Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rios-Alvarado for me is what boxing entertainment is all about!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DLT View Post
    This is the argument I hate the most in boxing. How can you call yourself a boxing fan and not appreciate a great chess match? The fact is boxing is different styles. Last nights fight was awesome but I could watch a high skilled chess match with the same enthusiasm.

You guys say that these types of fights always win FOTY and that 90% of boxing fans like this more but thats the problem. Why would you wanna think as mainstream fans do? Anyone can appreciate a brawl? It takes no knowledge of the sport to watch that but you have to know boxing and love it inside out to see all the finer entrancies that a chess match brings.

Boxing is an art just as much as a brutal sport. Dont tell me that a guy is a boring coward just because he chooses to not willingly get hit or because he's a complete fighter. Dont get me wrong, there are boring chess matches. There is no doubt about that. There are also some boring brawls where you can see that there is no skill involved.

Last nights fight was skillful brawling. Maybe not at the highest skill level but they were both beast. Still, the point is that if you are a boxing fan then you should be able to appreciate both. Maybe you arent at the level where you can appreciate them equally but you should still appreciate both.

The fact still remains that its easier to master being a face 1st brawler than it is to master being a pure boxer. There is something to say for a smaller, weaker man winning a fight or outclassing a guy because he has mastered the art. Thats what makes the sport great.

All different styles. I love them all but I tend to take up for pure boxers more because pretty much everyone ****s on them. I can understand a mainstream fan doing that but a boxing fan should be able to appreciate the art in it

At the end of the day its a FIGHT. Not Capoeira where 2 guys dance in front of eachother without throwing blows. I love a good technical match where the fighters actually try to hit/hurt one another in a methodical fashion. What I cant stand is to watch 2 guys stand in front of eachother for 12 rounds just feinting, jabbing, pawing, and potshotting. Where's the entertainment in that?
    Last edited by Deevel916; 10-14-2012, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Entertaining bout that turned out to be a FIGHT as advertized ! Both men are to be congradulated for their efforts and willingness to put it ALL on the line!!
      I enjoy technical abilities as much as anyone but this BRAWL was filled with techniques but the average fan only considers some guy dancing ala Ali as a "skilled" fighter! If there were more fighters who knew how to fight at close range you'd see them winning titles and putting the sport on notice. People don't want to see Sergio running around the ring never mounting an effort to stop Junior!!
      The reason for the Pacman/ Floyd hype is because one man comes to fight and apply pressure and the other moves and looks to counter, thats a good match!! A better match for the fans are what these two young men performed last night!!! No time to blink, all action and honest efforts to win!!
      Ray.

Comment

This is the argument I hate the most in boxing. How can you call yourself a boxing fan and not appreciate a great chess match? The fact is boxing is different styles. Last nights fight was awesome but I could watch a high skilled chess match with the same enthusiasm.

You guys say that these types of fights always win FOTY and that 90% of boxing fans like this more but thats the problem. Why would you wanna think as mainstream fans do? Anyone can appreciate a brawl? It takes no knowledge of the sport to watch that but you have to know boxing and love it inside out to see all the finer entrancies that a chess match brings.

Boxing is an art just as much as a brutal sport. Dont tell me that a guy is a boring coward just because he chooses to not willingly get hit or because he's a complete fighter. Dont get me wrong, there are boring chess matches. There is no doubt about that. There are also some boring brawls where you can see that there is no skill involved.

Last nights fight was skillful brawling. Maybe not at the highest skill level but they were both beast. Still, the point is that if you are a boxing fan then you should be able to appreciate both. Maybe you arent at the level where you can appreciate them equally but you should still appreciate both.

The fact still remains that its easier to master being a face 1st brawler than it is to master being a pure boxer. There is something to say for a smaller, weaker man winning a fight or outclassing a guy because he has mastered the art. Thats what makes the sport great.

All different styles. I love them all but I tend to take up for pure boxers more because pretty much everyone ****s on them. I can understand a mainstream fan doing that but a boxing fan should be able to appreciate the art in it
        The best post I've read in this thread...

Comment

This **** is just dumb. The inside game is just like chess on it's own. Obviously you don't ****ing know much about boxing because that's where the most thinking comes into play. You always have to be on par or ahead of your opponent because if you fall behind you're beyond ****ed.

I really don't get how being a brawler or inside fighter is easier than using footwork to maintain a proper distance and jabbing. Being inside is DEFENSE FIRST and offense secondary in most situations. But everyone thinks its two guys throwing their hands with zero idea how to defend themselves. There have always been "weaker guys" throughout history who fought inside. It's a shame that you generalize and don't know much about the sport.

These two men showed heart, skill, determination, and some damn good chins.

As for casual fans, they see punches being thrown into other peoples faces. That's it. Sometimes they hit and land more often then others. That simple

Comment

I didn't really enjoy the fight that much. It was a very low skilled affair.

Comment

Lol i guess some people would rather watch two "highly skilled" dudes dance around a ring and feather fist each other and hug, rather than two obviously well conditoned bad a**es fight and trade on the inside

Comment

Though Rios definately needs to work on his defense, his skill on the inside is crazy, that's the hardest place to be in a match. All the guys he's fought and actually opened themselves up on trenches lost, that's what happened to Alverado, he was getting worn with body shots, head shots, he couldn't keep up the movement, he fell right into Rios' strengths.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                  I didn't really enjoy the fight that much. It was a very low skilled affair.
                  Lmao@you sig with that statement.

Comment

I find it funny that the people that say they didn't enjoy it are the people that like watching Bernard Hopkins tap an opponent twice, then grab him, then push him away and throw another shot. Or Andre Ward grab every 15 seconds, or Tim Bradley, Devon Alexander etc. Lol. It was a great fight that showed skill as well. Fighting inside like that is not easy, you're not just throwing punches, anyone who has fought themselves knows that.

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
                      There are fights like this all over the place in seedy town halls to tents , Ive seen 100s of 6 rnd wars , 2 guys banging on each other , thats the difference between a fan of the fights or a fan of boxing , to be honest give me a chess match fight between elite fighters any day of the week , any tough guy can lead with their head , I admire their courage but they dont empress me as boxers .
                      You clearly don`t **** about boxing. Fighting on the inside is a skill. Being able to stay composed and throw combos while in close with another man trying to take your head off is not easy to do. It requires great technique, focus and BALLS!!

I bet you haven't boxed a single round in your life.

Comment

Working...
                      X