Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez.Very good fighter or GREAT fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my favourite fighters but he's not "great" yet. If only someone like Mayweather would fight him and we'd find out how great he really is.

I saw a poll in here a few weeks ago where people said he'd beat all of the likes of Benn, McClellan, Eubank, Nunn, Julian Jackson....

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
      What exactly is his body of work? Getting his ass knocked out by Margarito? A draw with Kermit Cintron? Going 1-1 with Paul Williams? Beating a Pavlik fresh out of rehab (LOL, literally, he just got out of rehab before he started training camp. . seriously. not even joking) by like 7 rounds to 5?

Let's be real, Chavez jr. is a ****ing bull, but he's been boxing for like 7 years, LESS than HALF AS LONG as Martinez has been. . And he's handmade for Sergio's style - flat footed, and comes straight forward. . LOL, and he had Sergio wobbling around looking like a ho. . LOL, splattered him across hte canvas. . There's nothing "hungry" about Chavez either. He has a horrible work ethic, and at times, doesn't seem to care at all.

Look, before Martinez fought Cintron, he was fighting guys with records of 5-36 (seriously, like 2 fights before Cintron, he fought a guy like that). . .

When your best wins are Pavlik, Williams, and Chavez Jr. that's not enough to be great. . . Oh yeah, you also drew with Cintron (yeah, Martinez won, though), and got SPLATTERED by Margarito! LOL, watch the replay, Sergio slumped over helplessly against the ropes. 'Rito would have killed him if there hadn't been a ref. . Must be helpless feeling to know a man held your life in his hands. . .
      he KO'd Cintron when he was still relevant got even robed for a KO, Beat Williams and was robbed when no one else would fight him. Has beaten five up and comming Middles with most all having no losses on there record, what other champ right now, has a combined loss record for there foes of 8 losses in his last 8 fights? NO ONE. Margarito was his 17th fight and with Margacheato with out any suspicion of tainted raps and such, who knows what he was up to. Martinez didnt get splatered, he wasnt even down, and I thought it was slightly premature stopage

Comment

I've never been all that impressed with his resume up to now

A KO victory over Williams certainly puts him in a much better place than if he just won a decision (I don't put Lara very high for that win either)

But other than that, nothing... He beat Pavlick, but I expect just about every VERY GOOD fighter Pavlick faces to beat him by the time Martinez did

VERY good fighter on the cusp of greatness... He just has to take on all comers and dominate the division for a while

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
          So, does that mean Sergio would need to compensate for the lack of elite talent and/or "names" by fighting everyone under the sun? Does he need to beat Golvokin/Geale/Quillin to be properly labeled a "Great" fighter?
          That's how I see it

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody$Nate$ View Post
            I say great. Hes very underrated mostly by mexicans butthurt their man couldnt finish him :P

Chavez i thought was underrated himself. He fought hard vs lee, rubio and zbik. He earned that shot. That was a high risk fight with little reward in respect since people underrate chavez imo with martinez at his age people are waiting to see him fall but when Chavez hurt him Sergio survived like a true champion would.

I think hes earned it where others may disagree ill give it to him. If he beats Quillin and Golovkin i don't think you can deny it. Hes not as great as Hopkins or Monzon doesn't have their incredible longevity but i think to be doing what he does at his age makes him better then very good. Hes not winning on youth and altheticism he wins on skill and will.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
            Gucci's Im up, is overrated to me. His new tape is good, but it gets weaker down the stretch. It starts off with strong upbeat trap type of beats, then midway it turns to these slow, droning, mood lowering, boring trap beats. Midway through I always feel so bored, that it manipulates me into thinking that its time for me to get up and do something constructive or something. Midway through I feel like, "Man its time for me to take a nap, beat off and go to sleep." That Trap God tape is not a 15 round fighter, it drains me dry halfway through. Yo Gotti had the best tape. His tape is VERY solid, and gets stronger down the stretch. Those last few songs really go for the KO, Oppose to jabbing and moving in the final rounds like Gucci's tape.

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
              What exactly is his body of work? Getting his ass knocked out by Margarito? A draw with Kermit Cintron? Going 1-1 with Paul Williams? Beating a Pavlik fresh out of rehab (LOL, literally, he just got out of rehab before he started training camp. . seriously. not even joking) by like 7 rounds to 5?

Let's be real, Chavez jr. is a ****ing bull, but he's been boxing for like 7 years, LESS than HALF AS LONG as Martinez has been. . And he's handmade for Sergio's style - flat footed, and comes straight forward. . LOL, and he had Sergio wobbling around looking like a ho. . LOL, splattered him across hte canvas. . There's nothing "hungry" about Chavez either. He has a horrible work ethic, and at times, doesn't seem to care at all.

Look, before Martinez fought Cintron, he was fighting guys with records of 5-36 (seriously, like 2 fights before Cintron, he fought a guy like that). . .

When your best wins are Pavlik, Williams, and Chavez Jr. that's not enough to be great. . . Oh yeah, you also drew with Cintron (yeah, Martinez won, though), and got SPLATTERED by Margarito! LOL, watch the replay, Sergio slumped over helplessly against the ropes. 'Rito would have killed him if there hadn't been a ref. . Must be helpless feeling to know a man held your life in his hands. . .
              this man speaks the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                One of my favourite fighters but he's not "great" yet. If only someone like Mayweather would fight him and we'd find out how great he really is.

I saw a poll in here a few weeks ago where people said he'd beat all of the likes of Benn, McClellan, Eubank, Nunn, Julian Jackson....
                I remember that poll. Young kids or people who simply don't know these guys. I had Martinez losing to just about everyone in that poll. And it's not because of Martinez isn't good (he's a VERY good fighter) but we should also realize his era is fairly week compared to those guys (pavlik is his best win, then who is it? Macklin? Chavez? all of those guys in the poll would have destroyed these chumps). Could you imagine McClellan vs Macklin? Benn vs Chavez? Jackson vs Darren Barker? lol
                Last edited by ИATAS; 10-27-2012, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Very good, definitely not great.

Comment

His skills and abilities are great, no question in my mind. So unique, not many fighters can't fight the way he does and be as great as he is.

Comment

the wins over williams and pavlik are great wins. he has a win over cintron that was somehow overrruled and changed to a draw and the loss to margacheato has some seriod question marks over it.

sergio is a great fighter. period.

Comment

Working...
                      X