• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decorated Amateur Career? Check
    Olympic Gold Medalist? Check
    Cleaned out his own division? Check
    In the P4P Conversation? Check
    In the conversation for GOAT in his own division? Check

All that and he did it before his 30th birthday. All thats left to do is become a multi weight division champ and to win a title fight against a consensus champion outside of American Soil. It'll take time but that'll put him in the ATG conversation if/when it happens.

He's always been that good its just that people are just coming around.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
      Ward has like 10 years left, and he's already done so much

Carl froch, Arthur Abraham, chad Dawson, mikkel Kessler, I mean that's the basis of a very good resume, and he's still got time.

Forget about him ever losing, it's not going to happen, it's just how many names he can get on his resume now
      He wont have any real competition, but he will be the GOAT if he goes up to hw. I REALLY feel he would find away to outbox the Kbros. They are just not that special to me. I dont think Ward could hurt him, but I can see him beating the crap out of them on the insides without getting hit. He has the confidence to take the risk, and they are too rangy and slow. If he gets on the insides I see him just doing his normal, exciting, brawl/box thing and doing major damage.

Comment

Originally posted by DAN916 View Post
        I dont see how hes not #1 P4P as of right now? Really how can Floyd n Pac n others be above him??
        I agree, Floyd isn't active enough and Pac has fallen down the rankings imo.

Comment

Originally posted by P4P_No1 View Post
          Pretty spot on.

People will hate on him because he plays the good guy role (yet will hate on him if he were to do a Floyd).

It's just the way the some/most fans are sadly. No-one will ever truly get their props that they deserve (not in this day and age).
          Not until they leave the sport and people look back on their career and compare them to the current fighters, who like we do even now, will say wouldn't even compete with the guys back in my day etc.

Meaning when fighters are gone, people will forget the fan boy hate and really analyze what they did and how they did it and more importantly WHEN they did it.

Too many people like to base judgment on a fighter based off names. That makes about as much sense as calling Trevor Berbik and ATG because he beat Ali..

Ward is beating top rated/ranked guys and like someone else mentioned, all before he's even 30. Not to mention his background before turning pro. He has a lot of room to improve and quit a few years left to add to what he has already achieved. His style will allow him to fight well past his prime too.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
            Who does he have to beat to convince you?

For me the only thing he has left to do is win a big fight in his opponent's backyard, granted he may never do this.

Ward's not playing a role imo he's just being himself.
            I didn't mean it like he was acting. Just that he's being himself rather than someone else to make noise/more money. No matter how he acts, people will cry about it. No matter who he fights, people will cry about. It will only get worse as time goes on. Soon enough, the people we (some) credit him for now, will be ****ted on by some noob fan base that just started watching boxing. Especially if Ward blows up in the media and gets really commercialized and becomes a big PPV star. Now I’m just waiting for all the scared to talk to come around about Ward.

Comment

he's a great talent no doubt and i love the fact that he finally evolved from trying to spoil fights.

that being said, people are rushing to crown him. You have to ask this simple question before you start trying to give him the nsb "looks like he's greatest thing ever" treatment:

Has andre ward beaten a bona fide great fighter?

how great of a boxer is carl froch, mikkel kessler, and chad dawson?

This is what i hate about the internet/social media age. Everybody wants to rush to trying to label everything the greatest of all time.

Everybody wants to rush to find the next jordan.

Comment

I know he is. dude is gifted all the way around.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by junior gong View Post
                  Dont be a dick, I have already spoken highly of his attributes and what he could potentially achieve, but its early doors in his career and before I start hailing him as an all time great I want to see more good wins, longevity and hopefully some excitement along the way.

The guy has 6 title fights, 3 against not great opposition(Green,Bika,Dawson). Its not overwhelmingly impressive at this point. His potential is, but not his resume thus far.
                  Is post for ****ing real? We were just discussing how Ward vs Dawson was a SUPERFIGHT that we haven't had for a long time in boxing. Bika may not be a world beater, but he beats everyone but the top level guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
                    Is post for ****ing real? We were just discussing how Ward vs Dawson was a SUPERFIGHT that we haven't had for a long time in boxing[/B]. Bika may not be a world beater, but he beats everyone but the top level guys.
                    You have got to be kidding me!!! A superfight? Dawson has looked like crap in recent years and came down to a weight he hadnt boxed at in an eternity. Some 'SUPERFIGHT' that was.

If you think that was a superfight, I can only assume that you got interested in boxing in the last year.

Comment

While I am also big on Ward, I want to see how he handles a speedy slick fighter like Dirrell (I dont count Dawson as being in that category.) Obviously I would favor him to beat the more mentally weak fighter, but he has beat some come forward tough guys and pretty robotic movers (for the most part.) Again, I think he is top 1-3 fighter in the world, so I dont knock his talent or what he has done. But before he can be in the "great" discussion I need to see him against some different styles of fighter.

Comment

Working...
                      X