Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can anyone defend Hopkins in the “who ducked who” wars for Roy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
    I'm not saying it was Roy's problem, I'm giving u the perspective of hopkins and whether u agree with it or not is totally irrelevant because that was Bernards stance. u can hold the opinion that hopkins should have done this or that but that doesn't mean he ducked jones because you believe he should have taken the deal that was on the table. both guys could have made the fight happen if they really wanted to but didn't.
    Jones offering 60/40 is a realistic offer, 50/50 for both fighter for where they were in their career wasn’t realistic and the fact that the guy who called the other one out doesn’t bend makes me think it was a duck but certainly he was the main reason the fight didn’t happen. Not Roy.

Comment

Roy Jones offering Bernard Hopkins 40% of the split with him was an overwhelmingly reasonable offer.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Roy Jones offering Bernard Hopkins 40% of the split with him was an overwhelmingly reasonable offer.
        not in hopkins mind and that's what counts. plus its not as if jones was some super ppv attraction himself either. as good as he was he was never really a big time star.

Comment

B-hop is a legend, wether you fanboys like it or not!

Comment

Originally posted by pturtle View Post
            Jones offering 60/40 is a realistic offer, 50/50 for both fighter for where they were in their career wasn’t realistic and the fact that the guy who called the other one out doesn’t bend makes me think it was a duck but certainly he was the main reason the fight didn’t happen. Not Roy.
            apples and oranges, all water under the freaking bridge right now...

yeah back in 2001-2002, yeah everbody was saying bernard hopkins was either ******ed, or purposely pricing himself out of the fight, but as of right now, looking at how their careers have panned out since then, if ya take away the 1 mediocre win that roy jones had over bernard hopkins in 93, a fight that nobody even cared about, had no sizzle, crackle, or pop whatsoever, hell most ppl probably never knew the fight existed until the advent of youtube, bernard hopkins winning the middleweight tournament, and roy jones being the p4p #1/lightheavy champ, but could never make the claim of being the cash cow, would have been a 50/50 fight imo...hell roy jones jr., was never the cash cow of the sport...

Comment

Originally posted by -Huey- View Post
              B-hop is a legend, wether you fanboys like it or not!
              nothing else needs to be said except this. b-hop haters lol, that is laughable at best. amazing the way people's minds work...

Comment

I don't see what was wrong with 50-50, I thought it was fair. It's funny how today people like to reflect on Roy like he was some Mayweather/De La Hoya money generating PPV superstar, truth is that wasn't the case at all.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                  I don't see what was wrong with 50-50, I thought it was fair. It's funny how today people like to reflect on Roy like he was some Mayweather/De La Hoya money generating PPV superstar, truth is that wasn't the case at all.
                  somebody pull up that 60-40 youtube vid, because on it, even george foreman said, they should just split the purse, and make the fight...honestly how much money was on the table? 5 mil maybe?...you don't think hopkins didn't do the math on a 60-40 split? he knew that he had to get 50-50, or he'd be getting peanuts, AND standing a good chance of losing the fight...

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
                    somebody pull up that 60-40 youtube vid, because on it, even george foreman said, they should just split the purse, and make the fight...honestly how much money was on the table? 5 mil maybe?...you don't think hopkins didn't do the math on a 60-40 split? he knew that he had to get 50-50, or he'd be getting peanuts, AND standing a good chance of losing the fight...
                    yeah, a lot of people act like this was a pac-floyd type of fight. As weird as it may seem to us hardcore fans it wasn't a huge money fight, even at it's peak.

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
                      apples and oranges, all water under the freaking bridge right now...

yeah back in 2001-2002, yeah everbody was saying bernard hopkins was either ******ed, or purposely pricing himself out of the fight, but as of right now, looking at how their careers have panned out since then, if ya take away the 1 mediocre win that roy jones had over bernard hopkins in 93, a fight that nobody even cared about, had no sizzle, crackle, or pop whatsoever, hell most ppl probably never knew the fight existed until the advent of youtube, bernard hopkins winning the middleweight tournament, and roy jones being the p4p #1/lightheavy champ, but could never make the claim of being the cash cow, would have been a 50/50 fight imo...hell roy jones jr., was never the cash cow of the sport...
                      For someone who is not a big fan of B-Hop you sure seem compelled to defend him not matter what, bringing every other thing up, at the end of the day, at that time, Roy was making money only Bernard could dream of at the time, Roy had much better wins, bigger name, bigger draw, best fighter in the world, being the biggest draw in the world doesn’t matter when your in negotiations with a guy who couldn’t sell out in his own hometown. During THAT time Bernard was offered a very good deal and turned it down. I don’t know why you guys keep bringing up other things like Bernard’s managers and promoters robbing him, or Roy not being the biggest ppv attraction at the time. B-Hop fans are just as bad as Floyd’s and Pac’s and whatever else group there is I see
                      Last edited by pturtle; 09-30-2012, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X