Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Emanuel Steward 1944-2012: A Legend Passes Away

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Emanuel. The sport we love gonna miss you. Thank you for the great contribution to the sport of boxing.

Comment

• R.I.P.

I will never forget Emanuel Steward, he will have a place in my heart. Best boxing trainer ever.

Comment

• R.I.P. Emanuel Steward ATG trainer and one of the few HBO boxing analysts that actually knew what they were talking about he will be missed

Comment

• RIP Emanual Steward.

Not only an ATG trainer, but probably the best analyst HBO ever had.

Comment

• RIP Great trainer and a wanderful man. We where privileged to witness your finess.

Comment

• Rest In Peace Emanuel Steward

Comment

• Looks like the Kronk gym will be closed from now on.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012102...ws|text|Sports

Workers cleaning out Emanuel Steward's Kronk Gym

By Mike Brudenell
                Detroit Free Press Sports Writer

Signage and memorabilia at the Kronk Gym on West Warren in Detroit were being removed today, just 24 hours after the death of its guiding light, Emanuel Steward, the world-renowned boxing trainer.

Workers were called at the request of Steward’s sister, family spokesperson Diane Steward-Jones, to take down the red and gold Kronk Gym sign hanging outside the building located at 19239 W. Warren, a few blocks from Southfield Road.

Steward-Jones said she was dismantling the contents of the gym, including the boxing ring and historic fight photos and posters hanging on the walls, “to safeguard the legacy” of her late brother, who died in a Chicago-area hospital Thursday after battling illness the past several months.

“There are people in the gym, scavengers, who would try and take everything out of my brother’s gym,” said Steward-Jones, who returned earlier today from Chicago and oversaw part of the removal. “I’ve alerted the police. People are not going to rape and ravage that place. There will be nothing left. The ring is even being removed.”

Steward-Jones said she would consider locking up the gym up, which would mean dozens of fighters who train there now having to find a new location to work out.

“They’ll have to find somewhere else to go for a week, I don’t know,” said Steward-Jones, who handled much of her brother’s business and public relations matters. “I’ve still got my ass-kicking boots on. Emanuel was counting on me to protect his stuff from less than honest people and I’m going to do it.”

Steward-Jones said she recalled Emanuel Steward’s restaurant downtown being broken into after closing years ago.

“They broke in and took out sides of beef, vegetables and fruit,” she said. “That’s not going to happen here.” The Kronk Gym on West Warren was established soon after the original Kronk on McGraw in Detroit closed its doors to fighters in 2006, the result of massive budget cutbacks by the city.

It has operated since then, on a month to month basis, on the generosity of private donors and the pocketbook of Steward, recognized as the Godfather of Detroit boxing.

With his passing, the future of the Kronk Gym and Kronk Boxing team is uncertain.

Comment

• Still can't believe this..I will miss you Manny..RIP may they angels meet ya with open arms big brother...

Comment

• I'm still deeply saddened. Out of all the deaths this year this one has affected me the most.

Comment

• gone too soon cant believe it

Comment

Working...
                      X