Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miguel Cotto vs. Ricky Hatton at 140 pounds. Who would have won?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    Kosta Tszyu was Hatton's best win at 140.

Certainly better than anything Cotto did at 140.
    Absolutely. And Cotto didn't do much at the weight, you're right. Still would favor Cotto.

Comment

• Originally posted by V.WEBB View Post
      Absolutely. And Cotto didn't do much at the weight, you're right. Still would favor Cotto.
      Yeah, I favour him too.

But I think it would be a competitive fight and Cotto at 140 isn't the same Cotto at 147.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cigarillo View Post
        Paulie laid one on his ass too. Cotto had a suspect chin no matter how we slice it. Hatton was strong, fast, had damn good foot speed, good power and was relentless at 140...and HEALTHY.

I like his chances over Cotto.
        Go and watch Bailey vs Cotto. Cotto took some serious bombs in the first round.

It is sad that the fight never happened. After Cotto beat Torres, Hatton beat Maussa in an unification match. Hatton vs Cotto was the fight to make, but Hatton went to WW. If his management didnt want that fight, that was bad. That was to prove who was the best at that weight. Now we are here talking about stupid fantasy fights. C'est la vie.

Comment

• Hatton would easily have made it an inside fight, Cotto had virtually no inside game early in his career and didn't even know to clinch to protect himself against Margarito.

As mentioned Cotto's chin wasn't great at 140 either and Hatton's work-rate was ridiculous.

Comment

Yeah, I favour him too.

But I think it would be a competitive fight and Cotto at 140 isn't the same Cotto at 147.
            I initially said that Cotto would win easily..but really thinking about, it more than likely would have been more competitive than I originally thought.

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
            Hatton would easily have made it an inside fight, Cotto had virtually no inside game early in his career and didn't even know to clinch to protect himself against Margarito.

As mentioned Cotto's chin wasn't great at 140 either and Hatton's work-rate was ridiculous.
            Cotto could box AND punch. He would have been able to neutralize Hatton coming in and Cotto was pretty big for the weight (I guess the same can be said for Ricky).

Comment

• Originally posted by V.WEBB View Post
              Cotto could box AND punch. He would have been able to neutralize Hatton coming in and Cotto was pretty big for the weight (I guess the same can be said for Ricky).
              Yeah but he had no inside game worthy of the name, Margo got inside and fcuked him up. Cotto didn't know what to do, he was like Kessler v Ward.

Hatton could take Tszyu's hardest shots at that point so power punching is not an issue, Cotto was never a huge puncher anyway.

I like Miguel Cotto, I think he's a very talented boxer but he has his weaknesses too and two of his major weaknesses are his engine and his inside game which were two of Hatton's strengths. Factor in a questionable chin at 140 and it's hard to see how Cotto wins, let alone easily. Styles make fights.

It's a shame the fight didn't happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
                Yeah but he had no inside game worthy of the name, Margo got inside and fcuked him up.
                First of all, Cotto did have a good inside game. He was a body snatcher with that left hook. He doesn't use it as much anymore unfortunately.

Second, how well do you think Hatton would have done against the bigger (and possibly plastered) Margarito? I personally think Ricky wouldn't be able to hurt him and fighting inside would be to Margarito's advatage in a big way. I'd be surprised if he could make it 11 rounds like Miguel did.

Comment

• Originally posted by PinoyNation View Post
                  First of all, Cotto did have a good inside game. He was a body snatcher with that left hook. He doesn't use it as much anymore unfortunately.
                  He still doesn't have one, although he is more intelligent now about how to deal with inside fighters.

Btw, throwing a left hook to the body isn't the same as having an 'inside game'.

Second, how well do you think Hatton would have done against the bigger (and possibly plastered) Margarito? I personally think Ricky wouldn't be able to hurt him and fighting inside would be to Margarito's advatage in a big way. I'd be surprised if he could make it 11 rounds like Miguel did.
                  Hatton would have struggled against Margarito, he wasn't great at WW never mind fighting a big WW like Margarito. However, Cotto was a sitting duck when Margo got in close in the first fight, Ricky would at least have tried to tie him up.

Comment

• By "inside game" do you mean the ability to hug and clinch up when in close? If so I have to agree that Cotto wasn't very good at doing that.

Comment

Yeah, I favour him too.

You're right, he was better at 140.

Comment

Working...
                      X