Brook is the most hyped Boxer to come out of Britain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
    Ring Magazine #3 Boxrec #6

Look at this way - Most of that top 10 have only had 1 fight at welterweight.

Chris van Heerden has done far less than Brook and look at his ratings, hell his next fights against a Kell Brook victim.
    Doesn't change my mind, he's not top 5 at 147. He is a top ten fighter after today, but not top 5, not close.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
      just cause they show his fights means they have to lie? they have no integrity.
      One of the pundits is Johnny Nelson who comes from the same gym and Froch who is in the same stable. The main presenter guy doesn't have a fuking clue about boxing. And I think the other one was Glen McRory who had Oscar in his P4P list after the Steve Forbes fight

They either understandably biased or they don't know **** about boxing.

What is Max Kellerman's excuse?

Comment

Originally posted by turkas View Post
        I agree, the trash is just as out of hand as the hype. But come on man, even the British broadcast was hyping him beyond belief, every question has been answered and then some? I don't think so, we just need to take a step back and see how he does in his next fight.

Personally I don't think it will be a title fight unless tonight's winner vacates.
        I do expect that stuff from the commentators in fairness. We have very few real top quality fighters, Sky Sports have two, so they get behind the one's they have...those being Froch and Brook.

They don't help in terms of putting pressure on the guys, but if they perform well then I'm alright with the praise. I expect his next fight to be Alexander, and I expect it to be a damn good fight.

Comment

Brook is pretty average but with good power. The welterweight division as a whole is very weak nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
            One of the pundits is Johnny Nelson who comes from the same gym and Froch who is in the same stable. The main presenter guy doesn't have a fuking clue about boxing. And I think the other one was Glen McRory who had Oscar in his P4P list after the Steve Forbes fight

They either understandably biased or they don't know **** about boxing.

What is Max Kellerman's excuse?
            The difference between the hype that comes out of HBO and ShowTime is it's not regional based, meaning they don't just over hype Americans, they over hype fighters all around the world.

However, more often then not British broadcasting just over hypes their own. It's not a bad thing, it just speak about how your society works.

The same goes for when Sky and Box Nation open root for and cheer for British boxers when they are covering fights. HBO and Showtime might be biased towards certain fighters, but they don't open cheer and root for them during their broadcasts.

Comment

Doesn't change my mind, he's not top 5 at 147. He is a top ten fighter after today, but not top 5, not close.

And what 5 are ahead of him?

Manny is a given.
              Floyds at 154 is he not?
              Suppose you can have Bradley though he got a gift.
              Guerrero - Though only one fight at welter against Aydin.
              Alexander - Only 1 fight at 147 against Maidana.
              Paulie Malignaggi - Handful of fights against mainly top 20 guys, not beat a top 10.
              Maidana - Two fights, one a loss to Alexander and a win over Soto Karass
              Mike Jones - Not fought anybody except Bailey where he got brutally knocked out.
              Ortiz is out of the arguement, noway even a top 10.

Comment

Haters gonna hate, we get answers in his next fight.

Comment

What you just said here proves the hype, he hasn't worked his way to the "top" he's worked his way to becoming a contender. Last I checked being a contender was not the top of the sport.

Or how about people in this thread talking him up? There's a post right above yours calling him a top 5 guy 147. Are you kidding me?

Yes, the kid has talent, but he is just a contender fighting fringe level competition. Can we wait til he fights a top guy before we call him the next superstar of boxing like all the British fans are claiming on NSB right now?
                  His post didn't say he had "worked" his way to the top it said he was "working" his way to the top.

Last I checked being a contender and putting yourself in a position to fight for a title is working your way to the top.

And don't pigionhole all British fans you make yourself sound silly.

Comment

Nah, his next fight is against another unproven fighter.

Comment

The difference between the hype that comes out of HBO and ShowTime is it's not regional based, meaning they don't just over hype Americans, they over hype fighters all around the world.

However, more often then not British broadcasting just over hypes their own. It's not a bad thing, it just speak about how your society works.

The same goes for when Sky and Box Nation open root for and cheer for British boxers when they are covering fights. HBO and Showtime might be biased towards certain fighters, but they don't open cheer and root for them during their broadcasts.
                      Yes they just try to hide it. But not very well. Watching Jim Lampley burst into tears whenever Cotto fights is not exactly sly.

Comment

Working...
                      X