwise?

I was surprised by Moreno tonight. In his other big fights, he's looked spectacular. Still no one else has shut out Darchinyan so completely. Despite knocking him into next week, the Donaire fight was pretty close still, but Moreno just boxed his socks off. I guess his achilles heel is just straight forward non stop pressure. Mares has that in spades when he needs to.
        Last edited by BennyST; 11-11-2012, 02:01 AM.

Comment

in mares' last 4 fights, he's shown to have a difficult time against his opponents. mares' most notable win in my opinion was the darchinyan fight which he won by split decision. comparing that to donaire's resume is like the difference between a lamborgini and a robust pick up truck. donaire trumps mares hands down

Comment

Donaire is a joke, with the cherry picked opposition he has been served with at bantham can´t even manage to pull good shows, just fail. Mares, Moreno, Agbecko, Santa Cruz... those are the real deal.

Comment

Mares proved a lot tonight, I thought Moreno was gonna do a number on him, but he remained poised and steadily pressured all fight. I had it 115-111 or 7 rounds to 5 for Mares with the two point deductions. Donaire vs Mares is THE fight at 122 now, no disrespect to Rigondeaux.

Comment

Originally posted by sdcluser View Post
                Which one? The first ball busting fight or second more clean fight. My point is that Mares DIDN'T have to do the low blows later in the fight and the ref deduction of 1pt from Mares would have been fine with me.

This is second time where refs clear seen the low blows and didn't call it.

At times, Mares looks "Duran-esque". Homeboy went all out like he had nothing to lose.
                The second Abegko fight. I meant to say he did a better job of being a clean fighter.
                Originally posted by Truck Turner View Post
                Donaire loss will come at the hands of a guy like Salido. He wont fight Mares and he wont fight Rigo.
                This right here.
                Originally posted by Cállate! View Post
                funny guy

donaire wants to fight mares and vice verse
                Umm that's a lie. He's just throwing those names out there to promote himself knowing the fight won't happen.
                Moreno was being dirty is retaliation, but the clear, outright dirty fouls were done by Mares over the course of the whole fight a hell of a lot more than Moreno. The pushing by Moreno was always when he got hit in the nuts by a 17 punch combination and you could see him get annoyed and push Mares off.

There was one period of the fight, about 30 seconds, in which Mares threw clear, very low blows over and over right in front of the ref and there wasn't even a warning. Then Moreno pulls his head down in retaliation to two more low blows in the same round, or the one after, and gets deducted for it straight away.

If you didn't see what was wrong with the ref and that fight in terms of Mares being dirty you're clearly missing a lot.

Btw, turning to the side in clinches is not illegal. Punching someone in the back while in a clinch is illegal. Yes, Moreno got spun or spun himself in a clinch but it was few and far between and it's not dirty. Punching someone in the nuts is dirty, turning in a clinch is not.
                That's another lie. Moreno was pushing off once Mares had him on the ropes pressuring cause he had no way of getting away. Think something along the lines of Khan-Peterson.
                Nope. Completely agree. There isn't anyone currently skilled enough, though there are many excellent fighters, to beat Donaire as it stands. There are some hard fights out there for him that could be pick em fights, especially at 126, but I don't see anyone from 122, Rigo/Mares included, that would beat him.

The one guy I think would give him the most trouble, purely because of the style match up, is the guy we just saw lose, Moreno. His one big flaw is pressure and Donaire doesn't have anywhere near the type of dog and scrappiness that Mares has and I think that would be a close, hard fight for him as it would suit Moreno's pace and style very well.
                Before the fight, Mares wasn't skilled enough to beat Moreno was he? According to half of the people on these forums anyway.
                Originally posted by El Angel View Post
                Mares proved a lot tonight, I thought Moreno was gonna do a number on him, but he remained poised and steadily pressured all fight. I had it 115-111 or 7 rounds to 5 for Mares with the two point deductions. Donaire vs Mares is THE fight at 122 now, no disrespect to Rigondeaux.
                This is true but we know it won't happen unless GBP somehow pushes WBC to order a purse bid and wins it. WBC would make a lot of money from that bid as well. Even tho Donaire is not ranked by the WBC he DID just beat the emeritus champion.

Comment

Mares' victory over Moreno trumps anything that Donaire has done. Nonito's best victory is over Darchy, and Mares has that win on his resume as well. Mares is also like 5 years younger, that pretty much tells you how overrated Donaire is and how underrated Mares is.

Comment

Oh man....I would love to see that! Possibly more than any other fight in the sport right now. Santa Cruz, for your typical Mexican come forward guy, has a lot of class and is well schooled. He's also only 23 or 24 I think, so still very young with a long career ahead.

Yeah, I'd still certainly pick Donaire, but it's the one fight that would be tough for him I think. I really hope he/Arum makes the Mares/Rigo fights before he pisses off to another division. I don't want to see him leave a division with the chance of such good fights without even entertaining the possibility of them. What's the point otherwise?

I was surprised by Moreno tonight. In his other big fights, he's looked spectacular. Still no one else has shut out Darchinyan so completely. Despite knocking him into next week, the Donaire fight was pretty close still, but Moreno just boxed his socks off. I guess his achilles heel is just straight forward non stop pressure. Mares has that in spades when he needs to.

mares and santa cruz would be guaranteed fireworks

body work won the fight last night.
                    moreno gets great leverage on his shots, but mares is infinitely stronger, and it broke him down and made him fight.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                      Mares' victory over Moreno trumps anything that Donaire has done. Nonito's best victory is over Darchy, and Mares has that win on his resume as well. Mares is also like 5 years younger, that pretty much tells you how overrated Donaire is and how underrated Mares is.
                      montiel was p4p (ring had him like 8-10 ) when donaire knocked him out with the hardest punch ever landed on a bantamweight. that's why he's ranked so high.

Comment

Working...
                      X