Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez.Very good fighter or GREAT fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
    I wouldn't call MW a "weak" division, more like "unproven" or "untested". MW clearly has some depth in terms of the varying styles and skill levels.

when you're talking about a HOF / great resume, the division lacks the names needed to get on that level.

ray leonard had the opportunity to fight HOF at WW and MW, for instance:
    duran
    hagler
    benitez
    and hearns

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      when you're talking about a HOF / great resume, the division lacks the names needed to get on that level.

ray leonard had the opportunity to fight HOF at WW and MW, for instance:
      duran
      hagler
      benitez
      and hearns
      So, does that mean Sergio would need to compensate for the lack of elite talent and/or "names" by fighting everyone under the sun? Does he need to beat Golvokin/Geale/Quillin to be properly labeled a "Great" fighter?

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
        So, does that mean Sergio would need to compensate for the lack of elite talent and/or "names" by fighting everyone under the sun? Does he need to beat Golvokin/Geale/Quillin to be properly labeled a "Great" fighter?

he'd have his first "great" win (he's got some very good ones already,) if he jumped to 168 and beat andre ward.

that's a great win on anybody's MW resume. ward already has one of the best resume at 168 that anybody has produced. he's is a prime fighter who just might be p4p right now, and he's much bigger. great win, if martinez can get it.

wins over golovkin and quillin would be legit wins (again, good / very good, but not great,) and danny geale is a joke, and would literally mean nothing.

now, if he stops golovkin and quillin, and they go on to have terrific careers, it will mean much more for martinez resume if he beats them. if he beats them and they never win another fight it will mean much less.

Comment

After Pavlik and Williams, I thought great. But after he struggled with untested Europeans, Barker and Macklin, and was dropped and almost stopped by one of the most overrated and basic middleweights in today's game, I now think he is a very good, aging fighter in a division with a lot of talent that doesn't want to face each other.

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
            And oh yeah, we'll NEVER see Golovkin/Martinez. . Guess why? It's not Golovkin. .

The so called "people's champ" only wants to fight young, inexperienced guys like Chavez, or Canelo. . Or older, damaged boxers smaller htan him like Cotto. . Or TINY ass Floyd.
            Oh look guys.

A Moron.

Who the **** is Gennady? You talking as if he's some super pro with 60 fights and multiple belts. Golevkin's best win to date is a Kerry Hope victim. That's right. His best win is a KERRY HOPE VICTIM. Who's kerry Hope, look it up ******.

Comment

Gennady looks like he got great talent and potential. He also looks very exciting and fan friendly.

Guess who else looked like they got great talent and power and was fan friendly?

Hmm.... Let me think.

Jeff Lacy
              Lucian Bute
              hmmmm.. what do those guys all had in common. The moment they stepped up to B Level + competition they got brutally merced to death.

So let's just wait it out on Gennady ya? Because if he gets 'froched' by someone like Quillien, I know most of you nut huggers will just say he was no big deal in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Felixtito View Post
                If you were to describe Sergio Martinez.

Very good fighter or Great fighter?
                very good

I haven't seen his skills tried against a HOF caliber opponent yet. He doesn't always have the answers against sub-par opposition

Comment

Originally posted by Red Power View Post
                  After Pavlik and Williams, I thought great. But after he struggled with untested Europeans, Barker and Macklin, and was dropped and almost stopped by one of the most overrated and basic middleweights in today's game, I now think he is a very good, aging fighter in a division with a lot of talent that doesn't want to face each other.
                  This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

he wouldn't look so amazing if he had better opponents

Comment

Very good.

A little early to start throwing out great, eh?

Comment

Working...
                      X